Building E-Foil out of Lift 1 Board

Title says it all. New builder (Been neglecting my parts for too long now). I’ve been stuck on the ‘board’ part of the build for too long now, figured it was about time I just bite the bullet and buy one as I live in an apartment in Austin and dont have the environment to build one myself.

Found this deal on facebook marketplace and I think I am going to purchase it for $700 on friday. Figure it would be easy to build out of - I already have a slingshot foil and mast I was planning on using with the board, Last step I guess is just the battery before I start putting things together. Wondering if this is a good approach / will be a easy workaround to the project. Thanks!

Any advice is appreciated!

Planning Specs:
FLIPSKY 65161 Motor
VX3 Remote
FSESC 75300 VESC
Slingshot HoverGlide F5 Kite Mast/Wing Setup
Printed Mounting for motor
Battery: ???
Propeller: ???

Starting with that for only $700 is a no brainer. You can’t anything as good as that unless you have a pro level experience with composites. Snap it up fast!

Hope you’re able to pick the board up, it should be a good platform to work with.

For a slingshot motor mount there is this option (not my own work, I think this was made by @Jezza?):

You’ll need to decide if you want to build your battery pack or buy something pre-assembled. You can run on different voltages, 12S and 14S are the most common. I use a 10S pack and it’s been fine. You’ll need to buy a charger for the battery too.
For propeller an inexpensive option is to buy one from Fliteboard for about $40. You could even go down to Electric Surf Co in Austin (I ordered one from them a few months ago). This prop works pretty well and just needs to be drilled out to 12mm to fit the Flipsky motor.

1 Like

Get a prop from Flying Rodeo. And have a local battery shop make your battery pack. I have the exact same setup expect Axis mast and custom motor. But it worked great for many years!

1 Like

Yeah I agree, turns out he was just out efoiling however and had a leakage problem (water in the chamber). Apparently he just fixed the seal but I imagine I am still going to have to deal with that, as it seems being watertight is much more important with these DIY builds than just running lift electronics

Thats awesome, I was leaning towards a prop from flying rodeo (folding prop maybe??). Not sure though, you based in austin? I love the electric surf co people. Luke is my boy! Had a onewheel for years, great community down here in Austin

You can’t go wrong with Flying Rodeo stuff. A folding prop is a nice since it gives you the option to try poaching some boat wakes.
I live in eastern Pennsylvania, never been to Austin. I just found Electric Surf Co when I was looking for a Flite prop to order.

Maybe look into this

1 Like

I have 2 fliteboards I puit together and never a leak. My buddy has 2 as well no leaks. I think the seal on the fliteboard is a bit better than lifts.

UPDATE: He sold me the board and the computer for $700 (he didn’t know how to remove the computer/controller so just gave it to me).
Will I even be able to make use of it? I already have a flipsky vesc but…

1 Like

I don’t think you can use the Ebox as is, it will want to connect to Lift’s remote, battery and motor. You can open it up and put in your flipsky stuff in there and you’ll have a container that fits perfectly in the board. Maybe you can reuse the antenna.

Dude that’s an unbelievably good idea, apparently they essentially glued this ebox into the board so getting it out would have been a pain. Gonna be opening her up later and seeing if it all fits. I was also given a broken lift 4 battery that won’t charge, gonna see if maybe I can just throw a different BMS in or something and get it working, maybe will just toss it though, not sure what my confidence level will be there.

So stoked to get this thing on the water! Thanks guys!

1 Like

You may be able to open the ebox and remove the lift logic and receiver board. Then run a different remote to control the lift esc. But you would need to have all the correct connectors then.

1 Like

yeah no clue if anyone makes a logic board that would hook up to that either, would also be pretty complicated working with lift’s closed source speed controller with a off brand logic board to hook up to a non lift motor.

Anyone have any battery tips / reccomendations? Even just for testing? I dont have any experience spotwelding, and am scared of building a battery to the likes of a 12s10p as my first project.

Dropba picture of the esc here. I know that the eboxes I have all use pwm to send a signal to the esc so in theory you can control them. You just can’t ready the data back. But mine might be older.

1 Like

I love these.

I also have that 36v 2kwh pack @windego mentioned (and there are at least two others using it). It works well even being at a lower voltage for efoil, I’ve put a lot of hours on it this summer. It lasts easily 1.5hr for me (though I’ve never done that long continuously). Doesn’t ever get hot, just a bit warm, typical for any battery. The pack itself is really well made and doesn’t need much modification to work in an efoil.