Assist / Light build from France [maytech kit]

No waves, but good riding in the ocean, with 1050&1450
Removed the stab rake shim, and when the foil mast is all the way back in the board, the setup is balanced.

Yesterday, I had a mishap when I wanted to catch the last rays of sun and have a sweet sunset ride. The way my box is setup, my forearm has a tendency to catch on the box latch.
I did not notice, and the box got some water ingress from the lid.
The vesc is dead, I tried a repair but the material I had on hand was not up to the task to solder some jumpers on the mcu.

After the failure

Lucky for my weekend I had a spare and could swap it out.
I will order some varnish in order to increase the water resistance. Considering potting the esc, but there is always a balance between ease of service and water resistance…

Now running the straps way tighter and above the front clip.

2 Likes

The mast in the pic looks like 1.5m because of the angle of photo :rofl:

I have to rework the hub, I tried to get max fold of the blades to reduce drag, but they fail to deploy.
System is stable, tested for the first time with the 1950 foil, needed 45% throttle to start, foiling at 30%. For the h1050, I need 10S or more as the start on 7s is only possible with full battery now.

Now trying to pump foil with the motor to get started, to remove need for a dock.

What max motor current are you running on the 84100?

I was thinking of getting a trampa vesc6, it supposedly has a max motor current of 120A which might be too little, I want more headroom in the esc so the makerbase 84100 might be a better option. What do you think?

tested the 84100 up to 165A phase in no hw limit firmware. Up to 190A in special high current mode but overheats in seconds then. 165A can be handled for >30 seconds if cooled.

Had another good session today, up/downwind trying to cut off motor and glide + pump on the downwind. The lake bumps were not quite strong enough.

Went for a 75cm mast now, and I run the motor pod all the way up.
Prepping for the ocean this summer :star_struck:

2 Likes

Can never have too many spare blades.
Asa-kevlar, asa, and pla-cf
Pla-cf is the stiffest.

1 Like

Crusing setup, keeping this board for my wife to use

Can Switch pretty quick from e-foil to pump with the QR motor mount.

3 Likes

On the coast for two week, worked on my pseudo dw board.

Made the battery box hole bigger for the camdenboss box, with fiberglass layup, and inserts in the bottom for the safety straps.

Ordered a png1300 with carbon mast, that I will receive on wednesday.

Used the assist motor on a small boat, very fun and fast :joy: but probably not enouth for tow-in.

E-foil motor to small boat

Also diy stab from 3d printed mold, my own design 330mm wide stab. First test of forged carbon process.

3 Likes

Had to do fiberglass again due to not taking into account the cable exit :person_facepalming:

Png1300 due today :v:

2 Likes

First test in the water with PNG1300 and carbon mast, nice glide and lift, could pump surf motor out some tiny ondulations/swell. UP/downwind style was fun but the session on one battery was quite short due to lack of wind and swell.

Board still takes some water, have to add fairing compound around the tube.

Tried flat sup paddle start without motor, board shape IS not giving enouth lenghtwise stability, I just go round and round :rofl:.

Pure pumping will be quite cool with this foil, but it is not so easy to start from sketchy setups.

3 Likes

Png 1300 is a good pump wing, but quite slow. Battery life will be short due to its high drag. For foil assist, it is better to use more modern wings like ART Pro. I use 1201 (*fixed) - decent speed, low drag, pumps well at speed.

I tested the 1401, and was quite impressed by the efficiency. The 1300 was available at a very good Price with carbon mast, small stab, short fuse, already quite a step UP from the takoon 1950 xv2 I used so far (very good beginner, pumped it for 1min30)

1210, do you mean 1201 art pro? A Friend has one but did not test it yet.

Diy Board shape is really not suited for foil, toutchdowns are a bitch with the pointy nose. Just starting to figure out the png1300, i am really on the speed limit with this kind of waves. I have to pitch down way more than I expected to make it work and just figured that AT the end of the session when it was almost dark. The spot has more than 300 meters worth of waves that does not break AT high tide. Very good session and learning :fire:
1h on the water with 7s4p 21700

3 Likes

Lost one propeller blade on today session. Bolt and blade were gone. I had no thread Locker :sweat_smile: lucky I was close to the support boat. I had spares of both but not on the boat.

Ran the motor much lower for e-foil mode on flat water, also works. I wanted to get my dad to test it, but that’s when the vibrations indicated the Lost blade.

Had a great Time in pumping/surfoil behind the boat.

2 Likes

Motor out pumping/dw

Board is very heavy as it’s taking some water in the motor wire tube.

Also fils some water around the battery box. Those two things get the board weight close to 10kg without the 3kg of the assist. Quite a workout !

1 Like

Did you ever solve this?

Yes, changed some settings, changed to 6384, changed to 3 blade prop.
Probably a combinaison of smoother 3 blade and 6384 motor settings.

Popped a pcb capacitor on the vesc. Happened AT plug-in, quite suspicious as it is the exact same failure point on the pcb as last 60100hp in may. I trough it was water ingress AT the time.

Removed the cap and repaired the trace, controller is still working, but i’m not too confident.

My QR mast mount IS showing signs of end of life, using it on the boat did not help for sure.

Uploading: 7a403056-be48-44da-be6a-b10815ed596b-1_all_47257.jpg…

Are you using antispark connectors for the battery to vesc connection?