Fliteboard prop alternative to FR?

Could test FB prop today… It seems a bit to high pitch for direct drive, got high amps during start… However once foiling it works quite ok. and very silent… So if you are heavy with strong ESC (Trampa75/300) it works and once your foiling the Amperes drop… Had about 50A when doing 30km/h …
so in my opinion it works, one can use it but FR is better for direct drive…

2 Likes

Some more details would be nice. Which motor (kv), how many cell, how much amp for start, your weight and foil. And top speed…

Your answer is highly appreciated :slight_smile:
Cheers

1 Like

Here it is

4 Likes

Looks like pitch is not a big difference…Flite has just a bit higher pitch but I would assume the bigger effect is there “tip loading” on the blades… so has much more surface towards the tips… than FR? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I wonder why FR does not taper their hub more like the Flite prop.

@yargaroo I would love to see more information about your setup and thorough testing/data between the two props! Do you have a logging device for your VESC? You may be the only one on here to have both props in hand and the ability to test them side by side right now.

Yes it is!
Finally got chance to test the Flite prop vs. the FR 6" prop.
Ran both props on 14s 65151 100kv and using the Flite Flyer wing for the first time.
The Flite prop is fantastic for a plastic prop and almost matches the FR in efficiency.
The “motor cone” used was a bit big at 54mm to match the FR, so there is some more gain to get here.
The pitch is high, perhaps 7-7,5" something. Easiest is to check RPM vs speed on Metr data for comparison.
Flite-prop

FR 6" prop

And of course the video from this nice saturday testing.

6 Likes

Thanks for the comparison. Tomorrow I will test my Flite Propeller as well on an 100kv unit. From where did you get the inflatable?

It’s and Whimsifoil L with 200lit. Got it from Whimsifoil at 450€.
Upload your comparisons as well. Will try to fix broken Metr links.

1 Like

Flite-prop
www.metr.at/r/gB4m0

FR6"-prop
www.metr.at/r/IKAhM

See if it works now

3 Likes

From what material did you build this adapter to match the flite wing to your RL Fuselage?

Its just a 10mm alu plate that is drilled real ugly.
Just for testing wing, will build a flite fuselage replica later

Good work! How is the RPM in the graph corresponding to actual rpm of the propeller ?

its a 6 pole 65151 so 1/3 of electrical rpm

Thanks! Trying to compare the two runs is not easy, the one with FR prop had less variations in the speeds. Otherwise it looks like they perform at constant speed very close what goes for efficiency/ consumption. Obviously the FP has higher pitch/ less rpm than FR.

Hi,
Could you explain ? I don’t understand 1/3 of electrical rpm.

Vesc/Metr report electrical RPM. Depending type of motor you have different amount of pole-pairs.

Electrical RPM = Shaft RPM * Number pole-pairs

Thanks for checking, I draw the same conclusion. I find that very impressive for a 21€ plastic prop, that is easily drilled out to 12mm for direct fit on the 65151.
They felt quite different though as the FR has bigger blade area and better “bite” during start.

The FT has less resistance in water and is a bit better for turning etc.

OK, thanks. Interesting findings. As for boats, yes, you can achieve about similar speed but very different handling characteristics with various and very different designs. Would be interesting to know if the Flite of FR prop works better with a duct? FR is very muck looking as a traditional prop so maybe Flite has had more focus on the duct application? For this size propellers believeplastic propellers can be good enough for this application, it has been used with good success on smaller outboards, and also Propulse variable pitch propellers are made of plastic. Thanks for the link to the shop, they have brilliant service and very good prices, ordered a duct and a prop. :+1:

At the speeds we do a duct will always be a disadvantage for performance…

Fully agree, so it seams. What i meant was that maybe Flite prop works less worse than FR if optimized for duct :slight_smile: Its interesting that for bigger ships in some tests the Rice Speed Nozzle should work well even up to 20 knots without speed disadvantage, but obviously this will not scale down into to this type of application. On the bigger ships when comparing in test conditions, the ducted prop will have less diameter and higher pitch compared to the free spinning with same engine, so probably just adding a duct will not give optimal result, but don’t think it would help that much in this application anyway.