Foil Drive Assist, DIY

7 Likes

Keeping the edges of the case straight would give you more space inside.

1 Like

Love it @okp !! Could you please share the components in your box? ESC, Transmitter and BEC + what are the other 2 items? thank you!

1 Like

Yes, I really wanted to have something “good looking” as I’ve way more space than I need. But I’m with you Jeremy.

@patfoil I’m going to run the very first dronefoil ! jokes aside, as the controller is a BLHELI32 based controller and that I’m (was) a bit into drone, I have added a FC (Flight Controller) to benefit from all the additional telemetry such as gyroscope, accelerometer, barometer, temperature etc etc… with the blackbox. This will allow me also to correlate the data after the ride remotely. It’s just for fun.

The controller does not provide 5V to the receiver so I’m using a 12S BEC and also another 12S BEC a bit more powerful to provide 12V (3S) to the FC.

Foil Technology I’m coming with my stupid ideas! in the meanwhile and now that it’s getting cold, I can’t wait to be back in Greece for my next holidays! https://www.instagram.com/p/CwuDPOhKGVr/

2 Likes

Thank you!! all makes sense now, I was hoping for an Arduino in there too haha

Some updates

Battery size is 11s3p molicell 21700
I need to make some modifications now and also simplify some design elements which I think make sense.

9 Likes

well done mate. you can put the controller on the front and then charge the battery via the square section on the rear. smart & effective. you may need to add few cms on the rear to allow cable passage.

so now you copy foil drive gen2?

No, I had designs dating back pre FD2. But it makes sense to build a prototype similar to theirs as well to see what design issues they may have ironed out along their path. One of the most obvious is that they have a database of over 100 masts and base plates. Looking at their slots automatically means you don’t have to get all these drawings and can progress at a much faster rate with good compatibility.

Every highly intelligent company would buy a competitors product and investigate the how’s and why’s on design decisions and normally reverse engineer and test. Then they redesign according to their product goals maybe incorporating some of the already solved issues.

Ultimately there are various areas I feel FD2 falls short in already which can be improved. So the 3D printed model has already helped with that…

3 Likes

So one of the weird things here is that boards with a short, sloped tail will leave a longer rear exposed. Hence the need to keep a rear length in a sweet spot… I actually already feel its longer than needed.
Another element is I can now see why they went with aluminium as it allows the ESC to be heatsinked anywhere in the enclosure. giving a vast amount of options…

3 Likes

Does anyone know of a 3 cable plug similar to the amass mr60 that can handle more amps (say 90 or even 120?). If so, please post a link. Even better if it was waterproof.

I’m keen to build a new board to integrate the foil assist and am thinking about the neatest way of connecting the motor cables to the board in the hull under the water. I have found loads of single cable waterproof connectors but looking for something less bulky that can handle the power.

Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

I think you could design a custom MR90 and print it PA12

1 Like

Well this is cheeky!!! Foild Drive has tried to patent the under the board unit…

So in a video claiming 2 years testing, their priority date is only 25/02/2022 :rofl:

2 Likes

I believe this has the possibility to make Chris de France (the PWR founder and a really nice rider/guy) laugh very hard!!

Well Lacroix also claims to have patented…

I’m not sure how easy it would be defend any of the patents, or of they’ll just try a scare tactic…
The drawings on the patent are very interesting… I have a bunch of similar designs but need to check dates…

it’s a fair move to patent their product, they have likely invested a lot of time and they are genuine people, riders. they also likely spent a lot of time on this, sacrifices on the family, their kids. we are talking about a bunch of good folks here. sometimes, people do patent to protect their innovation which is a good practice. they care about their community and I believe they truly does.

a good counter example of this on which I don’t have enough middle fingers would be Future Motion, who took someone idea/concept/prototype and made a product called Onewheel. They never gave credits and they act like rubbish.

Last, when you pull out your patent, it involves lawyers etc…

I may be wrong, but such patent is comparable to someone who would could have claim the patent of inventing an electric skateboard. I’m not a lawyer and I respect hard work. Time will tell.

1 Like

It’s not about the hard work, patents needs to have an invention as base, if the invention is already disclosed publicly then the patent can’t / shouldn’t be approved.
This is questionable, what novelty has foildrive invented?

4 Likes

And as well you need stiffness and strength of alloy to take all that forces. With carbonfibre it would be more complicated and more expensive… Jezza you need to drill those cases for us :wink:

Well actually pwrfoil and voltefoil are selling this solution (the under the board fixed battery) since long…so if foildrive gets a patent there it would be just as ridicolous as liftfoil got a general efoil patent :face_vomiting:

2 Likes

We can easily imagine that a four-month test and error period was necessary before applying to be sure it was worth it. That’s a total of two years (oct 2021 - oct 2023)…