Introduction and build plans

Hello community!
i just joined the forum hoping to find some answers to many questions and also to feel the atmosphere a bit.
Barely 2 weeks ago in Southern Dutchlands i had my first e-foil session on a Waydoo and immediately knew this was the start of something good. Was planning to drop 12k Euro on a Fliteboard but…it’s silly to pay that much for missing all the build fun + repairability in own hands so i guess i found my winter project!
Im not new to VESC and like to work with composites. Total fool with CAD so depending on fellow hobbyists for that.
Now 1 of the things that busy me reading a bit about efoils/builds etc. (I have many of these questions to complete a picture first before i start building):
Are there any ride logs available where motor currents can be seen? In other words: What kind of motor currents are used on the DIY efoils? Continuous, burst and ABS MAX?

Depends on weight, wing, motor, board, propeller. 150-250A on a 120kV motor is about the highest i’ve seen. These are for heavy people, or rifle case builds. Good builds and lower weight about 100A

And you do know that motor current and battery current is not the same?

1 Like

150-200A continuous or max?
Yes, im aware of difference between battery and motor amps;) Battery amps on e-foils are very unlikely to be a bottleneck in these builds lol.

Max. And the motor current is normally not a bottleneck either but the cooling of the esc.

Could you elaborate on the relationship about battery and motor current? Are we talking about the motor consuming more amps depending on the duty cycle and rpm?

No, it is not correct saying it’s consuming higher current, motor current is regulated by the controller to meet the throttle request and load.

And yes, it’s due to the pwm duty cycle, which is dependent on rpm and throttle request.

I still dont fully understand VESC’s that why im asking. So if i limit my 65161 to 120A max it can only see 120A and the battery (given it was static and always full) will be providing 120A right?

This is also quite interesting. Most vescs have no issue running 60deg continuous. Even in a closed box heatsinked towards the outside air running with temps of 35C OAT. Also current gen vescs have very good mosfets, so a vesc on top of the mast heatsinked to it should give literally zero heat issues.

1 Like

It’s not vesc related, all esc:s have the same basic function.

But i’m not sure this discussion is what the thread is about so let’s not continue.

1 Like

If you limit your motor to 120A max the motor will cut out at about your topspeed (i predict) making you nosedive.

No, it will not cut out, esc will just limit the current to the set number.

True, but you need some sort of cooling. For efoils not so hard since packs and boxes are large, for tow boogies and foil assists it’s harder (but manageable).

1 Like

It’s quite heavy digging looking for these kinds of details in the forum so by all means you can put anything you like in this thread.
Just giving an example simplified: certain vesc producer used mosfet A in the past. They got warm but manageable. Now they use mosfet B and the whole thing, with the exact same specs runs 30% cooler. Flipsky afaik is not really known for using the best components in the FSESC

Yes, they hack together a working but less functional product at a lower price :smile:

My first build is currently underway and i will take the approach of the “Frankenstein Build” found here. The VESC is 100% passively cooled through the Gong mast made out of aluminium. I will fab up some cnc stuff and submerge the ESC in Dielectric fluid aswell to improve thermal conductivity. I have high hopes. Although @Larsb just made me nervous because i bought all my stuff from Flipsky :rofl:

1 Like

Flipsky 75200 on mast passive cooling is working 100%

2 Likes

I can confirm. The Flipsky’s 75200 on the mast absolutely no issues what so ever!

1 Like

I dont think you need fluid for cooling. Just thermal paste between vesc and heatsink plate.
I ve read many people here use flipsky without issues, no need to worry really. I never would use one on a Onewheel though. Hitting asphalt at 50+ kph cause vesc fails is no fun. So there need to bite the bullet and buy premium.

1 Like

A dielectric fluid shouldn’t be needed for thermal management(at least with the 75200), but it may serve similar purpose as potting if moisture gets into the esc box.

I ve seen your build and it’s VERY inspiring. Will not buy a Flite deck though and build one instead. Still puzzled how the mast baseplate is attached to the deck?! Is there a frame/plate inside the foam base?? Got much to learn. Also: Would a 9mm wider and slightly shorter vesc fit on the adapter plate?