Introduction and build plans

If you limit your motor to 120A max the motor will cut out at about your topspeed (i predict) making you nosedive.

No, it will not cut out, esc will just limit the current to the set number.

True, but you need some sort of cooling. For efoils not so hard since packs and boxes are large, for tow boogies and foil assists it’s harder (but manageable).

1 Like

It’s quite heavy digging looking for these kinds of details in the forum so by all means you can put anything you like in this thread.
Just giving an example simplified: certain vesc producer used mosfet A in the past. They got warm but manageable. Now they use mosfet B and the whole thing, with the exact same specs runs 30% cooler. Flipsky afaik is not really known for using the best components in the FSESC

Yes, they hack together a working but less functional product at a lower price :smile:

My first build is currently underway and i will take the approach of the “Frankenstein Build” found here. The VESC is 100% passively cooled through the Gong mast made out of aluminium. I will fab up some cnc stuff and submerge the ESC in Dielectric fluid aswell to improve thermal conductivity. I have high hopes. Although @Larsb just made me nervous because i bought all my stuff from Flipsky :rofl:

1 Like

Flipsky 75200 on mast passive cooling is working 100%

2 Likes

I can confirm. The Flipsky’s 75200 on the mast absolutely no issues what so ever!

1 Like

I dont think you need fluid for cooling. Just thermal paste between vesc and heatsink plate.
I ve read many people here use flipsky without issues, no need to worry really. I never would use one on a Onewheel though. Hitting asphalt at 50+ kph cause vesc fails is no fun. So there need to bite the bullet and buy premium.

1 Like

A dielectric fluid shouldn’t be needed for thermal management(at least with the 75200), but it may serve similar purpose as potting if moisture gets into the esc box.

I ve seen your build and it’s VERY inspiring. Will not buy a Flite deck though and build one instead. Still puzzled how the mast baseplate is attached to the deck?! Is there a frame/plate inside the foam base?? Got much to learn. Also: Would a 9mm wider and slightly shorter vesc fit on the adapter plate?

Yea, and easier to remove than potting it in solids i guess?!

Thats also something i dont fully get yet about the fixing to the board. At what point do you add the inserts in and which ones are recommended? Same question about the top of the deck, since I might wanna add some handles there.

There are likely some build threads buried somewhere on the forum showing those details if you spend enough time digging.

Specifically for a fliteboard there is recent thread with a link to a YouTube video that sort of shows how a damaged mast box just pops right out.

This won’t directly applicable to your own board, but at least gives you an idea of what Flite does

1 Like

Thanks i will try and learn from it. For accuracy reasons, its probably a good idea to mill a wooden frame for the screw locations and embed it in the board.

Also: What Wh/Km range is usual for cruise/carve sessions on efoil? I’d love to see some avg real-life numbers along with rider weight + avg speed and ride condition (calm water, high wind, waves etc)

Depends on your setup, wing, average speed, number of tackoffs etc. 60Wh/km is a good value if you go slowly (25km/h average), 80Wh/km is still ok. Above is either inefficient, lots of swell or a beginner that spends a lot of time during takeoffs. If you run faster than 30km/h average, consumption rises significantly, as resistance of water increses squre to speed.
My values came down over time, they were
Higher in the beginning for several reasons like: lots of takeoffs, big slow wing, too big backwing with too big downwards angle producing lots of drag. Duct that produced a lot of drag.
Below a metr log with a North Sonar HA950, DIYS 220cm2 stab, FR Motor with 7” 2 blade FR Prop, no duct:

https://metr.at/r/iaKwz

2 Likes

Sorry forgot the weight and conditions:
Rider weigh: 75kg (without wetsuit, west etc.)
Conditions: small choppy swell 30cm, moderate wind <10knts

1 Like

Thanks for the logfile, lots of useful info. DC and motor amps way lower than i would expect!! What battery pack do you use?

Molicel P42A 14S11P.

1 Like