okpTow - Jatem's style

thanks brother; floaters are the very first solution that came to my mine. I’ll go first for the side float. It’s an easy and adjustable fit using two carbon 14mm tubes and attachement directly on the USBOX rails. I’l also try to move the cable below the board and that will help for sure in the board going nose up high.

I’m going for 60cm carbon tubes.

@Foilguy that would be a good idea !!!

1 Like

Your statement that two motors are heavier than one has disappeared somewhere. The weight of one FS65161 is 3 kilograms, the weight of two 6384 is 1.9 kilograms. Maintenance - pull off the rotor, spray corrosion X. Service 65161 - unscrew 6 screws, remove the seal at the risk of damaging the o-ring, replace the rusty bearing)

1 Like

How are you finding the dual motor build?

The assembly is very simple. The most difficult part was replacing the bullets in the quick-release connectors.

1 Like

here we go. If it works, I’ll need to secure the tubes. the tighteners are 15mm and my tube is 14mm… I added some rubber but not sure it will do the deal. Maybe a 3D printed part to mind the gap would work but it will have to be chirurgical… 1mm thickness (max)

1 Like

An interesting solution, of the minuses is a significant increase in size. I planned on my first tow boogie to make something like a wing on a mast with blades directed at different angles.

A double rail on the board bottom to find the ideal position for the motor…

1 Like

Interesting concept but not sure I would want to be trying to ride that with the mast all the way forward!!

1 Like

:wink: needs to be tested but a hand width long mast changes the dynamic balance of the board

Hey Cedric - have you got a link for the compression fittings that you have used? Thanks!

It’s in post 46 of this thread

1 Like

Sorry - I must have missed that! Cheers.

Here’s a link for the same thing on AliExpress if anyone is looking.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPXetm4

2 Likes

@okp, if a dog can do it without floating devices, we can do it :wink:

1 Like

I’ve been pretty busy at work, not so much time to work on the tow.

few updates/highlights/feedbacks:

• the pelican case works very well to keep water outside
  • I’m going to had some weight on the nose to avoid the tow going nose up. I plan to start with 2/4/6kg. If that works I’ll see if I dig the lead into the nose or just add a belt and put the weight on the belt
  • I’m also going to add a 25mm aluminum tube like @Jatem did to benefit from the lever effect and also to channel the cable. I have two USBOX that I can use… but I need to have the cable escaping the board by the middle. Not sure about the length of the tube.
  • I got some weird behaviors where the controller was delivering power and then stopping. very weird. Maybe it’s a RPM thing? don’t know yet.

I can also install two footstrap nylon holders and epoxy two of them in the middle of the two USBOX and attach the tube to them (takes more time) but avoid to have the two 5mm plates, additional screws etc… like this

I have had they same thing where the motor gives full power/ then suddenly stops, only during deep water starts pulling the full 6kW.

A while back during assembly my phase cables were damaged and I put heat shrink over them with glue and grease. I think it may have been shorting out at high current during full power.

I haven’t disassembled to confirm yet, but will let you know if it was the cause. Nothing else with my set up changed.

1 Like

thanks @Strongarm

The Flipsky website recommends 16380 as max RPM. Default VESC is way bigger. I’m on 14S

Which one do you got for ?

works :wink:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CsQaiXJqU5Q/

6 Likes

That is brilliant. Congratulations. All the time and hard work paid off :grin:

thanks brother. It works fine but I’m going to optimize it a little bit more. personal taste :wink:

it’s a little more work but that will worth. I’m going to remove the bulky floaty nose part that was not so useful.

more efficient battery placement and more space on the nose.

and yes, it’s a mess

setting a good rounded in shape pattern with plastic warp and filled with high density foam

the weight purpose is to keep the foam flat while it dries

I’m going to put some 5mm airex sheet to have a super strong extended base.

Should be ready in the next days.

Keep you posted!

7 Likes

man !
that’ a lot of work
you will give birth to the perfect tow boogey