DIY FOIL ASSIST - inside a prone board

I’ve spent the last few months with the odd hour here and there, building a prone board that can take my faux drive inside but also be removed and replaced with a light weight block of shaped xps to take the void and used as a normal prone board.

I’ve been out on it 3 times now and can report it is a success which is a massive relief!

I couldn’t have done it without the help of this forum and the members on here. Big thanks to Tim Setter, Jess, Ludwig and Hangloose in particular.

Some of the specs are:
Board - 5ft 6” by 18.5” 60L
Battery - 12s2p 21700 p45b cells.
ESC - Flycolor x-cross 160a

I’m not good enough yet to get up and ride and hold a GoPro stick but hopefully soon I can get some photos of it in action.

4 Likes

Some more pics:

2 Likes

2 Likes

5 Likes

Very cool and very well implemented.
You really did a good job. I’m always happy to see my designs being used by others.

Keep up the good work.

1 Like

It works! I got a chance to try it in small waves yesterday having only tried in flat water previously. Buzzing! :grinning:

7 Likes

Hi @nekitesurfing, Am tempted to try a full board build like this at some point in the future. Did you buy this board blank from somewhere or is this your own shaping. Looks like CNC cut marks in the shaping? It looks really awesome. Do you have any stringers embedded in the board?

Thanks
Chris

The box that takes the battery was built separately and is made of 10mm high density foam laminated with carbon fibre. This was then inserted into the board along with two 3mm thick carbon rods either side of it on the deck to act as strengthening beams across the void. The carbon lamination of the foil box also extends right past where the box is on the hull to provide strength. It is early days but no signs of weakness yet. I’ve been pumping the board without motor for a few sessions now.

2 Likes

Gofoil just announced

they have patented a prone board design where the FD sits inside. I think they are too late to get that but whatever. Its on facebook ALex Aguera gofoil ceo.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Patent pending, these companies are completely out of touch! There are at least 20 manufacturers that are already doing this.

1 Like