Foil Drive Assist, DIY

gzmann
would any of the other popular esc like Maytech or Flipsky have survived the same treatment or simply shut down from overheating.??

My Flycolor 80amp esc arrived a few hours ago, so can start fitting the extended heatsink
keep you posted
Thank you for the PM

Hello everyone. I’m very interested in building a foil assist. It has been a struggle to get on foil in the light winds we have here in San Diego for a heavy rider. I already have all of the tools and skills to build one (sans battery spot welder), but am struggling to source the components as I’m unfamiliar with Ali-Express, where to get the ceramic bearings, and how to spec and build the battery. Is there an excel spreadsheet or list out in the wild that has the components, vendors, parts etc… to make this a little easier? It seems most of the info is scattered throughout the forum with some recommending some components over others. I have access to a Bambu Labs X1 Carbon 3D printer at work as well as my own Creality Cr10 if anyone wants to trade some 3d printed parts for some info. Thanks!

1 Like

I am not sure
I have had other esc’s that shut down after 5 minutes of foiling from overheating . The seaking would last 20 min then shutdown ( the best of the rest - but $$$$$) . @ vesc’s would turn off but after a few episodes one of the 2 burned out.

Still happy with flycolor 80a. Bought 2 more

The absolute best use for my assist device is that I use it to get out of the water now for wing foiling- rather than pumping, espec in light winds !!! I live on a lake so I go out almost daily - lowest winds I go out on are about 6-8mph but have 2100cm2 front foil and 8m wing. I love smooth and slow to be honest! fast and crazy is ok sometimes but not relaxing. I am an old guy so that might be the reason.
I do not know what I would do without it!!!

No there is no list of what to buy … or print.
A lot depends on what kind of mast you have… what motor you are using … esc . etc etc.
You really need to go thru the forum writing down what you need and what you want . I listed what I thought was the simpliest to start with as I did a lot of experimentation/trialling to figure out what I need

Which motor are you using? I can tell you which to order on ali express. ( can go full ceramic or hybrid cheaper )
to build a battery, you need to go on youtube- easiest way.
If you are a bigger guy, build a 10s 3p battery.
get a welder off amazon, or from aliexpress.
buy molicel 21700 batteries 5$ each online

for 6384 motor 2 of these 6800

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003711841982.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.135.2e0f1802advSWs

and 1 of these 6900

Hybrid ABEC-7, 6900 10x22x6mm

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004492774534.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.253.2e0f18022x65jQ

4 Likes

Hi Gzmann
Slow progress - Connected the Fly80A to Maytech Receiver via the 3wire connector with a 8S3P battery

The Maytech Remote was unable to pair to the Receiver
It appeared the problem was the lack of power to the Receiver

Purchased a BEC today - my issue is how to configure the wiring of the BEC output to Receiver
Any help appreciated
Figure of layout attached
Thank you![

• Bec connected to FLY.jpg 2|666x500](upload://u3YoVy5FMHlpSJOxn1DL7e6yv8n.jpeg)

Attach your cable from the BEC and your cable from the esc to each end of the double connectors of the y cable. Then attach the single end of the y cable to the transmitter as shown in my picture.

You can get away with a much smaller BEC should you need it for your compartment. I use this one with no problems: Ty https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/339470/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw9MCnBhCYARIsAB1WQVXQkQQ94CEQRiIhh_Ro7SkEcLd8hbCkfe9zRUrTyMjmyqfGb08vG_MaAhHUEALw_wcB

Thanks for the info. I’m going to be setting up for my Axis gear with 19mm mast and PNG 1310 foil. I plan on using the 6384 motor with the biggest battery pack that makes sense for my weight. It looks like your suggestion of a 10s3p pack is more than other lighter riders use so that makes sense. I would rather be overpowered than under powered.

1 Like

Flycolor 80A trial on flat water , I pushed a bit the limits of this esc, efoil for 10 minutes, 90Kg rider on a 1200, heatsink outside, 8s3p on a 6384 170KV motor. It’s still working.

Always the same wire burns. Any thoughts to improve the system for less heat ? replacing my actual 2.5mm2 to 4mm2 3 core cable maybe ?

So I finally got up on my foil assist. Swapping out the motor was the missing link! I can fully efoil the assist although the battery felt like it could have cooked an egg after about 5 minutes.

I’ve got full logs so can post them once I pull them off the ESC.

Here’s the full specs of my system:
Rider weight 95kg
Slingshot wf1 24.5L board
10S4P Samsung 30Q battery
Freely arc200 ESC
Apex 6384 170kv motor (pretty sure the 140kv would be fine too)
Gong veloce XL wing.

5 Likes

Nekitesurfing
Thank you for your response and assistance
I hooked up the y-cable from the BEC and Fly80 to the Receiver, which powered up the Receiver and successfully paired the Maytech Remote and Receiver
However, the motor does not rotate , only beeping continuously

Is there a need to somehow reset or calibrate the Remote
Attached 2 pics of
(a) overall set up and
(b) close up of paired Remote and Receiver

I checked the operation of the Maytech Receiver and Remote with a Maytech Vesc independently - all operate correct.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

230903 Set up
2309032 PAIRED  Remote-Receiver

Hi,
Sounds like you are close. Does the transmitter red light go solid and stop flashing? If so, the remote and the transmitter are paired. If not, you will need to pair them first.

If they are paired already, you might need to calibrate the remote throttle with the esc. Have you done that? From memory, have the throttle in the 100% position with no power to the esc. Then, whilst keeping throttle on full, connect the power to the esc. Remove the throttle before 5 seconds to calibrate it. I think that is it but I’m away from my set up at the moment so this is just from memory.

Let us know how you get on.

Hi Nekitesurfing
Tahnk you for your encouraging feedback

Yes transmitter RED light is solid after pairing
Tried Calibrating with throttle at 100% and Fly unplugged - reconnected the power and then released the throttle within 5 secs - tried a few variations - motor only beeping.

Have checked threads related to Maytech Remote nothing obvious

I’m not sure now. It would suggest an ESC problem. Perhaps a poor connection. I have had this occur where one wire was poorly soldered.

Etiennebzh

When you were efoiling for 10 mins was the board up on foil
Were you able to get the motor out of the water?
Were you able to foil with the motor turned off at any time?

nekitesurfing
Ok will double check
Certainly may be one wire - the output phase wires from the Flyer80 are very short
Thank you

Yes, up to the foil, it was a trial to push the limits of the foil assist. Motor out of the water also and turned off with pumping phases.

I think I’ll buy a 3 core 4mm cable to cool down the ESC.

from the picture, it looks like you are not using the esc / throttle signal wire.

there are 2 wire cables coming out of the esc. The cable with 2 wires is the signal/controller line. Black/white is the correct cable. The black/white/red cable is for programming and wont work for the receiver. I made the misstake of using wrong line and could not get it to work as well.

1 Like