Foil Drive Assist, DIY

Hi All,

Slowly getting there with my build. All parts printed and I’m just about to waterproof the motor.

A question though. Do you put an inline fuse between battery and esc? I am using the Flycolor 120a.

Also, do people put in a power switch? I cannot see one on the genuine foil assist plus.

Thanks,

James

I do not use a fuse or an on/off switch. To me it is one more item to fail. However you will prob find a good mix of people that use a high amperage fuse.

1 Like

FauxDrive v2 ready for testing.
Waiting on a battery monitor screen to finish it off.
New fold prop from EML going great!

10 Likes

hey mate @Manufoil

This is my actual configuration in FOC. I’m wondering why the BLDC detection (even with a good FOC detection) is failing. I know for almost sure that BLDC will be more powerful for this usage but I may be wrong.

Can you tell me if you would change something?

Thanks!

I can’t get the BLDC working. Detection fails and I was lucky to get it detected one moment but still bad. Can someone help me to get this BLDC working. Seems there not so much settings compared to FOC which works but lack power.

I have put the recommended flux linkage above settings but impossible to get BLDC working fine and detection fails

Hey. I see you have the same esc and remote as me! I’ve had trouble getting it to work properly. My motor won’t engage until 54% throttle and I feel like at 100% on my remote my motor is still only half the max rpm.

Are you able to calibrate the remote or enter programming mode? My motor just continuously beeps when I try.

Thanks!

you should upload 5.3 and make sure under FOC / Filters : enable phase filter = false
if you leave ‘true’ it will damage your vesc

under PPM = current no reverse (do not use brake)

1 Like

I think the “kit” thus far is the Foil Drive. :slight_smile: But I am surprised one of the China manufacturers hasn’t put the parts together into a kit yet. Everything is plug n play except the mast clamp, that’s finicky as it varies by brand…which would open up a lot of hassle for mass production.

Some pics of my latest mount method.
Two Rubber Grunt straps from Bunnings.
Give a very snug fit and quick and easy to put board back into non electic mode. Straps fit both box sizes (Explorer 1908 and hibox 1027)

3 Likes

I am not sure if it has been mentioned before but, just based on the size and shape, this seems to be the ESC that they are using on the assist plus.

MTSPF7.5K 100A V4 based Speed Controller SuperESC
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32900681161.html

1 Like

I know this won’t work for Efoil.But why wouldn’t this work for a big board and big front wing Foil Drive setup?

I will be using the flipsky 120A …it-s bigger but it should work very well

2 Likes

I talked to someone using a Milwaukee M18 - 12ah battery, seems to work. I don’t know details though.
I believe the FD battery is 22V, so a little less power?

Our Faux Drive builds have used two of these in parallel, 22v, 9ah. Inexpensive and works, though I understand greater risk of fire than LI-ion:
https://www.amazon.ca/Youme-Battery-Quadcopter-Airplane-Helicopter/dp/B07Z97S3YY

Always check hobbyking website. they have warehouse arround the globe for local deliveries… before covid they used to be the best for Lipo , safe & very reliable own brand. very famous for hobbiest shop

First test out on the flat water. 150a Flycolor ESC, 6384 motor and a 6S 6000mah lipo battery. Small 2 blade prop.

10 Likes

Hi scott

do you screw it directly into the paddle or you have an other part holding the tube of the paddle ?

I found some sheet metal clamps locally. I don’t like it at all. I’ll probably draw up a one piece clamp soon and if I do I’ll post it as well.

Anyone used the 65111? I scrolled through the thread and only see outrunner.
I have one on the shelve, pretty heavy, wire position on the shaft side…

After a few months sourcing parts and lots of help from all of you here, I am ready for my first outing. I’ll report back.

Big shout out to s9tim who has helped me tons :+1:

5 Likes

What enclosure is that to fit a 6s4p? Impressive.
Would be interested to see your parts list.

Thanks