VESC setting for FR motor

Yep tried that, couldn’t get past 10kmh maxing out a motor amp at 200A. You can see the attempt during the first 3min before I changed wing.
On my first build I was foiling with the 61150 120kv at 12s with the Gong allvator kite 700cm2 the board is 144cm long though and plane easily.

Thats really weird!

Even without a wing you should be able to get the board onto the plane. Is you small board flat or does it have lots of rocker?

There are simple online tools to calculate the resistance difference for particular metals at certain temperature. I tried it and got following values

Copper
20°C 23.3 mOhms (VESC detection)
50°C 26.0 mOhms (calculated)
60°C. 26.9 mOhms (calculate)

This is around 15% difference for dT of 40°C. Sound significant

But as mentioned, I also have a harder time now to start and the setup is same. Just some tweaking with the flux and lack of torque.

Flat on the first 80cm then a fair bit of rocker (9cm)

I’m gona try again with the seal 300A. On the Metr app log you can see I max out at 200A motor current while the battery current stay under 80A. if I understand correctly this is the sign the motor can’t increase rpm something might still be off in my vesc setting.

I do not see any rocker there. In the front you call it scoop, and in the rear rocker. Rocker gives better maneuverability, but also increases power you need to get on plane.

nose rocker if you prefer. http://www.carbonartwindsurf.com/design/boardology/

Correct on your log 8km/h 200A 22000erpm , vesc limite max amp motor , you get out : 16km/h ± same rpm , motor amp down to 150A , erpm and speed increase as duty …

You can allow more amp on motor , I think it s better a pic at 250A rather than 10s at 200A at 1/3 rpm

And to keep lower max amp at the motor for top speed , use max battery amp or limit erpm at 46000(?)

Well in Germany we called it scoop for the nose and rocker for the tail.

Will give it a go and also try the seal 300A. Something must be off, they can tow another foiler on the Lift, foil at 2 people on a board ect I was expecing more torque.

You can try with 5inch prop.

They have a 200-250 amp fuse for the battery ? So motor setting is maybe higher … if there is a motor Max setting…

actually I think the fuse is 300A…

That shape should be Ok for planning without excessive drag before liftof

My board is about the same size (~4’6" and 80-85L). To use the happy foil, I have to start of my stomach, start moving, go on my knees pretty much all the way on front of the board (like titanic :smiley: ) Then bump up the throttle to plane, then get up on board. If I have my weight too far back when I bump the throttle it extremely high current pushes through the water without getting on plane (like an airplane wing is stuck in a stall) , even if I try and move my weight forward at that point. I’ve caused my ESC to thermal throttle the first couple times I was trying that wing.

With my big slingshot wings on the A setting, they foil is farther back and I don’t have that same issue. Wing right under the mast.

Here is a video of my struggling to figure it out on the happy foil early this summer :smiley: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Rjp2RXwbxPotdepe8 At 0:15 I’m too far back, at 0:20 that is the right spot.

I actually like that wing a lot, really fast and can toss your weight around a lot more then the big slingshot wing.

You should try the tictac board from @superlefax. Starting with that on your stomach is more like figurehead and not titanic. You literally have your upper body hanging over the front of the board while starting. It’s crazy but funny. It’s like 120cm I think

images

I think one day David said ( flying rodeo )

« you don’t want me to design a prop that would burn your motor »

So I guess at some point his motor and the 65161 will not burn with that prop, especially for pics amp on start , to run it full power all time we already need a decent battery

May be @Flightjunkie can share is vesc settings used for top speed ?

This is my last and cleanest log from heifi esc no limits , smooth take off
Max power used was : 8400w

If you look at your log for take off either your battery amp x V or the motor amp x ( erpm /8 / 130kv ) you end up around 4500w
The FR can take more so 250A might be the setting needed to go past this 22000erpm and get some speed with your new board

That comment from David was in my build. I was kind of disappointed with the top speed of his new 6" prop with the new Flipsky motor (back in the days the 100kv was the only option). That was with 12S, also the common pack size. Nowadays I am running an 8" on this 100kv motor without any concerns. It could even handle 8.5" I guess.

By the way,in my build there is also a picture of a burned 65161 motor. It was used with a ridiculous prop with a regular esc. It burned on start. So yes, the motor can indeed burn if you do not have any limits