Lacroix Vortex - A solid ESK8 brand entering the eFoil world

Not many because from his statistics he hasn’t really been to the site since. I asked for the dimensions of the enclosure, but got no response.

5 Likes

I am checking our a vortex for a buddy since they stopped responding to warrenty emails. wasn’t able to charge, but discharge worked OK. I was able to use the overkill solar app to recognize the BMS bluetooth. Looks like one cell is shot… Double checking now to make sure there isn’t a loose wire.

Since I got it cracked open on my desk, let me know if anyone else has questions…

Yeah one set of cells is 0V.

What the thickness of the walls, base and top of the housing?

6-7.5mm wall, but it has a couple slight steps in it

About 3mm top and bottom

1 Like

Wow I though the top/bottom would be at least 5mm, but I guess the rely on the bolts running through and compressing the enclosure. Would be interesting to see if it survives a foil crash.

I thought it was CNCed but it looks like injection molded aluminium. Can you confirm ?

That’s a lot of weight for an enclosure, seems like a suboptimised solution, all that just to be able to use your existing board?

Yes it is CNCed. There are tooling marks I can see.

Yeah pretty much that. I think they were trying to target people that that already had boards (and foils?) and the preorder price was only 3899 which is a pretty decent deal at the time.

We had 3 guys around here with one. It is nice that you could go to the beach to wingfoil, the wind dies, and slap it on that board and not have to bring much extra gear.

1 Like

Same problem as with the rifle case: how thin can be the enveloppe when top and bottom skins are locked to one another … both skins work together…

It’s actually pretty light enclosure-wise.
±2.7kg for a sealed enclosure, 6kg for a board and you’re under any commercial efoil. Most commercial boards struggle to get under 10kg just for the boards.
When pwrfoil did an enclosure like this I thought it was ugly as anything, but weirdly enough my use case of boards and foiling has changed now and I’d happily use a solution like this.

1 Like

Interesting:

A lot going on in there. The 3 power connections to the VESC and external BMS makes it look more spaghetti like than a lot of even DIY builds. It does mean that fault finding like Bryce is doing is a lot easier though.

I get quite a bit of joy seeing off the shelf components being used in commercial products like this - it make sense, no point in reinventing speed controllers or connectors for low volume products.

1 Like

It’s interesting that they used a single xt90 for the battery connector though. I would have gone with 2 or an as150

Cross-ref: a DiY 9s4p nano Vortex by @okp

This has nothing to do with a vortex. The design for bottom of the board units existed long before the vortex was designed!