DIY eFoil Build plans 49,97€

Hi there,
sorry but I just want to ask if possible… If I make it by my self, why the total cost is near $2500 ?
I so on alibaba a good efoil near $3000, so why the cost of DIY will be so high please ?

Can you post a list of what I must buy and what I can do it by my self please ?
Maybe is possible to go under $2500

Thanks a lot
Denis

The specs mentioned are in line with the general consensus in the forum for a reliable/proven build with current available hardware (65161). So basically this 49.97 euros save you the effort to go through several threads in the forum and see what has worked/what did not.
If I were to build something, honestly, I’d spend several hours reading anyway. It’s a project that will take lots of money and time, so doing some research before is a good investment IMO.
Having said that, just the electronics+battery are 1k+, add the foil and materials for the board, and that 2k is what you can expect. probably more.

just my 2c. ( I’ve only built kiteboards and wingfoil boards, but i find this topic interesting and i follow this forum, in case i decide to pull the trigger and build one myself)

EDIT: an alibaba efoil @3K will not be a good efoil

1 Like

I think anyone starting a build today from scratch would find it very difficult to build a board for around €2,100. Not with the current price of 18650 cells.

For 196 cells 14s14p pack it will set you back €1,350 from nkon.nl with today’s prices, let alone all the other parts required. Yes you could build a smaller pack but that’s still half your budget gone or use lipos :grimacing:.

Last year, yes it may of been possible but not at present.

Hey Denis,

Thanks for asking. Our parts list totals 2100€ including the price for the custom parts bought at us but excluding all bolts and nuts. If you where to 3D print lasercut and saw/CNC all the parts your self you can save about 400€.

But i must say thats gonna be a tight budget, with little room to play.

1 Like

Hi Kwinty, and thanks for the answer.
I have a 3d printer, but I don’t think I can save too much.
In conclusion… the efoil that I will make, will be near to the $3000 of the Alibaba boards or will be
near to the professional $5-10.000 efoil ?
I mean how much do you think can cost this efoil on the market when will be finish please ?

Sorry for all questions but I don’t want to buy the manuals and then buy a new efoil on market.
I want to understand if the saving cost is little or much major of new efoil on internet shop.

Thanks a lot again
Denis

Without criticism and without the intention of being beaten, I have been reading in the forum for two months, every question that someone asks or when they kindly ask for a CAD of for example a table profile, the answer is read in the forum, and for more What you read what you find are excuses, I have not finished it, I prefer not to leave it, etc … etc … regardless of the fact that there are 100 options to choose from among prototypes, the option of everything gathered and buying the plans and STL all in one set. I think it is the best option, better than getting dizzy or making pieces in 3D that do not correspond later, personally I think the forum is a mess of files. Advice to those who ask if they are going to save something by buying the table. my answer is: YES, you will save dizziness, water entering the drawer, and time

3 Likes

The reason why the forum is a “mess of files” is because this is a DIY forum, not an instructables page. People share ideas and results to discuss, get feedback and improve their next design.

I assume there are little (o no ) fully detailed construction guides because , as a builder, you’d get no feedback that way. I agree that 49,97€ is a fair price for that guide, but IMO it’s incorrect to assume a forum should provide a detailed guide to follow.

2 Likes

Hi,
You are right. I guess this is frustrating for most of us to just answer a question for which we had to read and look for the answer for a long (really long) time. What I can say is that building an efoil is way more complicated than most of the esk8, so yeah it needs lot of care, lot of read from the potential builder as well.

That said, it’s true that it won’t come easy for the newbies if we just keep going like this. I encourage you to ask your questions (whatever they are -as long as efoil related topic-) on the following thread, I’ll try to answer as many as I can and hopefully other experienced users will follow later as well to help the newbies.

Actually I encourage all the newbies to do so as well, don’t be discouraged, you can build it !

@Kwinty : this is not against you or this thread or whatsoever, just thought I would answer to this and hopefully help the future builders as well.

EDIT : Figured the link above does not work as intented. Just search for the thread “Newbie questions”

Hi, are these files still for sale? Had a look at Etsy but the checkout function seems to be disabled?

Hey there Fred,

We are having some issues with Etsy, unfortunately they are very slow at responding so I have no idea what’s going on and how long this will take. We are doing all we can.

If you send me an email at info@efoil-holland.com we can arrange it directly. If you want to wait to order it via Etsy, that’s okay as well.

