Valhalla’s Tow Boogie & eBuild

Thanks Tom! I’m on it!

Some people had issues with VESC immersed in corrosionX?

Corrosion x would be incompatible with silicone cables, better to use mineral oil if I understand correctly

3 Likes

Had a question about conformal coating (nasty stuff!). Do I coat the outside of all wires with it? I’ve noticed cracking and peeling when I put it on the 8awg wire I used to solder my VESC wires.
How about the phase wires coming out of the Flipsky 65161 motor? When I read Flightjunkies post I came away with the impression that it is best to coat most surfaces.
Cheers!

Hi, I think we met at the LAFC event this year, anyway I am on the path to making a tow boogie.
I am going to use a cloud 9 aluminum mast. Any chance you could share the step, rhino or fusion files?
I could redraw from the stl, just trying to save some time.
Thanks Kent

1 Like

I think I have an stl of the older mountposted on thingiverse. You would have to convert it before editing. Honestly you can use any of the pre posted models people have made and do the same. My earlier version may mount wasn’t that great.

Finally got my Tow Boogie build put together. Passed the VESC tool experiments but what a feeling when I paired the remote and the motor actually worked!

Actually wanted to ask Tom if he has any updates on tie down straps or tow rope. I ordered the ones from your spreadsheet but I noticed you had a ratchet strap on version 2 correct?

Thanks for the help I may actually be using this before my Foildrive ever gets delivered -going on week #4

2 Likes

Yeah so no issues with tow rope. For straps I’m using these from Amazon.

Battery Box Hold-Down Strap Tie Down Strap for Gas Fuel Heavy Duty Battery Box Replament Tie Down Straps Kit Anti-UV Strap with Stainless Steel Cam Buckle, Stainless Steel Deck Loop Mounts, SS Screws Sorry! Something went wrong!

I connect the loop directly to the board with through bolts. On the bottom side are small aluminum plates to hold bolts.

My dad and I are as I type this building one.
Any minute now and we will cut the needed hole for the mast to go through the bodyboard.
We are thinking about heating up the plate to make it “melt” the needed hole… Not sure if this will work.
Fingers crossed.

A sharp craft blade cuts through the boogie board foam easily enough.

2 Likes

Done.
Mast will be cut down, and we might move it forward on the 2nd board.

3 Likes

What’s your remote Motor Poles setting? My (possibly wrong) understanding based on the Flipsky 65161 motor specs and the Maytech remote specs it should be 3 (pairs) but it seem to be working better with 6.

Its six. I now have to add characters for the 20 character minimum.

Per Flipsky: " * The number of pole: 6(please write 3 pairs when do setup)"
Per Maytech: “Be sure to note that the “Poles” here are actually Pole Pairs!”
Maybe something is lost in translation…

So, hi Tom, I’ve got a friend who followed your build down in SoCal; no wind for 4 months or so, so I’m insanely excited about this project. I found the google sheet / parts list. Is there more of a step by step instruction guide somewhere, or is it basically just “figure it out”? My DIY skills are pretty rudimentary, but I’m willing to step up to the task at hand! Thanks for any and all help!

1 Like

I guess some one re formatted the parts list because I don’t remember it looking organized. I’ll see what I can do in regards to a diy instruction. I’ve since changed my board incrementally so I’ll post my latest version as well.

2 Likes

@prof we are three friends who are very interested in building a tow boogie each during this winter. I studied electrical engineering at university and working as a software engineer, and one of the friends is mechanical engineer and the other another software developer. I would be great if we could share experience and efforts in a thread here.

OMG, that would be amazing. I honestly feel equal parts gung ho and overwhelmed; I’ve never really taken on more than building stuff out of wood / plastic. But this guy in the wing community here shreds ridiculously on his tow boogie, and I’d probably use it every day with no wind or waves.

Amazing, thank you so much! As soon as you do, I think I’ll go ahead an order parts. There might be enough interest that we could hit you up with some financial incentive too; kind of a maker / mentor thing. I’m personally in SoCal too, and I’m completely free in January, so maybe even an in person thing. Just brainstorming.

Finally got my Tow Boogie together and have had a few fun times. Today I guess I put the two batteries in a different position when I put them in the waterproof case. I couldn’t get up on foil without instant pulling to the right and then flipping over.
I remember Tom having the same problem in one of his videos. Putting the box in a different position solved the problem correct? I tried that and still had the same problem.
Any other possible reasons for pulling to one side so much besides position of the waterproof case?
It seems so simple but it keeps making my sessions a bit frustrating.
Thanks

1 Like