Lacroix Vortex - A solid ESK8 brand entering the eFoil world

Yeah I’ll get some more pictures today.

The 4 holes on there go through the mast plate, through the vortex, and into tnuts on the board (with 4 long bolts it comes with)

XT90 is a loop key to turn it on and off, not sure what port is the charge port

Took the prop guard and printed him a fairing (found on the forum somewhere…) . Same one that I used on my flipsky motor.

2 Likes

To be flush with the board bottom, it should be possible to hide the device in a cut-out like the Ginxu wingfoil boards from KT

One of the guys that bought one, makes wingboards as well. He was looking at doing a board with a space so the lacroix part is flush with the rest of the board.

For the above board, I don’t think the step would be far enough forward to fit the lacroix.

Hey everyone, Alex here, I’m the founder of Lacroix and we build the Vortex. I was thinking of offering the enclosure, connectors and possible the mast plate/mast/motor mount/ cedrus mast combo so you guys can simply build your battery. Would this be of interest?

We are also working with Appletree to have a custom board with a cutout for the battery. I’ve been testing the proto all summer and it’s amazing. Let me know how many would be interested and I’ll work on pricing. Cheers,
A

4 Likes

I like the concept but I must admit it is a difficult question because we’re not familiar with this enclosure, we don’t know how it is inside, how much it weighs, so we can’t figure out what it represents to make it work with our home made batteries…
What would be the price for the enclosure + connectors only ?

You seem to appreciate the ideas that blossom here :wink:
An estimation of the price ? A picture showing how well the Vortex integrates into this board ?
If you can demonstrate that this board is wingfoil compatible, it would be a serious plus.

3 Likes

The enclsure is made of a solid Aluminum piece, CNC’d to be hollow for the battery. Empty, it weighs around 6lbs. With a 14s8p battery and BMS and ESC, around 28lbs. Is can fit a bigger battery if you want more range, 14s8p fits easily.

Price for enclosure and connectors would be around 1000usd I would say. It’s extremely expensive to make but it’s waterproof and a set-and-forget solution.

The Vortex works on any wing board that has 2 tracks system - we simply use longer screws that go through the battery enclosure and sandwich it against the board. I crashed many times, never had a box rip out.

7 Likes

Just put a lid on the Vortex, and use it as a board :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Can’t fall though, it’ll sink right down to the bottom without at least a 15L board on it :wink:

2 Likes

Had the same idea as it reminds a pistol case.
Wonder whether the positive buoyancy would start with a boogie on top ?

Look like lacroix is out of business. Dang. I heard this from someone would was in the middle of working through some warranty issues.

From Lacroix

“ OFFICIAL STATEMENT - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Today, we have a heartbreaking announcement to make. One we wish we would never have had to write.

Effective immediately, the Lacroix Board Co. is suspending its operations.

The last 12 months have been incredibly challenging and we were never able to climb back on top. Many factors are at play and the 10 consecutive interest rate hikes have created the coup de grâce with our creditors. We tried everything to pull it off - the headwind is simply too strong.

We are in discussion with several companies to keep the Lacroix brand alive. The objective is and always has been to ship every order placed and honor the warranties. However we want to be clear; we don’t know when nor if that will happen. For now, we don’t have any precise timeline for the completion and shipment of the pending orders.

I want to thank Seb, Pedro and the 2 Charles’ that did everything they could with me to try to pull it off. You guys really did the impossible to try to make it work.

We will keep you updated on any material development.

Alex for the Lacroix Board Co.

Lacroix Boards”

1 Like

I can’t lie, I figured something was up when they started trying selling the vortex shells off to the DIY market. It is a pity as they had good products. It will be interesting to see how long the eFoil brands can hang on… Watersports are a bit different to eSkate, but there seems to be some sharks swimming…

1 Like

That was a fair price. Curious to know how many members took advantage of this possibility.

Not many because from his statistics he hasn’t really been to the site since. I asked for the dimensions of the enclosure, but got no response.

5 Likes

I am checking our a vortex for a buddy since they stopped responding to warrenty emails. wasn’t able to charge, but discharge worked OK. I was able to use the overkill solar app to recognize the BMS bluetooth. Looks like one cell is shot… Double checking now to make sure there isn’t a loose wire.

Since I got it cracked open on my desk, let me know if anyone else has questions…

Yeah one set of cells is 0V.

What the thickness of the walls, base and top of the housing?

6-7.5mm wall, but it has a couple slight steps in it

About 3mm top and bottom

1 Like

Wow I though the top/bottom would be at least 5mm, but I guess the rely on the bolts running through and compressing the enclosure. Would be interesting to see if it survives a foil crash.