Foil Drive Assist, DIY

Hello,

I’m new here and after a lot of browsing, I have been unable to find the info I’m looking for. Does anyone know what specific motor the Foil Drive system uses? I’m also hoping to find out the diameter of the prop they’re using. I had a quick look at a Foil Drive but wasn’t able to figure much out. I found a nice cad model of a folding prop and want to attempt to make one.

Thanks!

1 Like

Dont know the kv, but it is a 6374. A 6384 wouldnt hurt. Most people here use 120kv. I used 170kv and also works fine. As for the prop, it will depend on your motor, but a good starting point should be 6 inch dia and pitch. Be prepared to print a few until you reach the sweet spot. I just use this website https://www.wageningen-b-series-propeller.com/, change a bit the params, substract a cad i have from the back of my motor+bolt holes , print, bolt, try and start again

1 Like

The updated foil drive assist ‘plus’ is using a small heatsink glued into a hole cut in the enclosure for cooling the ESC, so that people can play with ‘efoiling’ without overheating. Simple solution, with a risk of water ingress, but then you’ve only got a single layer of waterproofing to protect the esc and battery anyway. At least it’s a small battery in the FDA if it gets saltwater in there and catches fire.

1 Like

Funny we’re following the same path (posted a pic above in this thread) . As for waterproofing, i dont see why it wouldnt be possible to place the electronics in an alu box (like your tow buggy) that is in contact with this little alu wall.
Then the batt also in its own little box too.

2 Likes

Nice idea !!! Do you have files for 3d print and edit , i use fusion or inventorm, witch CAD sofware you use ?

can you share 3d print files ? nice build !

Glued with the 3m stuff. Lets see how it holds.

I also added the battery meter, which is plugged to the bms. So if it turns off, then i know i must stop.
I’ll update tomorrow

1 Like
2 Likes

I’d like to find a much lighter (thinner) alu enclosure which is still watertight. The one on my tow boogie is 600g.

FDA are now offering a more durable plastic prop, which is less stiff and more tough - sounds a lot like a ST variant of PLA.

Good work with the external voltmeter, I’ll should add one to my TB.

Awesome build! I cant seem to find what motor you used anywhere? Do you have STL files you’re willing to share?

1 Like

What’s wrong with this motor? You can cut the shaft and add any (folding) prop you want:

€ 54,32 50%OFF | Flipsky 5062 160KV 500W 12S IP68 Waterproof Brushless Motor w/ Propeller for Skateboard RC Car Vehicles Parts
https://a.aliexpress.com/_uhUo3s

If I would tinker something together like this I would use a battery with 12S (2p or 3p) to keep the amps down as well a VESC for current limiting while experimenting with different prop pitches. With 160kv the pitch should be really low. I guess 60 amps for max motor current could still work out.

It has a max voltage of 24 volts, 10 amps normal current, 30 amps max.

Not sure that it would have enough power. It’s kinda confusing as they also mention 12s and max of 500 watts in the ad.

1 Like

Voltage is stated by the max rpm so the kv
Amp is stated by the resistance of coil so wire size so kv

Most of the time numbers don’t add up , here we run it in water so more cooling and rpm will drop under load so we can use high voltage

The most important to me is to stay above a 50% rpm drop under load ( on a static thrust ) vs in the air

Stall current is high but depending on quality short cut can happen before if wires coating melt

I believe more on a 1800w and 2,8N capacity ( a bit short)

1 Like

Any news to the kit?

Things slowed down a bit with the birth of my little boy. But getting things together slowly. Busy with a CNC build so once that’s done I can push my focus back onto the foil builds etc…

Internal dimensions are too small to fit 18650 cells.

1 Like

If anyone knows the actual supplier of the case foil drive uses please post it.

:call_me_hand:

The new foil drive assist is a 8s4p battery? That’s what it looks like when I count the cells. And you can see a BMS board at the end of the battery.

1 Like

Amazing that you can get those battery connectors together. FDA has done an impressive job of squeezing everything into that small enclosure. I ordered one of these exact same enclosures from polycase. I wasn’t too impressed with the quality to be honest. pretty flimsy and you will need to print a guard for the latches so your leash doesn’t snag and rip the thing open!

I got one from http://www.cooksoncontrols.com.au/ in Australia. About 30 USD each with shipping (to Australia) for 2 of them. I don’t think they ship overseas though.

digikey seems to have the same case as well but under a different brand. They should ship worldwide, link below.

https://www.digikey.com.au/en/products/detail/bud-industries/NBF-32408/2328257

Happy to measure the actual internal dimensions of mine - pretty sure i should be able to fit a 6s3p 2170 pack inside. Still waiting on the cells to double check. I think the foil drive assist+ could use a 8s3p 2170 pack.

I’ve started a google doc sheet with some supplier info on it as well.

5 Likes