Foil Drive Assist, DIY

I’m using this 150A marine ESC from hobby king.

1 Like

It looks exactly like the flycolor esc (except for the sticker)

Someone in the thread promised to open the original Foil Drive and report what’s inside, but never did.
I also ordered a similar box, very good water resistance. The only difference is the metal latches on mine.

1 Like

Could we get more info on the boxes (polycast, etc)? I’ve purchased two boxes so far, too big and too small!

1 Like

BUD Industries NBF-32408 Plastic Outdoor NEMA Economy Box 10.63" L x 3.93" W

1 Like

This is the case I think they are using. They grey model with clear lid. It also looks like they use some printed latch guards to keep the latches from snagging on your leash or something and coming undone.

1 Like

I bought a DSE Hibox for $30.
Part: EN-AT-1027
Material: Clear PC top and ABS grey base
Size: 100Wx270Lx70H

I couldn’t fit all the parts in it. My Battery was too big.
I think you might squeeze a 6S3P 21700 in ok.
My 6S4P 18650 battery wouldn’t fit.

I prefer the Explorer 1908, it’s tougher and more room inside for spare cable.

1 Like

Did you cut those protrusions?

My choice of this box is due to its width. My board has a small distance from the edge of the board to the leash attachment. I do not want to install the box on the side because of the shift in the center of gravity.

The Bud box i have is just a rebrand of the DSE hibox 1027. I fit a 6s3p 21700 pack in there, with a bms, and a maker-x foc plus. My setup is close to 3kg, I didn’t want it too heavy.

1 Like

The Mini-FOC PLUS looks similar to this regulator but costs almost twice as much.
https://tomiboiesk8.com/esc-based-on-vesc-6/

They’re similar in that they are both VESC compatible, but the layout of inputs and the size are different. I have had a good run with my bigger MakerX on my tow boogie.
How’s the tomiboi vesc working out for you?

Tomiboiesk8 is 75 x 70 x 17mm
Mini FOC Plus is 60 x 50 x 12mm

Shipping was expensive on the tomiboiesk8 if you weren’t willing to be patient for USPS mail. I might try one for my next tow boogie build if they’re reliable.

I’ll get the VESC next week and I’ll be sure to compare it with the Flycolor.

you will get less “torque” with the VESC but it will be more quiet compared to the Flycolor.

Will the torque be any different if they are running at the same current, or do you mean the flycolor will have a sudden abrupt start which will also cause abrupt shock on the folding prop blades?

VESC allows a lot of tuning and monitoring, including a soft ramp on startup which should make printed props last longer.

I’m hoping those who have built there systems can help justify why a 6S setup is more suitable than a 12S configuration for this application. Wouldn’t we end up with lower current draw through the ESC, and BMS (for those who are using one)? It would be interesting to compare pros/cons for using 6S vs 12S in this application. You would need a lower kV motor to get similar shaft speeds to what most people are getting with 6S but they are available? I’m about to buy my ESC and motor so very interested in peoples thoughts on this.

Probably because of charging. Most balance chargers are up to 8s. So my 14s14p efoil battery is two 7s14p packs hooked in series. And I charge with two icharger X8s. So you’d have to make 2 6s pack and hook them in series which requires extra wires and plugs and adds to weight. Because I’m sure you as still planning to use 24 18650 cells.

:call_me_hand:

2 Likes

And the price! The flycolor/hobbyking esc is 50 eur and works perfect for the application (as long as you dont mind spending a chunk of your power heating the wires!)

2 Likes

120kv is a common lower speed 6384 motor, and a 12s would be running at an excessive rpm of 5000rpm. We only need low speeds for foil assist. I looked at 12s, but couldn’t find a 60-80kv motor. If you’re using a vesc, 12s is no problem, and you have half the current requirement which would be ideal. Wiring (including a bms) is simpler with 6s when fitting a small box, and 6s works with 21700 cells in 6s3p configuration.

There seems to be an upcoming version of foil drive assist with 7s, possibly for more speed. It’s all a compromise of battery run time and weight. The lighter the board the better for pumping and riding swell. I’m yet to see whether I’ll use my foil drive very often, as I have a 1.5km water trip to the swell at my local, and tow boogie does it so well.

On a related note the early proto version of the foil drive seemed to have a balance plug (and likely no bms), but the current production version has a bms.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies. APS do a few low KV (50kV the lowest I could find) 6374 outrunners and maytech do a 90kV. I was going to put a 12S ANT bms but for charging only (similar to how @pablo_foil has set his up). Great point on cost of esc - makes sense.

I’m keen to have the ability to run continuously without risk of esc overheating as one of the use cases of this for me is being able to cruise 1.5km to a winging spot. I’m only 70kg so hopefully can keep continuous draw relatively low (and why I’m thinking 12s). The cooling plate method looks promising but with only one waterproof barrier with these setups I really don’t want to put a hole in the case…

On that note has anyone come up with a low profile (even flexible) waterproof barrier for their battery? It seems inevitable that eventually there could be a little water leak in the case.

Some awesome builds coming on here now so keep them coming!