Inflatable board MALA my second project

My rigid board measures 66 which is more than enough I think too. I just looked at other brands of inflatable boards, most of them are also 75 wide.
I find the big MALA very stable and comfortable with a Gong kite size L with the M it is less obvious than my rigid board.

For your first board you should have your weigh+board weigh+20L minimum.
First reason is safety if you ride alone in cold waters, then flotation and ability to paddle home is key.
Second reason is quick starts. If you ride in swells/waves, then you need to be able to go from knees to standing in less than 5m. Starting lying down is not an option here.
Third reason, the one that nobody mentions. Itā€™s really hard to make a large lid submersibly water-tight With 20L extra volume itā€™s enought with normal waterproof.

Have hardboards 67 & 110L, inflatables 140 & 190L. The 190 is more used then the rest combined.

2 Likes

Great post, i totally agree!

(I have just cut an 80L board so letā€™s see how a sinker feels :grinning:

Thereā€™s no hard and fast rule here. A lot comes down to each userā€™s water based experience and ability. Iā€™ve seen 110kg first time efoilers get up on my board (65L and 18 kg) without any trouble at all. Everything comes down to technique (and maybe some basic coaching).
The first mistake most people make is they try stand up or get to their knees while they are going WAY to slowly leading to massive instability.

What absolute bollocks! In swells and waves you can jet out of any situation on your stomach without the need to ever get to your feet. As long as the board has the ability to get onto the plane and the rider keeps their weight distribution even then theyā€™ll have no issue whatsoever.
Beginners should not be riding an efoil in the surf anyway, it just endangers others water users and will likely lead to more legislation around them.

This just comes down to construction and ability to waterproof. I have large hatches on all my foils and they all sit submerged when I am on them. Not a single one has ever let water through the hatch lid because it is always properly and securely fastened. On top of even if it isnā€™t, then if you house the batteries and electronics properly, then they wonā€™t leak regardless.

At the end of the day a lot with board size comes down to each end user. I (95kg) only ride my 65L board and have sold the larger ones on as they just too cumbersome if they are long and wide.
The best advice I can give any beginner is donā€™t try stand while the board is going slowly unless you have a SUP style efoil. Always get the board up to about 13-15kph, keep your weight forward so the foil wonā€™t ā€˜popā€™ up and then stand as its way easier and more stable.

2 Likes

It sounds like the Supernova would be the next step for you Jeremy :slight_smile:
Perhaps I posted in the wrong thread, but my intention was advice to 1:st time board builder. Not design advice for experienced riders. Think most would benefit from having larger touring board and one smaller sport board.
Would love to see how you start your 65L board, since you are close to my weight.
My smallest is a Fliteboard, and I really struggle to start and maintain reception up until 15kph especially in some chop.

1 Like

Haha, Iā€™d back myself starting on a negative bouyancy board. But Iā€™d just use a launcher instead of deep water start it. Thatā€™s where supernova failed!

All the guys I know or teach, I advise them to do two sessions on a bouyant board so that they can get the basics and weight distribution correct. Once theyā€™ve figured that out, then they can move to a smaller board.
When the little one (6 weeks old) is a bit bigger and the wife has her hands free, Iā€™ll get her to video my technique on getting up. Iā€™ll also have a look see if I can find any videos on my phone in case I already have one.

I suspect Jezza is too good surfer to give advice :slight_smile:
Sure there are no hard rules, not mocking you here, i actually think the difference between a surfer and a regular guy trying efoils is huge. 20L bouyancy likely makes the first time on your board a lot easier.

Also with a bit of float there is less resistance at takeoff when you are optimising your system and prop/ESC/whatever isnā€™t trimmed perfectly. The best thing about going the DIY route is that you start with the big board and then can cut it to your liking later. Wouldnā€™t dream about doing that to a 12000$ lift board!

Thatā€™s not wrong at all. Surfers are used to getting up on low volume boards and will invariably have a better technique to get up. But itā€™s also why Iā€™m looking at a different board type, a combination of a few things that I think will greatly help beginners and also be a lot of fun for experienced ridersā€¦

Guyā€™s, grat job.
Iā€™m also looking for a box for my MALA.
Is there nothing to get from Vlastimil?

1 Like

Vlastimil told me when i have last time contact with him, that he produce the Inflatable again fpr a batch greater than 10 pieces.

Thx, but Iā€™m looking for the box, the inflatable is already on stock :grinning:

I had a .STL for the not CFK Version for 3D printing

Possible to have a look?

Yes.

You also have my conception of the case here :
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4962663

1 Like

Does that mean you already have a board or there is a place people can buy it?

Thx, but Iā€™m afraid my Prusa wonā€™t swallow this dimension.

I bought my MALA already in 2020 from Vlasti

1 Like

You can change it a little bit and print it in more parts.
I printed it with 20% 3D Infill

itā€™s a long or short board ?