JDubs Dual Motor Tow Boogie

I love my Prusa, but the speed those bambu’s print at is unreal!!! It took me like 26 hours to print the motor pods.

Finally finished my DIY assist after getting sidetracked by the tow boogie. Works pretty dang awesome! Using the same BREmote with a different RX board. I love that BREmote!

1 Like
2 Likes

Awesome, what the specs for your fauxdrive?

Cheap AliExpress 6384 150kv motor I changed the bearings to ceramic, wires to 12awg and soaked in corrosion x.

Maytech 100a VESC, hole cut in box for cooling heatsink and 3m 5200 to seal it in.

Home built 8s3p 21700 battery with Molicel P42a’s and a Daly BMS.

DSE Hibox, same as the big company.

Ancor 12/3 marine wire.

Prop and motor pod in PETG from this forum 3d printed on my Prusa and epoxied props for strength. I borrowed a buddies foildrive prop for the first time out while mine were finishing curing. The aluminum props are definitely way nicer.

BREmote, I can’t speak highly enough about these!

I am 190lbs, I was using my 56L board, Armstrong setup is 85cm A+, HA1125, 50cm fuse, 195 tail.

2 Likes

What values of phase and battery currents do you use in the setup? Are there any problems with the controller overheating?

For the FAUX drive I used the default phase values from the motor detect. For the currents I used max motor 100A and absolute max of 130A. No problems overheating. I cut the bottom of the box so the heatsink is exposed and it works very well. The BREmote shows my VESC temp and I never saw above 70C and it cools off quick as soon as your off the throttle a bit. I dont have any experience Efoiling so my throttle control is lacking at best. I am not planning on using it as an foil, just to get into waves, so I dont think overheating is a concern at all.

Which one is the closest ?

BUD Industries NBF-32408 Plastic… Sorry! Something went wrong!

This is the exact one. Don’t let the BUD industries fool you it is labeled DSE on the box. You have to modify with some sanding to get the 8s3p 21700 battery to fit as there is a ridge down the middle of the bottom of the box.

Same DSE. Case from a different vendor. Get the outdoor with clear cover if you want, but this is the exact same case.

This is so awesome and solves the biggest issue I have with my Tow Boogie, I am constantly trying to be careful I don’t capsize the board from torque thrust. Definitely gotten better at it but sometimes its unavoidable.

I set up steering on my TB using a server and rudder and while its awesome to be able navigate the board back to you but the rudder has also caused cavitation problems and it doesn’t always centre correctly when released so you have counter-steer it and it becomes a pain.

Unfortunately the differential steering addition to Bremote only became available half way through my build but now that you have proved it works so well Im thinking seriously about doing a conversion myself.

Congrats again and keep us posted.

I really think it’s the way to go! I wish the bigger inrunner motors weren’t so expensive because this thing could be a ridiculous beast with a couple of those on there. I’m gonna try a fly color 80a esc on my foil assist and see how it compares in power to the Maytech 100a VESC. If it is more powerful I might change the flipsky 70a VESC’s to a couple of those on the tow boogie.

I think there would be too much power for such a small vessel so it would kinda just be a waste. Something in between ideally so you could pull yourself up on a small prone board.

It would definitely be overkill. Maybe 63100’s to get up on prone board?

1 Like

Just a couple of shots of the tow boogie in action. I am slowly becoming the laziest foiler ever not having to pump or paddle back out to catch a wave. I still prefer winging, but this thing is awesome for those no wind days.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Love the remote shake, i do it without thinking now!

What do you weigh?

I have no reason why I shake it… haha.

I’m 190-195lbs. I think I could ride a 2x4 with this thing. I’m gonna try my kite foil board next. It pulled me out so easy.

My flipsky remote is potted, but would fill with water around the antenna, shaking it got rid of the water and the reception was so much better.

The BREmote is waterproof and shaking it doesn’t do anything. I seriously have no idea why I do it. :joy::joy:

3 Likes

Okay I give up trying to find the files for the 3d printed motor pods for the 6384 motor. @Jesserosco would you help me out and share the link please? Really keen to be rid of torque roll. thx