Any interest in custom Direct Drive Inrunner

Can’t wait to see the results of these trials !
Which cable gland do you use for your motors ,?

Looking forward to seeing it also.

Very nice. Can you give us your motor dimensions ?

Sure:
grafik

It might seem a bit thick, but it’s worth investing the dia.
The result is very strong torque at low motor amps, so it’s much easier to run it with a normal vesc six.

2 Likes

Thanks for your feedback
Is it waterproof?
Would it be possible to get a test unit?

1 Like

Very nice work! Let me know when I can buy one. Thinking about doing the other way around again :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very nice work! I am keen on trying one as well. What props do you have in mind for this?

I saw that you used laser cut parts for the rotor. I have an excellent yet cheap source for lasercutting in Hungary if you need.

Hi @MaxMaker,

thanks;-)
The big advantage is you can use a wide variety of props.
I tested also 7" dia by 8" pitch props. The torque is plenty to run them without big problem.
For best performance in combination with the VESC, though, I designed a prop/duct combination to get the maximum of power out:

4 Likes

Forgot to add, prop and duct are designed to be printed, so it’s easy to get it made or make it on your own :call_me_hand:
… and of course it’s fully waterproof :wink:

2 Likes

Cool. I am prop and motor testing right now. Can I try out your propeller design?

:slight_smile:
I hope the project goes well.
You wrote you are using a vesc.
Do you have any values from the motor tests for us?

Hi @overdrive, yes it’s going well👍 Sure here is one Oct 13, 2019 - metr.at | aeqsV
Feel free for any questions!

1 Like

1 Like

Peter,
Winter is here now so its going to be a few month before I need to make a decision on what my next motor solution will be. I was wondering when do you hope to have this motor ready to sell.

Hi @Mac, Motor is in testing;-)

…And pre production of series conform motors started. We will take the time to test it in Detail.
I will let you know as soon as it’s are ready to ship. This should be around end of january.:call_me_hand:
9 Likes

What’s the top speed you have tested the motor to?

1 Like

Yes, i am also interested for that and some more datas…

1 Like

Yes, I can confirm @Peter’s motor looks very promising. I have been testing it for a month now together with Nick’s VESC. The setup is super silent in FOC mode. Tested it in many conditions: waves, storm, flat water, light friends, heavy friends, high efficiency setups at only 13A foiling, high power towing tests,… This past weekend we tested it with various combinations of the new 2020 Axis wings. We are working towards a new DIY reference design. More soon.

8 Likes

I topped out at 43.6kph with my 3D printed prop and with the 3D printed duct (!). The duct adds quite some drag a these speeds, haven’t had a chance to test without. The limit was set by my 100A battery current limit which I reached at this speed. 125A motor amps. Lot’s of power that motor.

3 Likes

Excellent work guys! Sounds very promising.