Build on a Weekend

Really impressive work. Thanks for sharing! I am planing something similar, but got my hands just on the bigger non pro Fliteboard V1 Version.

Look what just arrived.

The one on the left is from @MBard (anodized black) and the one on the right is from @vincent
(material used is Aluminum 7075). The CNC work was done by PCBway.com

Both fit perfectly, the only main difference being is the way the VESC is mounted.

Thank you both for all your help!

I will soon create a new thread about my build.

8 Likes

Very nice. What did you pay?

1 Like

I am considering buying a “board only” but wondering about a few things

1. can anyone confirm that the “socket” or “ cavity” in the board where the top of the mast/VESC sits is the same in all version/variation of Flightboard?

2. does anyone have measurements of that space?

3. can anyone post some photos about how the motor wires are routed through the adapter plate and how that is sealed to prevent any water from entering the box that houses the VESC?

Thanks

Time taken and cost using pcbway?

Hello Foilguy, I can confirm that the mast mounting is identical for series 1,2 and 3. They differ by a hole in the board of series 2/3 for the status LEDs. On series 1 everything is closed and due to the carbon above the mast box the signal is quite weak, hence the antenna in the front. So it’s just another ESC box on the mast.
There is also no difference in the Mast attachment between Ultra, Pro and Standard.
You can take the dimensions from Marcel’s dxf.
I hope you can see the cable routing when you look at the 3D model or Marcel’s pictures.
I routed the cables in two 90° bends past the PCB into the enclosure. Sealing is possible with Sikaflex, Wagnersil and normal silicone.
Actually, it’s not difficult.
I hope I was able to help you and answer all your questions.

1 Like

@vincent

Thanks for the info. Very helpful!

It’s nice to have confirmation that Flightboard standardized the “socket”. I will likely have to buy new but a used one might come available and this removes the concern over whether something might fit.

Great community here!

Here are the dimensions of my Fibreglass Pro series-3 board (the 67 liter version).
Please note that the 170mm could be +/- 2mm off as it is hard to reach.

4 Likes

@Kian

Thanks for this. I was going to look into how to use the 3D file that mbard posted and now I don’t even need to do that! :grinning:

I have a Flipsky 75200 VESC (water cooled) that I would like to repurpose for this project and now I can determine if it will fit properly.

A friend of mine has the same vesc and has mounted it on an aluminum plate that is attached to the mast base and therefore the mast and has NOT had to implement the watercooling feature. Effectively the same approach as the Flightboard cooling method.

Can you clarify what the 32x25 dimensions section in the cavity is for?

This forum is awesome!!

1 Like

It is used by Fliteboard (note the spelling!) cable output/input for the battery.

2 Likes

Thanks again!

So I’m thinking the “real” Fliteboard😀 mast uses that angle to help ensure the bolt holes on the mast and board line up and their electronics box rests on bottom of the “socket” without any space, that along with the slight inset of the mast plate would make it impossible to make a mistake seating it on the o-ring. Well engineered system!

1 Like

I’m a little puzzled about the need to have the VESC inside a box rather than just attached to the adapter plate. Mbard indicated it was for water protection but if the seals for the top hatch, adapter plate and wire holes are good then water can’t get in unless I don’t understand this properly :grinning: which for me is a regular occurrence.

I guess if you did have a leak the box might help but I’m thinking water could short the battery wires and fry stuff anyway. The box makes for a more robust build if you take the mast off the board.

For these measurements that are difficult to reach but need precision, I use the “double Ice Cream stick measurement method” :wink:

Google did give me nothing, however ChatGPT explained this methode :slight_smile:

1 Like

Based on the excellent dimension layout that @Kian posted and my measurements of the water cooled version of the Flipsky 75200 VESC I’m quite confident the VESC would fit inside the
“Cavity” of the Fliteboard. Please note that the dimensions for this VESC that Flipsky posts in their description is NOT the water cooled version.

The VESC should not require water cooling in this build so the overall length dimension does not include the water fittings and/or tubes (that can be removed)

The VESC has small ears on each bottom corner that are used as points to secure the VESC from moving so the length is 165mm ear to ear. The battery wires and motor wires exit opposite ends so a few mm could be added. This dimension easily falls in the range of 195mm for length of the cavity.

The height dimension at it’s maximum dimension of the aluminum housing is 55mm, again well within the 76mm in the drawing. The bottom of the water cooled version is fairly thick aluminum that has two water channels running lengthwise and is itself something of a heat sink and would bond well with the adapter plate surface.

The width dimension is 68mm, again well within the 95mm in the drawing.

Given the VESC is inside an aluminum casing with what appears to be potting compound the only water exposed parts are the small cable connectors for antennae etc. Water exposure inside the cavity shouldn’t be an issue as I pointed out in a different post.

Now I need to find a good deal on a board!

If for some reason it does not fit, you can always remove the PCB, and fit it directly on the aluminium plate.

That’s what I am doing (like @vincent ) with my Flipsky 75200 VESC.
@MBard left the Flipsky 75200 VESC in the case, but CNC’ed the cooling ribs away.

Just for clarity this is the version of the 75200 I have. I’m not sure the outer case is removable without a lot of work and mess. If for some reason it wouldn’t fit as is I would buy a new vesc.

It’s interesting that this particular model is only available in the water sports group pack now. It is not listed in the ESC portion of the Flipsky website.

I’m happy that you did it the same way. Does everything fit or are there improvements you would do differently next time?

Yes. Everything fits perfect.

Improvements?. Yes. Make a small “chimney” upwards (maybe 10mm high) where the 3 motor wires come up. This can be filed with silicone / potting for extra “water” protection.
On my picture above you can see that I tried to do something like this, but only with silicone.
It would have been perfect if it had some thin aluminium walls around it.

Yes. My VESC (inside) is exactly the same as what you have.

When I ordered it at Flipsky, I ordered the “75200 Aluminum Case”
You ordered the “75200 With Water Cooling Enclosure”.
Again. The PCB inside is exactly the same.

My aluminium case was really easy to remove (4 small screws).

1 Like