Chatch E-Foil Build #1

Drag is your enemy for range and amps… Your underwater design could be improved by removing (or streamlining) the hard edges along the moving axis. See the areas in red. Think about printing a streamlined sleeve around the mastclamp in front of the motor, this can be a hollow, 2 piece design.
The extra brace support should not be necessary with the aluminium mastclamp and a balanced prop.
The ‘wire-cover’ around the mast adds some thickness but is mostly above water when flying. But I would cover/guide the wires directly out of the motor.

mast

I put the portion we’re concerned with in Flow Simulation to calculate the actual drag coefficient. I have some idle days ahead waiting for the M4 Well Nut to arrive, will keep the printer busy making a shell. It is easy to do, so I will add a streamlined cover for the wire section - but it most likely won’t be conical/dome shaped.

So far with 25 iterations the drag coefficient is converging under 0.50, the cut plot will show more detail. I will run the same simulation after adding the streamlined baffles which cover the wires.

Here is a typical conical shaped build I see on the forums:

I am sure you are familiar with this:

@Gobbla developed a 100% streamline solution in 2018. Then he added a 4th path for forced flow water cooling for the ESC:

Mast skirt to pod

2 Likes

That one looks pretty nice. What was the purpose of the front portion sticking out? The dome shape

The dome is just a cover to access screw

yes hello. I installed 2 pumps.

2 Likes

Nice… but never tried and never seen it this way : two pumps mounts and intake in the flow , just make sure , pumps flows don’t take from it others , water intake with stream will take over pump flow

Cooling battery , why not , lipo ? , just on on side , no idea about efficiency , I guess just need to measure IR with vs without cooling on each cells …
Why battery before vesc ? Battery will heat , normal , we don’t heat on the vesc for sure

1 Like

Hi, VESC is first, battery is second. The battery lies on its side because each of the 6 cells will touch the waterblock. Otherwise I would just be cooling one cell. The battery is manufactured with an aluminum case around the cells, which is touching the aluminum waterblock.

Not sure about inlet/outlet on pump, directions not included and the pump doesn’t have flow indicator. Might need to swap in/out

Edit: I changed in/out, tested the pump using 9v to confirm

I need to add prime bulbs, those have already a 1-way valve :slight_smile:

Working, no prime bulb. VESC telemetry ok. Throttle working. After all the considerations for water cooling I am tempted to try it without switching on the pumps, see how hot things get for reference.

yes hello

60 hour print. Only 30 minutes to design the nozzle :rofl:

2 Likes

I know it’s been a while, but could you tell me what kind of box this is you are using for the electronics?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HMJ7WKD

IP67 as most things are waterproof inside, and it should not be submerged over 1ft.

yes hello

i added Strap and center bolt as I was very suspicion of mast mounting

I set the elevator maximum downward angle so I may shift CG further back. I hope it doesn’t fly like a tailheavy plane - those are not the most fun to fly. But I usually just have a difficult time landing, primarily a tip stall at low speed. so for this application lucky I will just fall into the water.