Takuma efoil mods

I thought it was in outrunner in oil for the takuma , it is probably noisy because it is not running with the best esc ( no foc )

For me I would be hard to make it better and without changing , motor , mast mount , prop , esc, remote, … running new wires in the mast , watertight everything …

I will say run it hard , practice , sell it and built your as you want and need with the knowledge of riding Efoil

Thanks @Jezza, I wrote to @Avante, hopefully, they will respond with more information.

Exactly, after reading more information on this forum I’m very confident Takuma efoil is a fantastic entry level efoil, perfect for anyone who is not a very experienced foilist and don’t have much time to play with electronics.

Hopefully @Avante could comment more, but based on the size and noise I think it has a gearbox inside.

Do you have a vidéo with sound so that we can hear the noise and compare ?
Changing the motor only is impossible if you don’t have access to Takuma’s ESC.
You need to “pair” the motor with the ESC and this needs to be don e via software. No Software no pairing.
For the noise, I have a direct drive efoil and it is abolutely quiet.
When on foil, you can only hear a really small sound and mostly water flying off the mast.

I’ll try to make some video.

That’s a tricky part. The ESC is inside the waterproof unit together with remote control receiver etc. So if I open it I’m pretty sure that voids the warranty. So I think it would make sense to open it only if we know the ESC model ahead and there is a direct motor available that will match the ESC.

As far as I know, nobody knows Takuma’s ESC brand.
And for sure openning the waterproof box will void the waranty.

As discussed already, I think it is nearly impossible to “mod” the Takuma.
Even if you find the proper ESC, they could have installed a custom firmware, meaning you won’t be able to change the motor parameters.

Either you are happy enough with this product or buy another more expensive one, or go the DIY way.
Going DIY is challenging, takes hundred hours of reading, thinking, drawing and making, but it is the most rewarding IMO.

Thanks @Thom, I’m more happy with Takuma with each post I read :smiley:

I don’t have that much time for DIY now, maybe next winter. Just wondering - does custom DIY efoils beat the Lift, Flite or other expensive efoils in terms of performance? I undestand that if you are lucky enough you get a much cheaper setup than expensive efoils, however if the money is not a question does it make sense to go DIY?

I donn’t think so.
Lift and Flite, the 2 only “high end” products available today are really great.
Flite: Best board out there by far IMO. I read it is quite noisy due to gear drive.
It has an amazing remote with cruise control. As per Takuma I believe. Really powerfull, some hit 50+ kph.
Same for fliteboard. I also read it is quiter than Fliteboard.

If you want a direct drive unit ready to ride : https://pwrfoil.com/fr/efoil/599-e-foil-pwrfoil-board-5-1-rigide-pro-version-redwoodpaddle.html. 6000€
It is a french brand. They use a Flipsky/maytech-like motor. It is quiet and efficient.
They also have the Maytech v2 remote that has cruise control (I have the same remote and it is great !)
I have seen the board, it is comparable to what takuma offers.

My first geared set up was 40mm in diameter
Outrunner and geared make noise , even my direct FR makes noise under Foc drive , a lot less but same »kind « of noise

Small : geared like cabratech
Medium size : direct
Big ( +80mm ) : outrunner

My point of view …

We managed to simulate a direct drive thin motor of 60mm diameter (with housing). 4kw continuous and up to 9Nm capable but the motor would be really long, at least 200mm with housing, which isn’t that great I think.
If lenght is no problem, I think we can even make a direct drive motor of 60mm or even 55mm dia.

According to the Avante website “Our powerful and Eco-Friendly brush-less motor has been developed with the finest materials and German gearing”.

Hello Takuma,
you have some wrong assumptions there… The etakuma motor is on of most powerful, I saw sofar …and I know a guy who did a mod on the propeller and this thing got quiet like a baby…and faster as well… With the maytec direct drive motor you will never get that much power…

So don`t touch this good working takuma and maybe just mount this other prop and maybe another foil to fly high speed

Do you have a 3D file of this “new propeller” ?

No its not me, send me your mail then I will forward it to him. he said something that it is not printed but available for about 120€

Thanks, but I just read the parameters on the labels. Based on that I don’t think that Takuma motor ir anywhere close to the “one of the most powerful”. However it doesn’t change the fact that Takuma efoil is a really fantastic foil at that price range.

That’s my plan now. It would really great to try that “new prop” and faster wings may help to increase top speed. I tried to ride without duct and the improvement was great. So such small mods is what I’m going to try with my Takuma. Motor, ESC etc. will be the subject of the other DIY build.

I’m confused… is that a picture from the Takuma e-foil mast? And is that connector with the overmolded bullets from the Takuma?

This doesn’t look right… ?
Is that really the label from the takuma battery?

The battery manufacturer details (possible source):
Omnispecial Technology Co., Ltd

Address: No. 1 Xiaoqian Road, Dazhou, Qiaotou Town, Dongguan, Guangdong, China

Takuma is a leading brand.

But their battery has output power measured in Wh.
The label is peeling off.
I would have expected a bit more info on the label.

The Omnispecial label looks cheap and says 35A. So it’s 1.5kW power battery.
But it can do 50km/h?
With an 80100 nacelle?
And why would Takuma allow Omnispecial to keep their name on the battery? I would have expected it would be rebranded but maybe not.

How much does the Takuma cost? Because this looks too cheap.