Flightjunkie's second board. Invention of the SUP efoil

There are a few people questioning how much our builds cost. Especially in the Waydoo chat. Here is a breakdown of my cost. It is possible to build your own efoil at the cost of the waydoo efoil.

The boards (Front and Right) are DIY. The cost breakdown for my build (board in front):
Board Blank $120
Carbon Fiber/Resin $300 (This might be a little over, because of trail and error)
Foil $500 (You can use a chinese or find a used foil online)
Electronics $1200 (motor, esc, remote, bec, longer antenna, balance plugs, battery plugs, 2 battery chargers, 2 power supplies, + extra for doing things twice)
Lid Latches $75 (Ebay Gem Compression Latches, lid mounting latches)
Battery $1000 (cells, cell holders, fuse wire, plugs, wire, box)
Deck Pad $50
Handles $20
Prop $400 (I purchased a few props $7 ali props, and got a deal on a lift folding prop)
3d printer $300 (if you have a friend with one, you can save a lot of money)
solder iron $50
Corrosion X $25 :laughing:

My grand total is $4040 USD, give or take a couple dollars. As you can see this is rounded up. Parts and supplies may cost more where you live, but overall you will be very cost to this price range. This doesn’t account for all the time spent on this forum, time spent building everything. Almost a year worth of research and trail and error, repairing things a couple times. But everyone on the forum has been awesome in sharing files to help each other out.

I hope this helps to clear things up!!!

Efoil session youtube link

3 Likes

I’m at about 1100USD for my build, even slightly less. It flies :smiley:

1 Like

Thx for your cost break down Sean.

Let’s get out on the water again soon!

One of the few social distancing activities allowed!

:call_me_hand:

1 Like

Hard to believe. The minimum for a foil is 400€ withouth shipping…
Do you have the parts cost details ?

I stumbled on the EUR–>USD currency conversion so it’s 1477 USD. Some rough costs are high, some costs lower so i think this summary is accurate.

Costs:
Gong wing assy 400eur (crazyfoil is in the same price range if you want options)
Epoxy 100eur
Glass fibre 50eur
XPS sheets 30eur
3D-print thread 30eur (i have a friend with printer :smiley:)
Cables 15 eur
Throttle 20eur
Plywood 20eur
IP68 polycarbonate enclosure 80eur
Connectors 10eur
LG 10s25Ah battery module 150eur
80100 motor 150eur
Controller is a borrowed prototype, estimated 200eur for a replacement
total 1255 EUR / 1477 USD

1 Like

I think that with a clearwaterfoils foil you can go even cheaper. That is. If they are any good.

1 Like

As we make efoiling more popular, the technology will improve and parts will become cheaper.
Some of you guy/gays are building an efoil for less than half of what we spent on ours. If we didn’t live on a rock in the middle of the Pacific Ocean and have to pay expensive shipping on everything , I’m sure our cost basis would be down by a lot. But it just shows that it is possible to build an efoil that cost a lot less but no more than Waydoo. :call_me_hand:

Not to go too offtopic on flightjunkies thread but in the clearwater foil pumping video it seems good enough :smiley:

1 Like

Social Distancing at its best…

https://youtu.be/mrBje3aFZL8

3 Likes

I’m alredy learned detect Flightjunkie in youtube videos by his panama :rofl:

1 Like

Thx for posting Sean!

Awesome ride. It was so nice to finally get out on the water with you and Eric. Good job guys on your board builds. Now we have a total of 4 working e-foil boards! Maybe we should start a foiling school! :rofl::desert_island::surfing_man::surfing_man::surfing_man::surfing_man:

2 Likes

@Flightjunkie it looks like you are standing so much more forward compared to the other riders. Is this a setup thing, or more a different riding style?

Hi.

That’s Eric. He made due with a kite surfing wing he already had and the center of lift is too far forward.

I’m the one with the black round hat!

1 Like

My mistake. Nice riding :slight_smile:

How is your structure for the bottom. Thanks in advance.

Hi.

What, specifically are you asking?

Not sure I understand your question.

How do you ensure the resistance of bottom? To get a good tranference of stress between mast and board? i am not sure mine will work. I used plywood 10mm thickness with carbon and aramida. i dont see it solid. Any experience with plywood? thanks in advance

cf2ee58b33ee9101a87f002a9d62c0666992743e_2_666x500

Hi.

It’s just foam.

The black part in that diagram is just the board foam, the blue part is the high density foam. You could use plywood instead of high density foam it will just be heavier. The high density foam where the mast attaches to the board only has to handle compression load. The hole as you see in my board where the wires go through, just like lift uses is very important for structural integrity. The carbon fiber in that hole joins the skin on the bottom of the board to the skin on the top, which is the bottom of the battery box. Because of this the mast mount is very strong and cannot delaminate. The bolts screw into nutserts that are epoxied into the foam and sandwiched between carbon fiber layers. The carbon fiber must be very thick where the mast mounts to the bottom of the board.

I hope this answers your question. Good luck with your build!

1 Like

Thank you! That was clear.

Hey how are you water proofing the motor?