Anyone have any thoughts on this setup?

I confess I don’t have much depth of knowledge about this so take my comments for what they are worth😉

It looks like this device is a reasonable match for the 10S pack but there is no way to adjust anything or at least it appears to be a fixed output.

I like the variable bench style PS as it allows
more options. For example if for
some reason I alter the pack into a 12S configuration I can use the same PS or set the output to any value within its range.

I also don’t like pushing things to the limit of their published spec so I will only charge the 10S pack to 41V

You should be very carefull just bulk charging until you are the bms installed in that pack is balancing properly. I suggest you take it apart and get rid of that bms and check your s group balance before you do anything to charge it.
You can initially bulk charge under carefull supervision but eventually you need a balancer for charging or a all the time balancer. bms is optional.
It is possible the installed bms is balancing properly but be sure…

Ask more questions if this is not clear.

1 Like

I wasn’t planning to bulk charge without any balancing. I believe I can charge it through the existing BMS. From the Youtube comments where they disassembled the pack there was some discussion about the BMS and a few people reported they could charge with it once it was activated by shorting the yellow and purple leads. So I’ll try that just to get a little more voltage on the pack. If it doesn’t work then I’ll have to take it apart and check the balance manually like you said. From there maybe bulk charge to 37V

I think that charger will work for one of these 10S packs. The cells in these packs are LG INR21700M50LT, datasheet says they are rated to charge at 1.455A. This charger claims 10A at 42V. Being an 11p pack that would mean 10A/11 = 0.91A per cell group. So this would charge well within the amp rating for the cells.
The one caveat that @Foilguy mentioned, this charger will go to 42V and cannot be adjusted. So you would potentially be fully charging the pack each time. This is fine, but it’s common to charge to a slightly lower voltage (like 41V, or 41.5V in this case) to have a little margin for balancing and also to improve longevity of the pack. LiIon cells last longer when they aren’t fully charged (and discharged) during a use cycle. You could use this charger and just unplug early (but who has time for that!) or get a smart BMS where you can set the full charge voltage to whatever you want.

1 Like

Well looks like I waited too long because the batteries are no longer available.

I was planning on a BMS thats why I asked above if I should go 40a or 60a BMS.

Dang, they did take it off! Last week they claimed to have ~175 in stock, so strange that it’s gone. I would email them and ask what happened. Maybe they plan to auction them off in bulk but would still sell you one if you ask, doesn’t hurt to try. I don’t see them listed as an auction yet so they could be flexible. Once an auction is posted I doubt they would want to sell off anything individually from that lot.

If I recall correctly the initial listing was a quantity of “new” packs and a separate quantity at a slightly less $ that were “used”.
Same product but some were sold as never been used or “new”

They both sold out.

Then the “used” version was posted again which is the lot that now seems to have either sold out or has been removed from sale for whatever reason.

They may have a source of the product where more are coming in the future.

I agree that the only way to find out is to contact the BH people directly.

@S_Roger @Foilguy I contacted them and they are sold out. The “Hope” to have more in next few months. Looks like build is on hold for a bit

Hopefully they get more in. :grinning:

If you decide to build a pack check Post 53 of @vincent Build on a weekend thread as it is imo an excellent example of how to use these cells to build a pack.

@Foilguy The whole appeal of those packs was not having to build as I dont own any of the tools/supplies needed to build my own battery pack. And of course cost. By the time I purchased the tools, materials, batteries etc we are looking at the $1000 range. I was trying to make sure the fliteboard I purchased wasnt a scam from facebook before ordering the battery.

You had mentioned before that you didn’t have a welder etc. and I agree these preconfigured packs are a great deal.

However if BH doesn’t get more in you will still need a battery pack to get on the water😀

If you HAVE to build then buying a good welder like Kweld, nickel strips etc. would be a significant capital outlay but you could recover a large portion of that $ by selling the welder once your done.

@Foilguy well fortunately for the problem of not being on the water I have the tools for that lol. I have a Nautique G23 and while it may not be foiling theres plenty of wake surfing done.

1 Like

That’s a NICE boat!!

Could always foil on the Fliteboard behind the boat!! Tricky driving and riding the board at the same time though!!:crazy_face:

1 Like

With that boat you better get on the wakefoil or give the boat to me :wink:

@Jezza Thats what the Phase five gizmo is for. The fliteboard is for when the kids want to go back to the dock I can still play lol.

Found one of these batteries on eBay for double what BH was selling for. While its still a good deal I’m making a lower offer to see what I can get one for.

I can reccomend you a Huawei R4850 or R4830 power supply with variable Voltage and Current. For 80 bucks you can even monitor the battery status via Web. Its silent, powerful and compact. Then get a cheap charge only BMS and you have a complete 3000W System for under 100$
For spotwelding go with k-weld

2 Likes

Why not get two of these plug-and-play drone packs ?
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-high-capacity-battery-20000mah-6s-12c-drone-lipo-pack-xt90.html.

Put em in series and you get 12s 888Wh capacity, enough for 1.5h playtime
For charging any 12s charger/balancer will do, available at regular rc hobby store.

edit: available per end january

I had looked at doing something like that but those are:

Yeah they sell out quick, but they regularly have new stock.
The page says “ETA: End Jan 2024”

A little less capacity but,
these are a still few available:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-high-capacity-14000mah-6s-12c-multi-rotor-lipo-pack-w-xt90.html.