Foil Drive Assist, DIY

Not so much turbulence as a weight distribution problem. You should be able to counteract it quite easily.

They do suffer from a breaking effect when they hit the water, but that’s why I prefer adding a little extra length to the mast.

Modifying all your boards reduces the resale value and also means I would need to mod multiple boards. I like this solution because I can both efoil and foil assist with it. I can also use it on boards from 24L up to my actual efoil volume boards.

thanks all. I’m not ready to move forward on the battery under the board yet. It’s going to take me too much time. I’m refocusing on my initial objective which is to cool the controller and have a very limited footprint under the board.

This will be cheap (30 euros) and I’ll add myself an 3mm aluminium plate with 3M 5200.

I’m going to use the USBOX rails to attach it.

BUT, this may create a challenge. Today I’m using a 16A (3x2.5mm2 copper wires inside) cable that goes to the motor… if I go this new route… the same cable… will NOW only use two of the three 2.5mm wires… to carry the negative and positive current of the battery pack to the ESC.

what ya think?

1 Like

I’m not sure sbout that, it truly is like a bucking horse, not just a shifting of weight (which is what i get at most touchdowns). Buut, i’m not in any way a skilled rider compared to anyone that surfs, i’m too slow in the reflexes. I think that won’t get much better before another 1000hrs on the board and only if i ride more waves :grinning:

Need increzased coolling, and maybe smaller prop depending on your kV and motor. Cut mine to 140mm Not crap but definitely not 100A phase unless ideal conditions.
I added thermal pad to box, increzased temperature de rating to 95°c max, start at 85°

It is inacceptable from maytech to sell a kit with this setup that will not work unless heavily modified/tuned.

2 Likes

Yes. @ludwig_bre is doing 2 packs of 6 cells, we could do 3x2 packs = 3 x 250Wh = 750Wh

1 Like

12S.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CzCIPieq8LZ/

5 Likes

Awesome @okp !
Is this 12s2p?
Which Takoon Board and size is that? I am thinking about to get the Slate SW.

At the moment I have a 10 liter pump foil board. Hope 10s or 12s will be sufficient for that.

1 Like

it’s a takoon slate v1 4’6 - 35L. I can definitely lower the volume, likely 30L on 4’2 or 4’3 if I go Benett’s style on my next custom board.

2 Likes

love it! do you prefer 12s2p vs 8s3p? I’m about to start my battery build and trying to decide between those. Thanks!

1 Like

And vs 10s2p or 10s3p or 12s3p ?

1 Like

More voltage, less amps. 12S on P42 is nice because you have more speed and things run cooler BUT you already have lots of torque/speed on 8S3P and you get 45A constant more on 3P vs 2P. You will not be disappointed on 8S3P.

My advice is to avoid VESC based ESC. Get a traditional ESC. Way more torque.

5 Likes

thank you so much @okp ! Yep, planning on a 80A flydragon ESC.

1 Like

@okp so you are switch back to 8s3p?

Have you also tried your foil assist on a smaller pump board?

go for HV3 - no doubt

1 Like

yes, back to back. still awesome but less top speed

Foildrive is dropping their underboard version on 3 November… gonna be interesting to see how many forum ideas appear on it :rofl:

4 Likes

likely, which is what I would do :

• box inline under the deck (between baseplate and board). This is necessary for ESC cooling and also neat setup. When I was trying it, I noticed that we have 9 cm width between the USBOX rails which is more than enough to have the pack inline and benefit from the space left under the box while having a better center of gravity.
  • removable packs without removing the mast; that would be a no go if they don’t do it… imagine changing the mast to change the battery pack.
  • plug / unplug the motor directly to this box for the ease of setup

The overall logic would be a natural progression to the existing system which his a box, a remote and a motor attached to a mast. nothing rocket science but a very nice addition to what we love to do : foiling !

If foil drive don’t do removable packs they are insane.

FR is coming with a completely new design with removable packs and a brand new remote. The foil assist market is about to seriously heat up!

Super interested to see what FR come out with.

By the looks it’s a mast system, maybe with a battery built in up the top.

3 Likes