Uk first efoil build - 65161 powered

I have been getting final parts together and am in need of some advice before taking a wrong turn on motor position to the mast to allow for the most appropriate prop diameter.

I see a lot of people are stearing clear of the flipsky prop (i have bought one with the motor) and opting for a smaller diameter prop. Should I fit the motor high enough to enable the larger 7 1/4 prop or equivilant options or drop it closer to the foil for a smaller alternative?

So far I have bought the following;
120kv 65161 motor
flipsky 75200 esc
flipskyvx3 remote
gong foil
200A smart ant bms

I was looking to build a battery from 21700 Molycel P42A. initially looking at 13s10p configuration. Is this sufficient?
Board wise I was looking to build a board from EPS over the next few weeks.

Any advice on the above would be greatly recieved and any pointers or links that may help me avoid too many costly mistakes

Thanks Chris

1 Like

It’s better to have more alternatives! Attach it under this screw, you can always put a smaller diameter. And 2 cm is not a big difference! But this is my opinion!

I have a 21700 13s10p!More than an hour’s ride on the wing and 20 km of mileage! Your esc can run up to 16s!So you can also collect 14s!There will be more power! It’s up to you!

1 Like

Hi Chris

I am in the early stages of my first build using the same components as you except a different esc.

I have opted initially to use the flipsky prop but cut down to 140mm, did some wet testing in fresh water and it pulls 135 amps at full power, initially I tried cutting it to 150mm but the amps were over 150 amps and at 12s (50v) was over the 6000w rating for the motor.

I’m no expert but you will need to cut down that flipsky 7.25x5 prop otherwise it will overload the system.

Please tell me if I have this wrong though.

Regards
Gareth

1 Like

I think the ideal is to place it as low as possible, but in such a way that it can accommodate not only a 140 mm diameter propeller, but also a 150 mm diameter propeller sometime in the future. For example, the Flite propeller is about 143 mm (https://foil.zone/uploads/default/original/3X/f/9/f9681b5e85d3654c87a43320bd710a3900a2302f.png), the top of the line propeller with two blades could be 150 mm.

1 Like

Thanks all, thats a great help.
I will look to put the motor centerline around 80mm up from the fuselage and start with the turned down 140mm flipsky.
Battery cells and eps foam blocks now ordered, its getting to the serious bit…

This is how I modified my prop. First I made a balancing adaptor which was also used to mount the prop in the lathe, then I put a scribe in the tool post and rotated the Prop by hand and marked an accurate line. I then just cut the tips off with a saw and belt sanded to the line and rounded the corners.

1 Like

Is there a reason you didnt use the lathe to turn the prop down?

I just didn’t want the cutting tool to catch and bend the blades with the intermittent cutting action,

It turned out nice, I also filled the area where the numbers are stamped and profiled the blade root to blend it in.

5 Likes

The prop looks great, I will look to try to replicate it.
Mast and foot machining for wiring and water feed now completed, making the hot wire cutter this weekend ready for some board shaping next week.

After getting some ply hot wire cutting profiles cnc cut, and building a series of hot wire cutters I had a good days board shaping and spreading polystyrene shavings around the neighbourhood. Left to do, get another template made for routing out the lip around the board and make an aluminium mount plate to bond into the base.

What is the best approach? long beams to spread the load further through the board or a wide tapped plate?
I had been considering rebating 2 lengths of around 1m long unequal angle (circa 1 3/4 x 1 x 1/8) then weld or bond some thicker blocks to tap into. Resin the angles in and glass over the top with a thick layer of cloth before wrapping the whole board in cloth and resin?

2 Likes

Nice , the way I see that , wide plated mount like I did if you can hold top and bottom together
Open case , better with long mount to spread load ( already done on forum , work nice )

Board reinforced with aluminium angle, getting close to encapsulating it. Before starting the grp stage, what do i need to do for receiver aerials etc.
I have the flipsky v3 remote with 1m aerial, what is the best setup for receiver can i leave the receiver in a plastic box, do i just rebate the front of the board for the antenna? I assume the gps module sits on the receiver, can the GPS work from inside the compartment?
Thanks Chris

1 Like

Battery build is going well, I have opted for 16mm2 cable which will hopefully turn up next week.
I have also started the grp lay up, underside layers are done and vacuumed, I have fitted all the reinforcement blocks and strips on the top face for lifting handles and hinges, hope to get some fiberglass layed in over the weekend.
I initially was looking to add colour to the resin but after some trials felt it may look patchy.

With peel ply removed, I have a textured finish, what is my best next step?

1. abrade and apply a few hot coats of resin before spraying and clear laquer.
  2. abrade and prime and paint straight away without the hot coats

or is there any other option or mix of the above, I have used a 2 part epoxy resin and was looking to spray with an acrylic paint.

4 Likes

So…after some time prepping the board for paint the final result was great, I am not taking up car body spraying but was really pleased with the result. a few long nights fitting it up and got it into the water today. The board buoyancy was good, the hatch seal worked first time which was a real relief! So now to getting on the foil, the most i could achieve was around 5mph and the motor is obviously not being allowed to reach max output
Ideally I need some vesc tool and esc help. Can anyone direct me to a good baseline setting?
And how do I log ESC data when on the water not connected to a PC?

IMG_20211121_161211|666x500

4 Likes

4 Likes

There are several options for data logging including Metr Pro which is quite popular among builders here. :slight_smile: Just connect it to ESC and you will be able to log data, here is an example from a recent thread with @Manufoil build.

I am selling the modules together with @hexakopter (https://shop.metr.at) so if you have any questions about data logging, feel free to ask!

Search: 2 results found for "metr pro" – Nexus Boards our distributor in UK, they might have some modules left.

3 Likes

+1 on Metr, not cheap with tax+shipping included, but the great software support make it so worth it!
Miss the analysis part now that I transitioned to Fliteboard. Any CAN piggyback solution for commercial systems in the works? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Unfortunately not at the moment. Does Fliteboard have CAN bus? I guess they are using proprietary ESC and do not offer external devices integration, but maybe I am wrong?

Do they offer an app and if so, what can you do there?

1 Like

can someone review my settings please, I seem to have around 5500rpm (measured mechanically) the motor sounds ok in free air, hoping to get it in the water again at the weekend but would appreciate any pointers.

1 Like