Cutting open commercial batteries! (Lift, Onean, Flite, etc.)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/FEIN-FMM-350QSL-Multi-Master-Top-Promo-Kit-72295270090/313327362

The real Fein tool is what I have. Expensive, but worthy every penny and I use it every day. The diamond blade better for that type of work, but standard blade should do fine.

It’s open. Here are some quick shots. I am checking things with my multimeter now. I did hit a small orange wire when I cut across top and lost patience, haha.

7 Likes

Very nice , thank you for the pics , so we have fuse on + , probably around 10-12A
Try to get the number on the solénoïd switch please

SCORE! All the cells are good. It is an interesting configuration, but all the channels are balanced within .01v of each other. The cells are resting at roughly 3.24v. This is quite a fancy BMS. There isn’t much room to get to it due to my choice in cutting across the top. I am not sure yet if I would cut it the same way again or not next time.

I would say more. It’s a TE Kilovac relay.

Indeed it is

Thanks for the pictures ! You think you can get a model number, brand or whatever useful for the BMS ?

Wait you mean you have another battery pack ? :joy:

I meant figuratively speaking, haha. I am swimming in batteries as it is.

BMS is Staff Systems LLC
Model 1030M

3 Likes

There is a 300amp fuse between battery and relay.

1 Like

Weird, I don’t find anything on this company on the web. I mean I’ve found Staff systems, but this is certainly not the good one :sweat_smile::joy:

Ok I got it !

It’s Stafl systems :

1030M is certainly a custom made model coz it’s not listed on their website. Now we know a reputable company where we can buy our 14S BMS even if it’s priced 200$ it’s proven to work !

So good !

1 Like

That’s a pretty big fuse :flushed:.

If you take a closer look, each cell is connected with a part acting as a fuse wire. Which leads me to think, not only they are protecting each cell individually but also certainly the bms.
That’s a pretty nice battery we have there !

Also, what’s your opinion on the bonding method they used on top and bottom part ? Would you say it’s glued or kind of melted together ?

1 Like

That USED to be a pretty nice battery until someone butchered it! haha…

@foilmore - If you can save the case, it will fit perfectly in your new board.

I found this website. But not the exact model. It may have been custom made for lift

2 Likes

Geez we posted it at the exact same time :joy::rofl:. Thanks !

Hopefully we can help lot of people now with good quality BMS !

1 Like

Ha ha… I think you posted it first. I must have missed it while I was researching

300A for the fuse because they work with heat ( amp) vs time , so over rating will assure life operating
It is all in data sheet
Just like over rating a bit bms , fuses cells …

I used a 200A which go pretty warm with 140A continious

1 Like

LOL. I wish I did that last top cut a little more carefully like the first 3 now. Very glad to hear this sucker will fit in my board. I am going to try to save the case. The compartment will be 85mm deep, right? I think all my cuts were clean enough that I can pretty easily seal it up with some 3M windo-weld urethane after I decide how I want to rewire for future charging/discharging. I am going to start shopping for a new BMS, but I may just solder up new balance leads and figure out a want to pass them through in a water proof way. I don’t think these little ribbon cables are going to work for me.

1 Like

I posted that shot of the edge where I cut through. I am pretty certain it was fused together with heat. It really wanted to melt and fuse back together when the saw blades got too hot.

1 Like

Enclosure is 89mm deep (3.5"). I checked recently and all Lift components will work on the board. Plug & pray :wink:

Yes, it is Stafl for sure. Hard for my old eyes to read in the dark garage. I am reading up on their stuff, looks like it would be minimum of 700 + 280 to go the 12s route with these guys. If I am reading it right, their off the shelf system would actually require two monitor units for 14s. We are talking well over 1k for this BMS.

The more I look at the more I am impressed. It gives me a lot more respect for what Lift put together and their justified price point. Before opening this up, I thought $3,500 was pretty hard to justify for an unserviceable case with 196 cells in it.

Any CAN 2.0B experts in here? I will wait to hear if anyone has any advice on diagnostics with the BMS before I unhook much else.

1 Like