okpTow - Jatem's style

got it. I was thinking of using power gel to isolate the box connections knowing that ultimately I just need PPM & TX/RX.

2 Likes

big move today. ESC/Motor are setup and working. Now tuning the settings. Any recommendations.

I’m running P42 on 14S8P so 250A battery max is fine. For the motor, I went to 150A max. It can handle 200A peak.

moving ahead with the waterproofing of the receiver and VESC connectivity to the remote.

I also added some EVA pad to make sure the case stay strongly attached.

5 Likes

hello guys, so we can consider that we are never been so close to the real water testing. I’ll do it in the next days. I went for a 10 meters cord to start with.

everything is well secured.

Wish me luck and I hope this thread will be helpful.

11 Likes

charging.

5 Likes

I’ll try to maiden it tomorrow. In the meanwhile, printing some 1.5° risers that I can put on the field to see the impact on the ride.

3 Likes

More info on your dock board and pump setup please. Custom board? Looks short. 130 cm?

1 Like

of course it’s custom. you have a complete thread build here from scratch.

Took the opportunity to launch a 45L surf foil board to complement my existing 35L surf foil

Sorry. Maybe we are lost in translation.

I mean this board and setup:

Cheers! Nice tow boogie build!

Maiden today. I’ve added the angle riser… but wrong position. I’ll try it again next time. This thing is powerful !

13 Likes

@okp

Happy to hear that you got things in the water today. Congrats!!

I’m eager to water tank test my motor which is the same as yours and from what I can tell from the very short dry spins on the bench I did I share your opinion on its lots of motor!!

1 Like

Did you have a successful tow? Last year I spent a lot of time making the body of the board. As a result, nothing happened due to the large torque and the obstruction of the board to the starboard side. So this year I focused on motors)

1 Like

That’s awesome - are they twin 6384 outrunners?

awesome OKP !!!
good luck for the first water real life tests !!!

Yes, these are cheap 120 kV motors and two BDLC 200A controllers.

excellent brother !

so I did the maiden; although I’ve put the motor very much in the middle of the board… I failed for two reasons:

1. I put the angle riser the wrong side… which made the tow… act like a speed boat !!! /me stupid.
  2. the 1) item does not help at all to counter the torque effect from the motor.

I’m going to add two floating parts like a “catamaran” on the rear of the board. They will be custom made and I’ll use two US BOX (one on each part) so I can move the floaters freely and ultimately adjust the behavior. a 14mm carbon tube will be attached on the USBOXes that are located on my board.

When it’s cured, I’ll shape them and then epoxy / CF the floater to make them rock solid.

I got four of these devices. Good thing is that they are M6 so it will be a direct fit on the USBOXes!

1 Like

I assume the board is pushing the nose up high? Two reasons for this:

• the tow rope is in the incorrect place. It acts as a pivot point and should come from under the board instead. Look at FR’s tow motor design.
  • The prop is also too far back. That’s where the push is coming from.

exactly. I’m going to add a floater to counter the torque.

quick & dirty, no vacuum this time :wink:

I think you should install can holders in the outriggers that are water cooled for post ride refreshment!! :grinning:

2 Likes

Amusing to see the floaters. I tried a side float to resist torque on my very first build with a small youth boogie board, but it wasn’t a solution. Having a side float stops it from tracking straight, and it’s fragile/bulky/awkward. A skinny board makes for a tippy upside down tow boogie.

3 Likes