First build - Full Carbon efoil

Hi all,

First, I would like to thank everyone on this forum for their trials and shared experience. That allowed me (person who never even seen one) to get into this fun hobby and build the electric hydrofoil. I’ll be brief so feel free to ask questions.

Total cost - around 8k CAD
Molds - direct MDF and composite ~1.6k
Board, wing, mast, stab - ~1.3k
Electronics: - ~4.5k

It took ~3 month to build working on weekends.

Specs:

Electronics:
ESC - Trampa Mk6
Battery - 2x Tattu 12s16ah
Motor - Reacher D70L165 120kv
Remote - Trampa wand

Wing:
Airfoil - SG6043
Span -100cm
Chord -15cm
Area - 1250cm^2
Aspect ratio - 8
Weight - 1.5kg

Stab:
Airfoil - NACA 0010-35
Span - 50cm
Chord - 10cm
Area - 340cm^2
Aspect ratio - 7.4
Weight - 0.3kg

Mast:
Airfoil - NACA 0010-35
Length - 100cm
Chord - 15cm
Weight - 1kg

Board:
Volume - 95L
Length - 160cm
Width - 75cm
Thickness - 15cm
Weight - 6kg

Prop:
FR Pro 7inch

Fabrication:
















And so as it turned out the propelled surfboards has been banned in Canada since 1999, I had to make a jet board just in case.



I tried it on the water and its trickier then I though. Hope to get some practice and post a few videos.

9 Likes

WOW… Very nice build!

My 2nd board was a black carbon version (not as nice as yours).

Problem with our build was that the black carbon was getting really hot when standing in the sun, and we needed to put it in the shade to keep it cool.

We are now building a new version with a hybrid carbon (carbon Kevlar, carbon aramid, carbon twaron and carbon Innegra fabric).

Color this time will be red :slight_smile:

NICE WORK !!!
Can you share your lay up schedule for the board ?
Thanks

Thanks! The board has 4 main plies of 6 oz [0/90,±45, core, ±45, 0/90] and additional 2 plies of reinforcement over the mast area. The core is 5mm thick 80 kg/m^3 PVC foam.

1 Like

I can’t stand against the old good carbon fiber look.
You can try to color tint the clear. I’ve been wanting to do that for a while but it’s hard to find the secret mixing recipe. There is also a colored fiberglass or even colored carbon fiber (HYPETEX), camo CF is cool as well.

God a perfect carbon job like virus or Bruce création!! what’s you’re job man? To muchTimes to making mold, impressiv work! thanks for sharing to inspire people…please share the electric box or inside thé box it 's seems tight!!

Thank you! I’m extremely pleased to read such nice comments! I made the hatch as small as I could to decrease the potential leakage area

I’m thinking for the next one to go with some prefab solutions for the hatches and get a separate space for essential. It would be nice if you could carry the spare paddle if your propulsion failed as well.


image

If you do so, better go fo a round one, the square ones tend to leak, especially when you step on them. Some of the round ones are 100% waterproof.

1 Like

will you share the 3d files of yours boards? it seems you made efoil and electric surfboard?

Maybe later. I would need to sit and organize the files.
Yes, I used same platform for both products.

what kind a software you use to design your board? Shape3D or Fusion 360?

I used Solidworks for designing.

I also tried the square type of hatch which did leak, I now use the round type which is fine as long as you keep sand away from the threads and o ring sealing surface.

Now I’m really curious. I bought some cheap ones from Amazon to give a try. I plan on putting an extra rubber seal all around just in case. They seem more plug-and-play and cost effective solution rather then making your own ( only latch is 50$…). I found Dzus 1500 sliding latch for 4$. They might work if you put them all around and they also allow to adjust the pressure. The upcoming winter will be full of optimization))) image

I also added an extra seal in one of the additional grooves but it still leaked. There really isn’t enough clamping force consistently around the hatch.

Square hatches absolutely leak. And there is almost nothing you can do to fix that, no amount of additional seal will work. The only sort of success I’ve had is with running a small pump creating a constant negative pressure vacuum that pull the lid in to create a more consistent seal. Though if motor or battery fails this would probably lead to catastrophic water ingress.