JDubs Dual Motor Tow Boogie

I’ll post the files when I get home.

Just to test the power I used my kite foil board which can’t be more than 10L at best and it pulled me up without much issue except trying to hold on with one arm. This thing is a beast. I really prefer these x-cross speed controllers. Much smoother throttle response than the flipsky VESC.

3 Likes

Thx Jesse,

I was looking into those ESC’s for my conversion, unfortunately its not gonna work out for me coz I’m repurposing my 14s from my TB and I don’t feel like taking it apart to convert to 12s which is the max those x-cross ESC’s can handle apparently - Boo hiss hiss boo.

This is interesting, and counterintuitive since the VESCs have throttle curve setting if you want to change response. Did you ever try this? I never did so i can’t say how good it is but i would imagine that it could match the flycolor escs with a tuning.

X CROSS HV3 all the way. Cheap, simple, effective and high quality. Glad that @Etiennebzh found them!

If tried to configure my VESC in FOC and never ever managed to get similar torque. Only VESC BLDC was about to get closer.

2 Likes

Torque is hard to compare if we don’t know power into system. Might be that the flycolor current is just higher ( i am not promoting either flycolors or vescs)

It’s just that i’ve run a few vescs and don’t find the throttle control to be bad , therefore i am curious - let @Jesserosco answer.

2 Likes

The flycolor x-cross is 120a and the flipsky VESC is only 70a, so no comparison in power. I got the flipsky throttle pretty smooth, but it took a lot of fiddling with and I would still get cogging on initial throttle input sometimes. For the flycolor it took me a couple times to get the min/max throttle set and now it just runs as smooth as can be with no issues. I had to manually input min/max throttle in the blheli32 program because it wouldn’t automatically do it with the BREmote.

Ah, so it’s programmable? Do you need to get some extra hardware to do it or is it just a cable to connect?

I just use an arduino nano to program. Super easy. Tons of videos on YouTube showing how to program blheli32 with arduino.

Is this the ESC you are talking about?
How suitable is it for a foil assist build?
What are some other pros/cons compared to Flipsky 75100?

Thanks!

1 Like

These are being used by okp on his foil assists. They seem to run better than vesc without having any heating issues.

1 Like

max 12S but I like them so much on my Foil Assist that I am also thinking to put them under water-cooling for my eTOW.

Yes, that’s the one. It would be killer on a foil assist. I have the Maytech on my assist and it works good, but if I built another one I would use the x-cross 120 or 160 amp. I’ve never had a flipsky 75/100, so I can’t compare. I have the flipsky 70A on my first tow boogie. I have a friend that wants my first tow boogie, but if he doesn’t buy it then I’m immediately replacing the flipsky for more x-cross ESC’s.

I just have them attached to an external heatsink using thermal epoxy and I have the temperature limit set to 85C. It has not hit 85C and I was full throttle just hammering on this thing to get going on my kite foil board and it never limited.

I think the only downside is not being able to get telemetry easily from the x-cross. It provides telemetry, but the only easy option is to buy a flight controller to easily read data. I am trying to figure out how to add code to the BREmote setup so I can get the battery percentage and temp on my display like I do with the VESC based ESC.

2 Likes

Took apart tow boogie 1 to update the mounts from the plywood, etc… so I decided to check the motors out after a few months of salt water use only using corrosion x. Minimal corrosion on a few parts that wiped off easily.

4 Likes

What’s your maintenance routine? Do you remove the rotor and rinse with fresh water? How often do you spray the motor with Corrosion X?

I rinse it with fresh water after every ride. I don’t remove anything I just spray water where the wires go into the motor. I spray corrosion x in every 3-5 times out.

2 Likes

Hear a couple photos for the updated mounting hardware. I used 1/8" aluminum plate. I tried using large flat washers, but it just seemed like they would pull through the foam board pretty easily, probably wouldn’t be a big deal for the motor mounts, but for the case mount I definitely feel larger plate is required. I bought a couple heatsinks off amazon and cut them to size and used thermal epoxy to attach the x-cross speed controller directly to the heatsink. I left the original heatsink on the speed controller. I wish I would have taken more time to get everything lined up better on the heatsink placement, just to make it look more professional, but there is always version 3 and need to leave room for improvements to keep the motivation going to make better stuff. I think I am going to dive into flight controllers next and see about implementing ardupilot or something similar to try gps guidance.

3 Likes

You convinced me on the bambu and I am not disappointed. I had to increase the nozzle temp from the default for PETG, but it’s unreal how fast it is!! I still love my Prusa and printed the props on it without supports and they turned out really nice.

3 Likes

Anybody got any info on this??

@Strongarm - he’s your guy

Thanks @hangloose these waterproof connectors are awesome! If you haven’t looked at his build it is next level quality.

3 Likes