With cold weather here and so little data available I thought it would be a good idea to build a flume for testing motors and propellers. Don’t laugh at what I built… I had a few tight constraints. 1) materials had to fit in the back of my car, 2) The flume has to fit in my two car garage (when it is not in use) and with two cars inside the garage too.
Mike (fancyfoam) and I tested it for the first time this evening… looks like it going to work. It’s not perfect but with a few improvements we should be able to do some good propeller testing and development.
So far the flume can measure thrust, torque, Volts, Amps, Watts, with future measurement of motor speed and possibly water speed.
Below are some photos of the flume.
The tank is a simple box with a tarp for a liner…redneck swimming pool style.
Heavy duty tube supports shaft and propeller inside of the flume.
Business end of the flume with thrust and torque measurement.