2021- First trip of the year!

First ride! Too cold to take pics unfortunately, -8C
I realised that my gripless deck turns sliiiiiippery in ice temperatures :grinning:

Show your first ride of 2021!

1 Like

I will wait till March/April.
I bought Drysuit but with our -12 degrees last night and now ice on my preferred lake I lost my mood for efoiling :woozy_face:

1 Like

You know that drysuit will probably start to mold if you don’t use it at least a few times this winter :wink:

I had to change all the seals on my suit so now i better get out there to get something back!

!
3 Likes

Where there’s a will there’s a way :wink:
But I am cheating a bit, definitely not my first ride this year…

10 Likes

Metr records tells me that I was out as soon as blood alc level was back to normal. That how to start a new year.

First carbon icebreaker that ive seen.
If you can afford it, you can afford punishing it…

I am ready to admit it… I thought I had overdone it during the session, but apparently this thing is built like a tank. Not a scratch on it. But undoubtedly there is a “the ice is too thick”. I am NOT willing to find out where it is…

I found out this weekend that the ice limit is quite low for props made from PLA with carbon skin :smile:

1 Like

Nearby lake opened up enough to get in the water! My first session of the year

2 Likes

seems most of you ride wetsuits still, what thicknesses? my suit is 5/3 and can get a bit too cold. With the drysuit i get too cold fingers, especially on the trigger.

Well, I think the drysuit vs wetsuit debate is overrated, both work well and it is all just preference. I have the Patagonia R5 (6,5mm) + ION hoodie and was never cold at all where the wetsuit protects. Feet and hand are a different story, though.

I have the Patagonia R4 gloves (lobster) and still have to switch hands from time to time to give the trigger finger a chance to stay somewhat warm.

Booties - Patagonia R5 and currently the weakest point. Will upgrade with additional
Neoprene socks soon.

That wetsuit is a 4/5/6 and does a pretty good at keeping water out. I have a drysuit that could be warmer depending on what wore underneath with but wetsuit is easier to get into and is a little more comfortable. My drysuit is inner bag suit and outer .5mm neoprone with latex seals.

If I was crashing more or kiting I would have used the drysuit.

Also air temp was a like 50F so it was pretty warm.

Yeah, i agree. I’d rather use the wetsuit when i can though, i don’t like the choking feeling of the drysuit neck seal. I just replaced the seals so now i am in the process of cutting one ring on the seal each time i go out.

You need to ride more dynamically and switch speeds. Try ocean instead :slight_smile:

I ride with 6/4 RRD hooded wetsuit (can recommend as it’s dry inside) with long underwear and a turtleneck. 3mm gloves and 7mm Boots that leak a little. For me Boots are the weak link. Have 3 diff pairs, but they never stay dry.

Was -17C here tonight, that must be close to 0F… Becoming tought to find water in fluid state nowadays.

Soon it’ll be only the sea available! Problem is that it’s not as accessible as the 5000 lakes ’round here and i wouldn’t want to have a breakdown and blow away to denmark in sub-zero temps :smiley:

I cracked today because the ice in Berlin doesn’t anymore. Baltic Sea for the win…

The lake I went to a couple days ago all refroze. Just had <0F (-17C) last night, I think it might be a couple weeks again before I hit the water…

Denmark no worries they would offer you some “hygge”, think about our friend in Sthlm, they would drift into the hands of Putin…