3D printer choices

Really an impressive printer. How much if I may ask ?

Doing some reading on Bambu vs Creality and the new products support a WiFi connection.
Some of the obvious advantages are eliminating the SD card transfer of data, and separate locations for PC and printer etc but the language around whether the “connection” to the manufactures site isn’t very clear as to how much value it is to the end user.

Do you have to have “log in” to use the printer?
Is the library of designs useful.
Etc

Well sorry i dont know, i always use the mac / iphone app to monitor the prints when not at home…
The app is great to receive alerts (end of filament, spaghettis…), The micro SD route was a pain for me even with the printer close to my computer, wifi way is so much smoother and faster

Are we talking bambu here?

So when you use the app on your phone out of range of your wifi (cell connected) are you logging into the manufactures site or the printer
via its own embedded server?

I started with a Prusa MK3+ but now I love my new Bambula X1. Crazy printer, unbelievable speed and quality. PLA, PETG and PLA CF always a success and awesome result. ASA and high temperature filaments is still a challenge for me. The new PATH CF is expensive but absolut worth to buy, especially for usage under water!

Bambu ASA 0,2 nozzle highest quality level

8 Likes

They had the Printer + AMS combo for $1299 instead of $1499 during black friday. I bought the textured PEI plate and a bunch of ABS filament as well. They freqently have sales on filament, especially in ABS, which makes it the same price as PLA. I dont even bother printing in PLA anymore.

2 Likes

Both Creality and Bambu seem to offer or perhaps require connection to their respective site. I think they both offer wifi connectivity of the printer to your router but I’m trying to determine if you can run the printer with all features “locally” or you are required to be logged in to the manufacture site to get full function.

There is a LAN only mode but you will lose access between the Bambu Handy app and the machine and lose remote capability using the app. All other features are retained including camera connection to your PC.

1 Like

Creality has allowed users to root them which gives full functionality through orca on a local network. If you out and about and want to monitor remotely then I’ve only used crealitys app. To be honest I’m home most of the time so haven’t actually looked for a alternative for remote monitoring… A simple workaround would just be a remote desktop into my PC though

1 Like

@mekanism and @Jezza

Thanks for the info. I don’t really see myself with a need to “remotely” manage/monitor the printer although I can see why that capability would be useful to others.

Nice equipment from both vendors - analysis paralysis plus trying to justify the investment has set in :grinning:

1 Like

Has anyone been seduced by the Prusa MK4 and its 250 x 210 x 220mm printing volume ?

I point a blink webcam at my prints nice to check if its still rollin. Gotta say my elcheapo ender 3 neo has been dam good so far…1 year. Its almost disposable cheap.

1 Like

Qidi xplus3
Unique advantages are 350c nozzle and 65c heated chamber.

I use it as well for drying. Put the filament under cartoon box onto something on the bad. For example 65c chamber + 85c bed gets me 65c filament temperature. 100c bed gets me 75c filament temperature.
That is a real measured drying temperature , not confuse with bamboo prescription for it’s printer.

So I print PC at 300-330. Depends on the blend, Gizmo-dorks is problematic, because it is more pure PC, will see if the chamber and the bed temperature in xplus3 is enough.
I plan PC for the propeller.

Recently fall in love with Torwell petg , it does not brake, only flexes.

What print quality to expect from a Bambulab X1C ? By Louis, 3D printed pumping foil board maker.

I’ve been using an Ender v2 with Cura for some time. Never did much - and I guess thats the beauty of it - it just works and was cheap (so you never have to spend time messing around with settings). A bonus of this printer is the volume of help online (do not underestimate this if you’re new to 3d printing). A big help has been the youtuber CHEP/FilamentFriday - he has loads of free profiles which have greatly improved quality and, more importantly, speed.
However now I’ve started this project I am now reverse engineering the decision on which printer to use/buy based on what are the best materials (filament or other techniques) for achieving the strength we need - for props, motor mounts etc. This seems to be somewhat debated. I always thought that PLA was weakest and ABS stronger and PETG in between but more forgiving (so more durable), and PETG-CF a bit stronger again. However, I just discovered this very interesting filament guide by Bambu (obviously its about their product) -including toughness, stiffness, strength and all the printing properties.
Something mentioned at the very end of this document is annealing… never thought about this for 3D printing but it makes sense. Anyone doing this?
Based on reviews, I’m certain my next printer will be a Bambu (P1S or newer).

After a long period of analysis/paralysis I purchased a Bambu X1 C with their AMS and am printing lots of fairly useless items at high speed while getting to know the new setup. :grinning:

I am now looking at 3D scanning and would prefer to use my IPhone 13 Pro ( with lidar) as the input device rather than buy a dedicated scanner device.

Would appreciate any guidance on this scanner device😀

2 Likes

You will have a lot of fun with this printer. I have mine pretty exactly one year now and more than 3600 hours on the clock. Except for replacing the bowden tubes and printing with the third nozzle, nothing else had to get replaced.

1 Like

I am quite impressed with the Bambu ecosystem. Big change in speed of production as the printer is so much faster

Have you ever tried any of the 3D scanner options??

At one point I was also considering buying a 3D scanner. I investigated the subject and figured out that you need a dedicated HW Scanner to get half way useful results. Costs around 1000€. But for the model I was looking at, you also needed a gaming PC or laptop because of the graphics adapter requitements so I would have ended up spending roughly 2500€. That was too much…

1 Like