Database for mast & plate

I know how it is possible, but why not ask before if someone had successfully done that work :wink:

2 Likes

Is anyone able to confirm these dimensions please for the new Gong mast plate, they say 90mm wide on the website but no mention of the length?.

I’m yet to order all the foil bits for my build but could do with these dimensions to keep progressing in the mean time.
Thanks

The previous model had two screw spacings on the long side: 164-165mm and 124-125mm.
I didn’t check it myself but seems they’ve kept the longest gap that is 164-165mm.

1 Like

Perfect thanks @Ivryl :+1:

Another job ticked off.

Shame they’re not counter sunk though, I’ll just have to do that myself.

I made a mast clamp for an old Liquid Force mast, if anybody needs it. This mast is a lot thicker than most other masts.

1 Like

Looks nice! Is that for the original, orange one? If so, I would be interested in checking out your model!

Yes, I was surprised by how much thicker it is than anything else.
I will clean up and share the design later today. In the mean time, here is the shape of my mast, so you can check if it’s the same as yours:

1 Like

That is a nice looking mast for running wires!

1 Like

I thought that Axis makes a very big mast extrusion. One normal one and one bigger. It might be worth exploring if we have strength issues. In the mean time I will go with Slingshot and Gong. Does anyone have this big Axis Mast?
Also what lengths are people using? I was going to go with the Slingshot 30" mast that I never use for kiting. It is only good for travelling because it fits easily in a 36" duffel.

Have 3 axis 19 setups, have 75 & 82. Prefer these due to easy cable routing, low weight and high bending resistance. I weight 100kg and normally have to unbend them every now and then…
Also have a couple RL 15mm masts 90cm. These are actually heavier than Axis, bit dirt cheap.
Gong and similar design is for max 100kg total carriage weight in my opinion.

2 Likes

Yep, that’s the same one that came with my first kitefoil board the LF Foil Fish.

Thank you. That will save me some time in trying out the Impulse wingset with electric power.

1 Like

So here is the basic design. I will refine it later with all the ideas that are shared on this forum.

I left a little gap between the front and back part: I’m planning to insert a piece of foam for shock absorption.

I’m printing with PETG, 100% infill, placing the part in horizontal position in the hope of improving the part’s strength. Use raft. Support from printing platform only.

Update: this has a lot of good information on how to maximize the strength of your print by playing on (values in parenthesis for PRUSA MK3 printer):

• layer height (0.15mm)
  • extrusion width (140% of nozzle diameter)
  • infill pattern (honeycomb)
  • number of perimeters (6)
  • infill percentage (>50%)

The design files (hopefully) available at:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1k7IU3GLZbRGHeHCW5WEpwTV2ZgxI6p_5

2 Likes

Why PETG and not PLA+? I think a lot of people are having success with PLA despite the notion that it biodegrades.

It is my understanding that PETG does better in salt water. In fact, I printed some board fins in PLA and they got distorted after a couple of days. Of course they were quite thin compared to the mast clamp.

It’s not harder to print with PETG, so it seems a better alternative.

I’ve updated the STL files, I found that the bolt holes were a little tight.I removed the STEP and Fusion 360 files so that I wouldn’t have to maintain the updates, but I’ll put them back if somebody is interested.

Could you share those CAD files? I use catia V5 so i’d prefer step, not stl if possible

Gong Mastplate: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

Mast: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

1 Like

Thanks a lot! added in my thumbie board model

1 Like

Does anybody has a stp (3D) of the FR:

• mast
  • mastplate
  • dummy of motor