JDubs Dual Motor Tow Boogie

Here is the modified version of @hangloose LMT-6 connector. Thank you again for letting me modify and share this. Be sure to water test the connector after they are installed before you put any electronics or battery in your waterproof box.

https://www.printables.com/model/845513-hangloose-modified-lmt-6-connector

7 Likes

Thanks @Jesserosco for sharing this. My locally sourced connectors are too long, so I’ll need to get the ones you’ve designed for. Is this link correct? If not, would you mind sharing an Amazon or AliEx link? https://www.amazon.com/FLY-RC-Battery-Banana-Connector/dp/B07CZG48N4 The 6mm option?
Many thanks.

Those are the ones I use.

1 Like

Got the APD 200F3 (x) V2 speed controllers working with the BREmote, thanks so much to @ludwig_bre for all the help!!

I changed around the box design a bit to get rid of most of the foam and built a thru-box connector to use an external antenna on a flag. Can’t wait to see what this bad boy will do. It’s been super windy and great waves, so only been winging, but the wind dies after a couple days and I’ll get this in the water to test it all out.

4 Likes

Thos APD 200 are beasts. Which motors are you running them with?

Same cheap ole 6384 120kv motors. They’ve always worked great. I know these APD’s are overkill, but I got them because I blew up 2 Flycolor X-Cross’ and wanted something better quality. I think we figured out why the x cross exploded and I haven’t had any more issues with them since.

These APD’s are really nice quality and their customer service is top notch.

1 Like

@Jesserosco …im thinking of using an APD ESC…do you find that heat sink solution you have with the Pelicase is enough?.. i may go BOPLA box like “hangloose” as its an Ali box anyway.Was just wondering what the heating situation is…id be running 12S with a 63100…tow boog single engine.
Cheers
K

Thanks for sharing @Jesserosco that is a great looking build! + Printing your connector mods now.
Silly Q’s with assumptions from a noob!
Assumptions

• Single pack split to both speed controllers
  • The BRemote RX with dual steering mod that connects directly to each speed controller
  • There’s heat exchange plates on both sides of the box
  • Awg 10 wire through connector

Q’s

1. Are the speed controllers wired together in anyway, if so how/why?
  2. How does the battery level get sent back to the remote?
  3. Is that a duct on the connector side of the box? Tell us about it

Yes. It also has a huge 1/4” aluminum piece on the outside of the box that is attached to the mosfets on the other side. It works good on all my other ones, so it should be good.

1 Like

Hopefully this helps and feel free to reach out with more questions.

Also, I use 12awg for the motor wires.

1 Like

Got everything cleaned up, removed the BMS cause I only use it to charge and needed to move the main positive wire for the battery to line up better. Hopefully I can get it in the water tomorrow to finally try it out.

2 Likes

Great Work! I am fully impressed!
Two questions: Do you have two Cables/signal wires from the reciever to the ESC´s? How does this work?

Has the tow boogie enough power to pull a 75kg men with a pumpfoil Board (13l) and HA Wing out of the water?

Thx!

Thank you. I look back at the first one I built and it worked great, but with a lot of inspiration from guys like @hangloose and many others on the forum I’ve tried to improve my design. This is the fourth one I’ve built and I I still see a ton of ways to improve it.

Yes there is 2 separate signal wires from the RX board. I use the BREmote by @ludwig_bre and it’s a simple modification that he describes very well. The connectors I use are a modified one from @hangloose.

Yes it will pull a 75kg man on a 13l pump board with a HA foil, but it’s a lot of pull on your arm. I am 85-90kg and I use a 27L prone board with no problem. I used my kite foil board which is 10-15L just to test the power and it works, but it’s a lot of strain on my arm. I water start with my feet already on my board and crouching down. If I was gonna use anything smaller I would practice starting on my belly or knees to reduce the wear and tear on my arm.

3 Likes

Can you please share your findings about the X-Cross ESC’s you had, as I’m still building mine with them and if I can avoid blowing them up, I’m keen to hear about it!

Here is a video showing the function LINK

And here the way to wire it BREmote/img/conn3.png at main · Luddi96/BREmote · GitHub

If you have ESCs, you will also need two BEC (voltage regulator) for them

2 Likes

I cannot definitely say why, but the flycolor x-cross do not have current sensing, so I turned current protection off and haven’t had any issues. Here is my current settings that I use.

1 Like

So, first outing with the APD 200F3’s was not as spectacular as I was hoping. I have something configured wrong cause I was barely able to get on foil and it took a lot of effort to do that. They aren’t producing as much power as my flycolor 120A’s, so I think I might not have the PWM maxing out and will have to play with the numbers to figure out if that’s the issue.

On a positive note, everything was working great with the external antenna and box is bone dry. Again it was working good and if I would have been on my 33L board I wouldn’t have any issues, but for the price of these things I expect my arm to rip out of my socket. Haha

5 Likes

Sorry to hear about the esc. I’m sure you will sort it. The whole set up looks brilliant.

Can I ask how you have connected up the antenna extender? It looks like you have an external plug on the outside of your box. I would love to know how the external plug connects to the internal antennae.

Many thanks.

I like the antenna and flag. Has the antenna improved your range significantly? Any other observations?

I’m guessing you must not tip or roll the board much.

I didn’t test the range yet, but it should be significantly better keeping the line of sight up higher.

The dual motor boogies are super stable and I can’t remember the last time I rolled it over. I rolled it quite a bit at the beginning until I learned to ease up on the throttle when turning.

1 Like