Holland board build V2

Hey. I finished my second board recently. Short recap of that.

My first board worked okay, never had any issue with water tightness, etc. However, the board was not so easy to transport, as it couldn’t be disassembled and the hatch was secured with 30 odd screws, which took forever to open and close.

Goal:

-Mast to be dismountable from the board, for easier transport
-Hatch to be secured via hatch locks and connected to hinges
-Slightly wider and shorter board (150x60x13,5cm, about 90L)
-Lighter board. (I failed here)

The board is made out of XPS foam sheets from the local DIY shop. Unfortunately, they did not sell the 1,5m length in combination with thin sheets. So, I add the nose cone separately.

The idea of the thin sheets is that on my first board I had issues to get a nice level bottom of the compartment. Now I just cut the compartment hole in each layer and stacked them. Used a hot wire to get the general shape and epoxied it together with a layer of glass in between.

With XPS layers only 30mm thick I was concerned about the mast connection, as I wanted it below the compartment. I made a, not so light, alu sandwich construction around the bottom layer of XPS sheet, to transfer the loads to the sides. Solid, but little heavy.

I used a light weight alu profile to land the hatch on. On this I poured Moldstar. My skills are not as fine as Michion’s, so I cut a way a little, to add a D-shaped rubber profile with some silicone grease. Now it seals good. I put my phone their to record the ride.

The hatch is 10mm plywood, epoxied and painted. I routed some holes for the hatch locks.

The marine locks weren’t cheap but weren’t water proof from the box either. Adding some grease to O-ring + groove sorted this.

The batteries are from the old setup. The box is a 3d printed unit. The lid and the box are made of 2 parts each, which I epoxied and and fibre glassed into an assembly. I open the lid to charge the batteries.

The foil is a new Gong M pro clear + 90cm mast. I used the moldstar to pour my own seal between the board and the mast plate, using a conical 3d printed mold, similar to Beninspain’s idea. The wires + water line are sealed in it with some silicone. The seal presses in the 3d printed oval opening shown above.

This seals perfect but can still be removed. For now I run PM setup but there is an APS 63100 coming in a few weeks so will need to take some stuff apart once water proofed.

The ESC box is an old alu box which I had laying around. I still run my faithful Flier 320A ESC. Added some water proof glands to route the wires in and out. I use a water pump, as is just fitted in the box. Plenty of water pressure, but will test it one day without. All fits snugly.

Not sure what the weight of the board is, expect it to be in the 25 a 30kg range, all in.

Also thanks to Ben for sharing the dimensions of his wooden frame. I build my own, very solid and convenient to take along.

I am just waiting for the grip pad to arrive. My other order got cancelled after 3months waiting. I am using board wax for now.

I used it 6 times so far (about 70km). The flying is fantastic! Very agile and fast. The pro M feels like the right choice for me. Response is very direct and I think I can fly at about 20km. I don’t have a meter to read from, so could be a bit off. I am starting to learn to carve now :slight_smile: can keep going for ever :smiley:

The setup is also more economical. I downsized the prop dia and pitch. Now running a 150/170mm (dia/pitch) prop. I measured the last ride, covering 18 km in 55min at an average of ~71w per km (28Ah to charge back up my 12S14P Q30 pack). The old setup was averaging above 100 Wh. Fair to add that this was without a duct but with a strong wind on the lake.

Curious to see what the 63100 will bring, but for now want to make some hours on this setup.

I also want to add so telemetry tools paired with an arduino, but that will be the winter project, together with a remote. One can never be finished :smiley:

13 Likes

Nice one Marc. What glue did you use to put the XPS plates together?

Hey Kian, I used typical epoxy for this (got it from this website: ). That with a layer of fibre glass and some weights on top. I did the whole stack a once.

1 Like

Thank you for the info Marc.
Yes. I guess epoxying the XPS together will work, but it will add extra weight too, and might make it harder to shape the blank when reaching the epoxy with the sandpaper.

I’m still not sure what to use. 3M has some special spray glue for this, but it is hard to find.

:call_me_hand:

Marc. One more question.
Why did you use XPS and not EPS?

Yeah i went a little overboard with the extra layers off glass in between. But the shaping i did mostly before epoxying it together, so that wasnt really an issue for me. I didnt want to get stuck with a huge amount of foam, but otherwise I would have taken one thin bottom sheet and one thick upper sheet.

Regarding, xps/eps. I can exactly remember, I think it was a matter of availability at the DYI shop

1 Like

Once again thank you for the info.

I’ve (my dad) just ordered some 3M 77 spray glue.
Let’s hope that it will work, and not dissolve the XPS/EPS.

Je board ziet er mooi uit man :+1: :call_me_hand:

That spray glue will most likely dissolve EPS! EPS seems to be a very sensitive foam so be careful when adding any sort of chemicals on it. Always start with a sample first otherwise you could do some real damage!

Thank you for the warning.

According to the info it should not dissolve XPS/EPS, but yes. For sure I will test it 1st on a small part.

I totally agree with Victor, i used a bit of automotive filler (for really smooth finish) on a test piece, it dissolved in front of my eyes.

I still have many sheets of XPS (link), you could just have it if you want.

I will keep you guys updated about the glue, and Marc. PM has been send.

May I suggest FM610 ? It is a PU foam that can be used as a sealant as well between XPS/EPS layers.
http://www.gwscork.ie/product-pages/FM610/82/
Not tested personally. I got this reference on a Rob Surfboard YouTube video. He loves the product because it is available, it bonds well and it is green so highly visible between XPS/EPS blocks. I don’t know if it can be cut with a hot wire though.

Rob Work cut board

1 Like

Thank you for the info.

It is all so confusing.
Rob is using PU010 here…

Rob is making things look so easy too.

You could probably laminate it with spray foam too. That stuff is sticky and it would blend in quite well!

If you google Styrobond you should come up with something local.

I use this stuff which is a long tack contact adhesive.
It is Red so you can better control coverage which is great to avoid added excess weight. Plus it wont affect shaping.

that looks like the stuff I should have put there. I think i look at 1kg of glass and epoxy at those intermittent layers alone.

It’s really easy to add weight without realizing just how much.

The next one you build will be lighter.
And the one after that will be lighter again.:+1:

1 Like

I totally agree with you guys! Adding up weight on a board build is very easy. You always want to make things stronger so it doesn’t break easily and it performs well but I guess sometimes we go too far with it!

1 Like

77 works fine for most foams. The trick is to keep a 8” distance from the foam and spray lightly, or the high concentration of the chemical may melt it. Also remember to wait 30-40 seconds and let it tack up. The less you wait, the weaker the bond. Wait too long and it’s useless. Definitely an art to the 77. If I just want a light bond, I’ll wait 15 seconds or so.

1 Like

Okay. Got the EPS glued together with the 3M 77 spray glue, but it sucks!

The EPS foam blocks do not really stick together well.

Not sure if we should leave it like this as glass will keep them together, or redo the plates with pur foam.

Any suggestions?