DIY 6384 Foil Drive Assist from South Germany

i believe the capacitors are there to smooth any voltage droop and cover for fast current draw. So i dont think it is the issue. But i had to a lot of heat to remove them. So maybe damaged something…

Even flat water and waves with wind does make huge difference. Board volume and foil is although a big issue. For example with my 6384 and 75100 in flat water everything is fine, bigger waves with wind new game! Logging 120A peak with 12s2p Molicel in waves, here you need it more the 15 seconds to catch a Baltic Sea wave! But even in flat water when you use a board about 40l and a Foil with 1600 a peak of 100A or more is needed. Once on foil it goes down to 20-25A average.

2 Likes

@hangloose
Hey Markus,
Can you add please step like this one just without the cabel guide feature.
Motor-Pod-Unisex V3.step
Thanks, have a good day!
BTW I figured out how this clamps well to the mast - it is because of the mast carvature. That was my concern. Otherwise it is perfect.

1 Like

@lishine

Done for you :call_me_hand:

https://www.printables.com/de/model/620724-motorpod-for-6384-slingshot-hoverglide-axis-760-ma/files

3 Likes

Since the Flydragon on my 2nd build broke,
I’m also switching to a Kontronik on the Assist.

I’ve opted for a Kontronik Jive HV120+.
With good passive cooling, the controller can handle a continuous current of up to 180A and a peak of 340A.
Kontronik no longer makes the controller. I bought one second-hand.
New at the time it was €450.

The controller is very small and the heat sink is easy to remove. I glued the controller to my heat sink with heat adhesive.
In the box, the controller would even fit on the front wall with a 12S2P setup.
I don’t have a mm of space😜.
Here are the technical data for the controller.
The functions are the same as my new Kosmik 200A.

I’ll install the Jive tomorrow.

Pictures will follow as usual.

Dimensions without capacitor and heatsink 62x33x21

4 Likes

It’s a beast, I’ve also got a Helijive 120 on my assist, it runs so cooler, it’s waterproof and tiny. Love that thing !!! The only con on mine is the very slow ramping up because it’s only for helicopters. You’re Jive pro is more versatile with it’s specs, I’m jealous.

1 Like

@hangloose thank you for this amazing build guide.
I’m currently working on a pod mount remix of yours, to fit a Gong Allvator v2 Mast.
(happy to share after I test-fitted it)

1 Like

Kontronik JIVE Pro 120+HV installed and ready :star_struck:

12 Likes

Always wonder what justifies 800€ for such an ESC. The main components are the MCU 6 x Gatedriver and MOSFETs.U

Amazing build Markus. . . . question. . . why did you not install a BMS in your 10S3P battery build?

1 Like

Thank you.
Yes, at the beginning I also thought about installing a BMS. But after I saw how much space I had in my box, I realized that there was no more room for the BMS.
Besides, I like things to be simple and straightforward.

I wanted to ask, are you sure that the ESC is to blame for the incident, and not the insufficient rigidity of the box and the ingress of water as a result?

Wrong topic.
I had a defective controller in my second build.
But both boxes are completely waterproof and I didn’t have any water ingress.
I also installed a Kontronik controller in the Assist Box because I no longer trust the Flydragon.

OK.

I asked this because I have a box of the same dimensions and have some doubts about its reliability.

At the moment I am in Sardinia to test all setups.
I have no problems with either system.
I have already ridden the Assistbox for over 10 sessions.

4 Likes

Enjoy!

Carefull with the box clips, already lost 2 controllers to that :joy:

Btw, changed my slingshot to something slightly more modern, huge difference in foil efficiency and speed range. I had few waves session on the q100 and could not really catch waves due to the low speed of the setup.

1 Like

Hi @hangloose, how are doing?
I thought to add a remix to your model of motor pod. My version is for KT foil and a glued parts to print.
But the license is not for derivatives. Maybe you are willing to change it.
Otherwise, can I publish my version separately for free use? Or maybe you have an objection or a suggestion…
Thanks

You are welcome to publish your version.
I have no objection to that.
The license protection is mainly for commercial purposes.

Thanks. But if you change the license to one of first two Noncommercial, it would be possible to publish remix. Maybe the NoDerivatives license is not essential. Just saying.

Then what you really intend is:
Creative Commons - Non Commercial - Share alike