Fliteboard prop alternative to FR?

Simply because the rotation will tend to tight the nut. In any case with the pin and a lock nut on a threaded shaft all is tight.

1 Like

Said to be better easier to regain stability when prop breaches on efoil. Would agree comparing the FR with my early 3D printed props, but could be due to other factors as well.

Why not a larger or conical hub? Will it not be tricky to run fast w/o cavitation going from 70mm FR motor to ca35mm hub in less than 40mm transition?

Otherwise it looks great and I’m up for testing.
Can you provide other data on Diam, Rake and pitch? Have not seen that around…

That make sense. The direction of vertical forces/torgue on LH vs RH is different. Probably not that big deal in a bigger hull but might be noticeable in this application.

The full answer by @Flying_Rodeo:
'Fr 2019 motor system - #550 by Flying_Rodeo

Anyone test the Manta prop yet? I’m building a 14S / 120KV Flipsky / 300 AMP ESC efoil and looking for a reasonably priced and available prop (ships to canada). Not looking for super high speed - more interested in ease to getting up on a larger foil (>1500 cm 2) and efficiency cruising around on flat water Any recommendations?

@mlab, I had one session on Sunday with the FR 6" prop and the Manta prop, with the new Flipsky VX3 remote.
In short my setup is Flipsky 100KV motor, 13s battery, Flipsky 60V/200A VESC, GONG Veloce L front wing, GONG Veloce 43cm stab and a total weight around 115kg.
Unfortunately, since I don’t have any logging capabilities yet, this is not a scientific review, it’s just my feeling and me reading the remote.
I just made a short test at my usual spot with no wind and no current and had the trigger at the same position. Both propellers gave me the same speed and almost the current consumption. So, with the throttle at 21%, the speed was 23 km/h and current consumption 21A for the FR prop and 22A for the Manta prop. Again, this is just me glimpsing at the remote from time to time. I can also back @Valhalla, that the Manta prop has a bit more ‘grip’, especially when starting.

Finally, one word about the VX3 remote. Disappointment! I’ll write a small review in the VX3 thread.

4 Likes

Thanks for info - very helpful. Looking forward to your review of the VX3. Mine is already ordered so not looking forward the bad news but still very curious

Tested the fliteboard prop 2 weeks ago with my flipsky 65161. The biggest hole in the prop was just ~11mm so I drilled it with a 12.5mm drill bit to fit the 12mm shaft of the 65161. The 8mm hole for the thread was untouched. However the 12.5mm hole was not drilled completely straight and I am afraid that this may “unbalance” the propeller. When testing it above water at full speed I did not notice any noise or vibrations, but when foiling it made more noise than I expected.
Should I be worried? How did you guys widen/drill the hole so that it fit on the flipsky 65161?

The flite prop is a good match for the 100kv motor. I get nearly the same speed as the FR prop on my 120kv setup

With FR 6" I had around max 29km/h on same setup

1 Like

Yes i think you are right. The Flite acts as 7”.
I still och prefer FR as i gain about 5wh/km and it has lower sound level.

You need to improve your logs, both reception to phone and not falling so much, otherwise avg consumption will be off :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I drilled my 1st one with 12,0mm drillbit. Not completely straight.
Best is to heat a 12mm metal cone and push it down .

1 Like

I had issues with overcurrent failure

You should use a turning machine and not a drill. You can keep the prop balance much better with this.

1 Like

Did a reference run with the FR2021 prop today with 14s 100kv 130kg load and Rene’s 2020 foil.

A usually have this setup at 68-69wh/km, so i am a bit dissapointed.

Anybody who has seen improvements with the FR2021 prop?

3 Likes

Did you try max duty? I usually don’t care about consumption :smile:

Ehm yes i do occasionally, but my favourite 1100cm2 wing only does 41kmh before wing cavitation and drastic loss of lift. Im usually close to 100% duty on 14s and about 90A when that happens. Somewhat lower DC when doing 16s

Check log below.

I focus on efficiency as i want to have 25km sessions and hate to carry heavy batteries.

1 Like

How do you reach 100% duty cycle? Don’t you use a vesc?

Yes, set max duty to 99,9%. Am I missing something?

You also need to set current limit to allow for it of course…