Been browsing for a short while now (11hrs “recent” read time) and am getting really close to finishing my build!
Unfortunately, I started and ordered everything before finding this forum, so I’ve had to backtrack on a few ideas delaying me a bit.
- Maytech 65161 (ordered the non threaded shaft before I knew what I was doing )
- 40t 12s12p w/ 150a bms build by my friend at https://chibatterysystems.com/
- 300a seal esc (eventually will get a vesc, the 75/300 is just really expensive for a first build)
- custom waterproof remote
- Cloud9 surffoil w/ large wing
- blueplanet 6’ 97L mini sup
- Had to go with an electric skateboard style flat pack because my deck is only a little over 3 inches thick. I could have chosen a different board, but in the end I wanted to keep a really thin sup profile with a stealthy look
- I was originally going to have the battery in a removable waterproof box (like lift, or @Flightjunkie) that sat within another waterproof latch
- Goal: redundancy and easy charging
- But… given my thickness issues (and that I already have made multiple boxes too big) I am axing that idea. Now the battery will sit in a thin waterproof box within the waterproof hatch (redundancy check) but not be removable from the deck (screwed in place) for a little more inconvenient charging. I will still be able to take it out if needed, I’ll just have to go through a handful of screws and a plexiglass lid.
- in order to prevent the weight of the battery from being too far forward, I’ve done split enclosures with the ESC located behind the mast. that box won’t have a hatch, just a screwed down 100% waterproof lid since it really doesn’t need to be opened often.
Original battery box idea shown here, the 1/4" plywood with 2 layers of glass added too much thickness to the top and bottom.
- filled with corrosion X of course
- designed and milled an aluminum mount that fits against a flat edge on the trailing side of the mast, supported by two 3D printed cone halves. Each half is covered in two layers of glass plus will be glassed to the mast. Currently, they are just epoxied to the mast
- internals based on the old faithful $25 GT2B remote I’ve used with esk8’s for 5+ years. This remote is also extremely adjustable which helps when you don’t have a VESC and need to alter your throttle response easily!
- potentiometer sealed in its own section of the remote, a waterproof skate bearing and silicone providing the only blockage from water entering around the shaft… I figure some water will get in there eventually, but I’d rather kill the cheap pot than anything else in the remote. I’ve got a dozen extra laying around and will, of course, fill it with corrosion X
- 18650 in the handgrip
- GT2B circuit board and phone wireless charging pad in the top of the remote
- sealed battery and circuit board with epoxy (after dialing in the remote settings)
I probably missed something, but this is the general plan!