Greetings Kwint

Hopefully the Etsy issues are resolved. See here the new link to the product.

https://www.etsy.com/nl/eFoilHolland/listing/1119589741/diy-efoil-build-plans-includes-build?utm_source=Copy&utm_medium=ListingManager&utm_campaign=Share&utm_term=so.lmsm&share_time=1636755305559

An update on the manual,

Since the demand for a more complete DIY kit was high, we started providing the essential parts and kits to complete your eFoil. Nowadays you can start building even easier without needing to 3D print, CNC, foam cut or lasercut any of the parts. We also started making component kits so ordering the correct small parts like screws fuses, wires, connectors and more is now in the past.

Self ordering true our parts list with links is now only needed for the main components.

• Motor and prop
  • VESC and BT module
  • Wing and mast
  • Charger
  • Remote
  • Epoxy and fiberglass
  • 12v converter (will be aded shortly)

Updated text as first post.

Back in 2020 me and my brother (he an electrical engineer and me an mechanical engineer) decided to design and build our own eFoil board. As nice compliments and frequent buying requests for our boards kept on coming in we decided to share our files with others.

This manual contains everything to get you through this build an on to your own build eFoil in no time.

What you’ll get:
-Nearly 200 pages of build instructions to build our board from A to Z, including detailed pictures, schematics and drawings.
-STL files
-DXF files
-Ordering list
-List of costs
-Foam cutting plans
-Electric schematic
-Water-cooling schematic
-Building tips -Photos of our build

-Live updating manual and parts
-Join our WhatsApp group with 40+ fellow builders
-Email help service

Specs of the board:
Electric specs:
-6Kw brushless motor (DIRECT DRIVE)
-200A water-cooled VESC
-Efficiency: 55Wh @ 20kph. (70kg rider)
-Standard 1.1kWh battery good for 45min (range ~15km) (2.07kWh almost 2 hrs of foiling (range ~30km) is possible with new type battery)

Board specs:
-Triple-layer waterproofing for electronics
-Max rider weight Tested: 115KG (with L Gong Rise)
-Topspeed with Flipsky prop: 35km/h (45km/h with custom prop and Gong allvator M-T)
-Estimated weight including battery: 28kg
-Length of board: 158,8cm
-Width of board: 58cm
-Volume of the board: 120L

The complete cost to build our e-foil is around €2400,- ($ 2.600), and will take you around 100 hours to complete.
Total worldwide builders: 75+ (Updated 24-3-2022)

If you have any questions about our manual or parts don’t hesitate to reach out to us. info@efoil-holland.com

The video of our eFoil in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb30F_yaGr4&ab_channel=KwintBerg

1 Like

Hey Kwint,

Love what you’re doing, hoping to try to build one soon! You said you now provide essential parts and kits, is there a separate link or site to order that (outside of the etsy product, I mean)? Does all of the ordering work for U.S. buyers? Thanks!

Thanks a lot @Emenel,

The products will soon be in our website, for now we have an order list of the available parts from us in the parts list document. We ship all our parts world wide but unfortunately this is nearly impossible with the 1.1 and 2.07kWh batteries. With non air delivery in Europe its doable but unfortunately for now overseas is to much paperwork and not cost effective. Take in mind that we do send the precut XPS boards but they becomes very expensive due to its size, so we advice to cut these yourself a with the provided instructions in the manual.

greetings Kwint

Thanks for the details, appreciate it! I see what you mean, shipping a lot of those parts wouldn’t be worth it. I’ll consider my options, thanks!

Long time listener, first time caller here. I stalked this website for quite sometime after building several eskate. The board for me was always the short stick in the equation. I went through with Kwint’s process above and put together efoil in about 1 month of starting This included board shaping/fiberglassing. Guide was perfect, parts they sent to US were perfect, and their assistance was excellent. Thanks again guys.

2 Likes

@Kwinty: Is there any chance to receive the link when you paid on Etsy ? Is it a scam ?

Hey @macfly1202,

Once bought you get a file where you can click the link to our drive. We will add you to the viewing list and you can access all the files and documents.

If there are any issues please contact us via Etsy or email.

Greetings kwint

@Kwinty thanks for answer - I succeded to access the file. I highly suggest you to specifiy on Etsy this is not an instant access but review access by an human so there is a delay.

Thanks will add it in the readme :slight_smile:

1 Like