Inflatable board MALA my second project

First test of the MALA, a little disappointed by the lack of power at the start compared to a motor with gearbox. However, once in the air, it’s great: speed, no noise, happiness.
I’m going to tweak the ZESC RAIDEN parameters and see if it’s possible to improve the take-off punch.
Any advice is welcome.
I have very little feedback via the met.pro I lost the signal and it never recovered:
https://metr.at/r/VqOYb

Thanks

1 Like

Hi Robert ,
New outing this afternoon with new settings and of course new problems …
Still as difficult to get out of the water compared to my first board … And duct breakage :rage::scream::rage:… but no trace on the propeller, wings, mast or fuselage …:thinking::thinking::thinking:, and this GPS metr.pro that only works when it wants to…

1 Like

Hi,

so, not use a duct now :partying_face:

So, with my first Mala 170 version I had less problems to come out. My settings was last year with the beginner foil ( Gong Alvator L ) around 120A max motor.

This year i changed to th Veloce M and set to maximum 130/140 A. After some attempts, I was able to foiling.

The big challenge was the short Mala ( 140 cm )
But after I set the max Motor A to 160/170, I also came up.

You must set your A much more higher, give full gas for a short moment and you need more speed. I am sure, it will work :wink:

1 Like

No duct effectively :wink::joy:
Do you have the STL file for the no duct as well as the c output of the cone propeller

No, I have a Maytech Motor.

1 Like

Waiting for the summer …

12 Likes

Hello,

I like the approach you used for the box. The end result looks great with the inflatable board

What coupling nuts did you use? (thread size and length). Do you recall what source you purchased them from?

Hello,
I bought the spacers from RS Components, here are the references:

Part number 1768261:
Threaded spacer Wurth Elektronik, length 60mm, Male / Female, M5

Part number 2053083:
Threaded spacer Wurth Elektronik, length 50mm, Female / Female, M5

But this is a bit heavy (800 grams) … I would have liked to find aluminum but not seen .

Did you manage to buy a MALA at Vlastimil?..??

1 Like

Thanks for the info.

I have not purchased a MALA board yet. Overall, just kicking around the idea of possibly an inflatable board in the future.

1 Like

Board looks nice but huge, what’s the dimensions and litres?

The dimensions are 1,70 X 0,75 X 11,5
The footage should be about 110 liters I think :thinking:

1 Like

It looks way bigger on the pics than it is then :grinning:

Are you happy with the 75cm width? My hardboard is 55cm and the wider boards just look slow (even when i know it’s minimal extra weight)

Reason i ask is that i am no lightweight… A bigger board is nice for float but i guess that above some point the big board makes your ride duller. My board is about 110L and total weight is 130kg with me on it.

I am the owner from the shorter Mala with 140cm.

2 Likes

Mala short :wink:

3 Likes

Nice pics but but but :wink: what are your thoughts about the board width and volume?

My weight is around 80 kg.
The setup is 14s14p with an 65162 120 kV motor and the 6" / 7" FR propeller.
Trampa 75/300 VESC.
Wingset: Gong Surf Pro MT and Veloce M with a 39cm Veloce Stab.
2020, i am riding with the 170 cm Mala board and it was all easy.
Last year i changed to the short Mala. First i was not able to come on my board.
After i changed my technik, and set the maximum settings for motor A to 170A, i was able to easy come on my board. With the long mast, it was no problem to turn tight turns.

Here is my log from my last run.
https://metr.at/r/OYVYf

I did a big lap around the lake, then drained the battery at high speed and tight turns.

1 Like

Do you like the smaller board better overall? If so then why?

I sometimes think that the smaller board route is just a thing in the imagination (looks nicer but in reality small benefit? 1kg less weight on a 100kg total is negligible etc)

When I plan to circumnavigate our great lakes, I prefer the longer mala because I need a lot less energy at the start. Also i take biger wings for that. When it comes to the fun factor, the short one is clearly my favorite.

2 Likes

With a smaller board there is less swing weight when turning fast and way less wind drag if it’s windy. I’m not sure why mala went so wide though. I don’t really see a benefit going wider than 65cm…

Agreed! It’s only that the extra kilo is such a small addition to the total in weight. Wind wise definitely it makes a difference.