Lockdown Build - Wales

Just been out for the second ride this morning with a few snags to still sort out.

I fished a 1m antenna extension to the nose of the board Which helped but still not great as signal still drops out.

I think the VESC was overheating as the power reduced dramatically till it was just idling, which was enough to get me back to shore. I’m not sure if my setting are correct after looking at the metr. Data. If someone wouldn’t mind having a look at it and seeing if anything looks odd, that would be appreciated. :+1:

110A motor current
42A battery current
44% duty cycle

doesn’t seem right to me

I’ve ordered a water heat sink anyway so waiting on that to arrive.

Why do you need a water heatsink if you have the Flipsky 200A ?

What is your remote ?
What are your temperature limitations in VescTools ?
Default is 85°C starts to limit, 100°C absolute max.
I usually set mine to 70°C start and 85°C absolute.

It’s a 75/300 :grimacing:
With help from @Giga Noticed I had these settings

I’ve changed to 75 start and 90 end

See how I get on this afternoon

Remote is shittech I mean Maytech v2

1 Like

Actually Maytech made a pretty great emote. Only the waterproofing resin sucks. But if you change it, the remote works perfectly and the cruise control + different settings screened on the remote makes it a great product IMO.

If your ESC is 75/300, I am a bit supprised to see such high temperature. My Vesc 200A without any cooling is getting up to 55°C

I’m with you, I think it’s odd also. I reckon it’s a settings issue.

110A motor current
42A battery current
Yet only 44% duty cycle

I’ll see how I get on later with the settings tweaked.

Is your VESC set up for 42a battery current? Or did you only go up to that amperage while riding?

Nothing wrong with data for me , erpm duty and amp added up
Temp to close to limit , leave as default , vesc might just stay around 58-60 …

Just check if remote has the correct endpoints …

Running current no reverse ?

Much better run this time! No issues with loss of power. Remote was still pants but fine when on the foil.

The remote is set to duty cycle, do you think current no reverse is the better setting?.

Max temp 72
Average 58
Not showing speed for some reason, and the gps is way off, I’m guessing it must be a signal issue with my phone in the hatch.

Ignore the commentary :man_facepalming:

Unfortunately I managed to ding the board, must of been done in transit as I can’t imagine I’ve done it on the water.
I highly doubt it will be last repair I have to do.

No it was set to 130A motor and 90A Batt, that must of been the max I hit on the run :man_shrugging:t3:.

Is it normal to have the motor and batt current near double or triple, I knew that motor current was always higher but over triple the battery current constantly?.

Duty / current control , I prefer duty as for testing off load rpm is matching the trigger play …

Yes it is normal

Short cut but : motor amp = batt amp / duty ( + 10-20%)
May add up to 3 times on 14s with low duty

How many layers carbon ( and oz) you put on the side of the board ?

Thanks for the explanation :+1:, so what dictates the duty cycle percentage then?.

There’s 2 layers of 200g top and bottom but on that edge is where they overlap so would be 4 there. It’s the 3rd repair I’ve had to do now. None of which the damage occurred whilst actually riding :man_facepalming:

what dictates the duty cycle percentage?

i would say : our need for speed :slight_smile:

1 Like

Alexandre was meaning “duty cycle percentage” = remote throttle position :wink:

1 Like

Little update of my mods. I had a cracking ride today down the Menai Straights and bumped into someone with a lift board which was good to see for the first time and even switched boards and had a little go of it. It was a 5’6" so super easy to get up on, the first thing I noticed was the throttle curve was slightly delayed and super friendly as opposed to mine which just gives you all its power instantly. Which as I’m used to it I kinda prefer as I can give it a quick pull to lift the nose when doing tight turns. Lovely machine though all round and slightly quieter than mine I thought.

So I’ve put the new latches on along with an extra seal which has made a massive difference in keeping it watertight. The antenna extension also arrived which now goes up to the nose of the board, it has helped but it still drops signal all the time. After todays rides the screen on the remote has become all pixilated which would be my 7/8th ride and thats with everything filled with epoxy. Such a crap remote!

I also changed the electrical box for an aluminium one and filled it with corrosion X. Seems to have fixed the overheating issue nicely.I managed to get 2 runs in off one charge today, a 57minute and a 48minute run. looking at the stats theres around 25mins downtime of launching the board, falling off and chin wagging so a total ride time of around 120 mins so I’m pretty happy with that giving me a 19mile journey :call_me_hand:. GPS still seems to be a little off though.

3 Likes

Some before and after pictures of my day today, needless to say I never managed to go foiling :weary::sob:.

I was toying with the idea of doing a second build but now I’ve got no choice :man_facepalming:

What the f*** happend?

Poop! Wtf was wrong with your battery pack?

Never mix golf with efoiling.

1 Like

Holyy f**k what happened? Battery pack?

Parked up to go to work and a couple hours in someone shouts your van is on fire, :man_shrugging:my guess would be battery but I just don’t understand how! charged up and balanced fine yesterday.

I reckon the battery saw golf clubs and thought: Time to burn them out…

1 Like