Foil Drive Assist, DIY

Can’t cut between esc and motor, between esc and battery might pose a risk for the esc (even though i do that since two years on one board.)

1 Like

Using the maytech waterproof remote

1 Like

s9tim
Thank you working thru the Alum Heat sink

Hello everybody. I am learning wingfoil but I leave in a low wind zone, so I am thinking to implement a e-assisted solution for taking off. This is also because my pumping skills are mediocre. I studied the ready made solutions but what concerns me is the remote. How could you operate a efoil style remote with two hands on the wing? I would prefer an ebike style very simple remote with a plus/minus button to be operated with just the thumb, collocated on wing handle. Is there any available Bluetooth solution like this? Any considerations on this Matter by the winging folks?

I have tried with the maytech remote, doable bute quite uncomfortable . a button solution (one would be enough) to strap on the handle would be interesting for me too

You have a lot of videos showing how foil drive can help with light wind winging or using a smaller front wing

Why not use a FD Maytech remote paddle mount ?

![Screenshot_2021-06-22-Electric-Paddle-Assist-Foil-Surfing-Foil-Drive-Australia1|690x389,

A customised home made Bremote ?

1 Like

I am using wings without boom, any other ideas?

Long time reader/researcher/lurker of all this awesome work you all are sharing in these forums!!! I started building a foil assist and got side tracked with a tow boogie that is working and just tweaking around with making it better, so I am back on my foil assist build.

I have the Maytech 100a VESC and the same DSE box the big company uses. The VESC is a tight fit and I am wondering if anyone else is using this setup and willing to share info/pics how they wired the motor wires through the gland and connected to VESC before I start experimenting with wire length? It looks like it will just have to be super precise on getting the wires cut to the right length.

I also have a fly color 80a on the way. I have a 8s3p P42a battery pack.

I use the mount in the picture printed out of tpu. I put a small leash on the remote incase it falls out and use zip ties on the handle of the inflatable wing.

3 blades folding prop is the upgraded version of the assist plus!

After using my flycolor 80amp esc hv3 for 4 months ( using 4-5x/week), I must admit I burned it out. I got caught in a storm and was 2km away from home downwind . Very strong headwind. Had to go full throttle against the wind for about 20 minutes ( perhaps longer) just to get back home. I got to the dock and after landing the esc no longer worked. It did smell burned out, but I had no regrets – had to do what I had to do. Cost me 35USD but worth it.
I suppose I could have slowed down a bit— but I was worried about getting into more trouble with the storm so gunned it.
Bought 2 more of the same

Despite the external heatsink ( which probably was not getting cooled adequately for 20 minutes) it was toast.
I have burned out other ESC’s with less punishment for sure

4 Likes

gzmann
would any of the other popular esc like Maytech or Flipsky have survived the same treatment or simply shut down from overheating.??

My Flycolor 80amp esc arrived a few hours ago, so can start fitting the extended heatsink
keep you posted
Thank you for the PM

Hello everyone. I’m very interested in building a foil assist. It has been a struggle to get on foil in the light winds we have here in San Diego for a heavy rider. I already have all of the tools and skills to build one (sans battery spot welder), but am struggling to source the components as I’m unfamiliar with Ali-Express, where to get the ceramic bearings, and how to spec and build the battery. Is there an excel spreadsheet or list out in the wild that has the components, vendors, parts etc… to make this a little easier? It seems most of the info is scattered throughout the forum with some recommending some components over others. I have access to a Bambu Labs X1 Carbon 3D printer at work as well as my own Creality Cr10 if anyone wants to trade some 3d printed parts for some info. Thanks!

1 Like

I am not sure
I have had other esc’s that shut down after 5 minutes of foiling from overheating . The seaking would last 20 min then shutdown ( the best of the rest - but $$$$$) . @ vesc’s would turn off but after a few episodes one of the 2 burned out.

Still happy with flycolor 80a. Bought 2 more

The absolute best use for my assist device is that I use it to get out of the water now for wing foiling- rather than pumping, espec in light winds !!! I live on a lake so I go out almost daily - lowest winds I go out on are about 6-8mph but have 2100cm2 front foil and 8m wing. I love smooth and slow to be honest! fast and crazy is ok sometimes but not relaxing. I am an old guy so that might be the reason.
I do not know what I would do without it!!!

No there is no list of what to buy … or print.
A lot depends on what kind of mast you have… what motor you are using … esc . etc etc.
You really need to go thru the forum writing down what you need and what you want . I listed what I thought was the simpliest to start with as I did a lot of experimentation/trialling to figure out what I need

Which motor are you using? I can tell you which to order on ali express. ( can go full ceramic or hybrid cheaper )
to build a battery, you need to go on youtube- easiest way.
If you are a bigger guy, build a 10s 3p battery.
get a welder off amazon, or from aliexpress.
buy molicel 21700 batteries 5$ each online

for 6384 motor 2 of these 6800

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003711841982.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.135.2e0f1802advSWs

and 1 of these 6900

Hybrid ABEC-7, 6900 10x22x6mm

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004492774534.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.253.2e0f18022x65jQ

4 Likes

Hi Gzmann
Slow progress - Connected the Fly80A to Maytech Receiver via the 3wire connector with a 8S3P battery

The Maytech Remote was unable to pair to the Receiver
It appeared the problem was the lack of power to the Receiver

Purchased a BEC today - my issue is how to configure the wiring of the BEC output to Receiver
Any help appreciated
Figure of layout attached
Thank you![

• Bec connected to FLY.jpg 2|666x500](upload://u3YoVy5FMHlpSJOxn1DL7e6yv8n.jpeg)

Attach your cable from the BEC and your cable from the esc to each end of the double connectors of the y cable. Then attach the single end of the y cable to the transmitter as shown in my picture.

You can get away with a much smaller BEC should you need it for your compartment. I use this one with no problems: Ty https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/339470/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw9MCnBhCYARIsAB1WQVXQkQQ94CEQRiIhh_Ro7SkEcLd8hbCkfe9zRUrTyMjmyqfGb08vG_MaAhHUEALw_wcB

Thanks for the info. I’m going to be setting up for my Axis gear with 19mm mast and PNG 1310 foil. I plan on using the 6384 motor with the biggest battery pack that makes sense for my weight. It looks like your suggestion of a 10s3p pack is more than other lighter riders use so that makes sense. I would rather be overpowered than under powered.

1 Like