Cutting open commercial batteries! (Lift, Onean, Flite, etc.)

Do you think you can then share a pic of the sealed surface to find out how they did ? Would be interesting to compare this method to other batteries as wel.

I sure will. I am cutting just below and adjacent to the seam, so we will have a good cross section of it soon. Getting close!

Pile of cutting wheels stacking up (big one is the original size):

2 Likes

Agreed on the safety side, I am also wearing a respirator as the smells are nasty.

Screenshot_20201029-142841_Chrome
You should be using this to cut. A grinding bit is just going to melt it’s way through

I don’t have that exact wheel, but the similar ones that I do have for plastic and wood gummed up and just became a spinning plastic wheel. It is a tough call between the search for a better cutting wheel and waiting a day or two for Amazon, or spending the hour of going to the store and hoping the have what I need, or just staying the course with what I have that is mostly working (albeit slowly) and finishing it in as much time. I think the best tool for the job would be the oscillating tool with a plastic/wood bit since it will probably not get fouled up due to the lower speed, but I will not be able to keep the same clean cut line. I may just give it a shot and see. I know everyone is eager to see what’s under the hood.

I had to step out for something else and stopped by the hardware store today. They have every other wheel under the sun (including all the ones I have tried already) except for that one, Jezza! Doh. Probably should just finish with what I have.

Fein tool or small angle grinder. Fein is better as you can control the depth and line. Diamond blade:

https://fein.com/en_us/accessories/diamond-saw-blade-63502166210/

Anyway

edit: fire extinguisher at the ready
 lithium fires are easy to contain. don’t use water to put out the fire.

will a hot wire (like foam cutter) not work?

I don’t see that is a viable option with this material. It would release some incredibly noxious fumes, be messy, and have a higher danger factor with the batteries and wires in such close proximity.

Which one are you to? Similar to this guy?

Mine only has 1 speed and it melts the plastic and junks up the blades just like the dremel, but I am close now. I just need to (VERY carefully) do the cut across the top.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/FEIN-FMM-350QSL-Multi-Master-Top-Promo-Kit-72295270090/313327362

The real Fein tool is what I have. Expensive, but worthy every penny and I use it every day. The diamond blade better for that type of work, but standard blade should do fine.

It’s open. Here are some quick shots. I am checking things with my multimeter now. I did hit a small orange wire when I cut across top and lost patience, haha.

7 Likes

Very nice , thank you for the pics , so we have fuse on + , probably around 10-12A
Try to get the number on the solénoïd switch please

SCORE! All the cells are good. It is an interesting configuration, but all the channels are balanced within .01v of each other. The cells are resting at roughly 3.24v. This is quite a fancy BMS. There isn’t much room to get to it due to my choice in cutting across the top. I am not sure yet if I would cut it the same way again or not next time.

I would say more. It’s a TE Kilovac relay.

Indeed it is

Thanks for the pictures ! You think you can get a model number, brand or whatever useful for the BMS ?

Wait you mean you have another battery pack ? :joy:

I meant figuratively speaking, haha. I am swimming in batteries as it is.

BMS is Staff Systems LLC
Model 1030M

3 Likes

There is a 300amp fuse between battery and relay.

1 Like

Weird, I don’t find anything on this company on the web. I mean I’ve found Staff systems, but this is certainly not the good one :sweat_smile::joy:

Ok I got it !

It’s Stafl systems :

1030M is certainly a custom made model coz it’s not listed on their website. Now we know a reputable company where we can buy our 14S BMS even if it’s priced 200$ it’s proven to work !

So good !

1 Like