New 200A Vesc based Flipsky ESC

Anyone is running this VESC?

I’m trying to, but can’t have it running with my motor so far…

No one running this one and could share experience?

Hi Jasey, did you tried it yet?

I would also be interested to know if anyone has successfully used it, especially with a 12S lipo set up. I am now looking for an alternative now the ARC200 is no longer available.

Hi everyone,

I’m sorry for the delay, but currently I have no time to test the Flipsky VESC. I’ve been building my own foil the past months, but didn’t have enough time to configure everything for an E-Foil Setup. Now I’m away from my home for almost 6 months. I will get back to it once I’m back in Germany, but for now I’m sorry I cannot provide any interesting news for you.
All I can say is that in general it looks very much like a VESC 6 and connecting to the VESC Tool just like one. Performance-wise , obviously, I cannot say anything as I haven’t tried it yet.
I’m still very confident it will work well though. Heating should not be a problem if you use a water-cooled heatsink. I’m not an expert when it comes to Electrical Engineering, so I can’t break down the ESC Design and if the Capacitors and components are of good quality or not. So when I finally find the time to test it, it will be more like a functionality test, not a scientific test :wink:

1 Like

Good news

I had one for testing with my Setup

Even 180A seem to be no problem.

The 200A rated VESC clones we tested could not even measure 200A. It’s not all about FET capabilities. Without a perfect thermal design and the capabilities to measure the currents preciseley such ESCs can’t meet the rating they are advertized at.
Continous means 200A motor and 200A battery current for 30 mins.
At full duty cycle 200 motor amps!

1 Like

Sorry to say, that i am too stupid to understand how everything works, but:
Original Vesc six+ and 120A Motorcurrent Limit there are about 60A Batterycurrent at static thrust test with 80100.
Same Motor, Flipsky 200A Vesc, 120A Motorcurrent i get same Batterycurrent (60A)
Pushing the Motorcurrent to 180A, i get 90A Batterycurrent and much higher rpm.
Maybe 180A cant be measured, maybe the Logs lie, i dont know. Maybe everything will explode. As i said, i dont understand how it works.
But it seems to work.

And serious, nobody needs 200A Continous 30min. That would be at least 100Ah or 12s33p. :exploding_head:

Yes! Suppliers should adhere to a realistic standard when rating their designs. There should be a professional certification standard that can be stamped and recorded. International toy-motor-driver commission.

2 Likes

It depends on duty cycle. At 50% duty cycle, (half the possible load), 60 Batt Amps can deliver 120 Motor Amps. That’s because you run the motor at half the voltage.
Example:
Batt side: 50V battery X 60 A = 3000W
Motor side: 25V motor X 120A = 3000W
Both sides always equal.

At 100% duty cycle : Motor Amps = Batt Amps.

If you want max power from your system, Batt Amps need to be set as high as Motor Amps.
Otherwise the VESC Firmware will gradually depower the system to protect your battery from overdrain. You will get good startup power, but you loose the power with more speed quickly.
For a Hydrofoil you need good startup power to get you out of the water at a certain Speed X.
If Batt Amps are set too low, you loose power to quickly and struggle to get to speed.

If you want to test your ESC you need to run the FOC open loop command at full Amps and little RPM. Then you look at the temperature rise and see how fast it climbs.

2 Likes

I have seen this on Video, but didnt understand how he did.
Ist it possible to do this via commandline in Android App?
I would test, If someone tells me how :wink:

You can list all commands via the “help” command. There are also three dot’s next to send. That lists some options

foc_openloop [200A] [50]

You can also use your phone as a bridge to the VESC if you want to run the desktop VESC -Tool and do not want to use a cable. Developer >> TCP bridge. Computer and Phone need to be on the same WiFi network.

1 Like

Hmm, 200A, 40V, 8kW? I’ll fry my motor?
I guess the 50 is erpm? I’ll need to go for at least 600, so my motor spins a bit and gets cooled better

50 erpm : 7rpm : 0.05v , 10w ? (heat) on the motor ? Motor tested in the water …

Ah ok, so the current ist circleing around Motor and Vesc with low voltage…

Yes something like that , maybe the Ri of the motor needs to be used to calculate heat ? P=rI2 so more like 600w… don’t know, never done it

The motor needs cooling. You will burn all the energy in the motor. We either take big motors or a motor submerged in water.

Stupid 80100 makes trouble with starting in openloop. I guess i have to try and tweak some settings, and i guess its the same issue, like @superlefax has.
Anyway, finally i could manage to run the Motor in low rpm and high current. 190A was max, was i tried. Lucky me, no smoke.
Limited to 180A, cooling was on, it took about 50sec, until VESC reached 75° (i lowered temp cutoff) and limited current.
The current has settled at 155 amps.
Conclusion: 200A Continous: Impossible. (as long you dont cool with liquid Nitrogene :joy:)
155A Continous is possible, short peaks with 190A too.
With no cooling 75A continous was possible. One day during riding my cooling failed, and it was still possible to ride. But it was no fun. To restart, i had to suck water through my cooling, to cool the vesc for necessary current to get on foiling :joy:

Overall: I only need 120A to get on foil, 60-90A for normal cruising/riding.
For me, this vesc works fine with cooling. And how this works, i dont bother any more. Motorcurrent Limit to 150A and i got plenty of spare punch

3 Likes

Last year I did some test with 30w Peltier cell and classic esc water cooling plate , I was able to keep the water freezed on top easily , I could fit 4 smalls cells in série (48v )and 2 water cooling on a vesc 6 size :smile::wink:

Thank you for testing ! Great results !