Volker’s Build - 80100 18650-30Q

It’s going to be pretty hard hold a remote and foil wing, and then use your arms to stand up. The complexity of the wing starts comes from wanting to start standing up, but wanting a board as small as possible (i.e. the board will have a low buoyancy). No form of assistance can really help with this.
An automatic detector will come with a bunch of other complications, like how much power does it need, this won’t be constant. What happens if the touchdown is simply a loss of balance and then the motor kicks in and makes it even worse.

weight and power needed

When i ride alone 72kg + 23kg board i need about 1800W
Together with my son (additional 22 kg) i need at least 2600W for foiling

So 23% more weight --> 45% more Power needed :astonished:

2 Likes

What is your wing ?
We found that 1200cm wing is really hard when rider is 90kg+ It needs a lot more speed

Its René’s RL efoil optimized foil

Do you have a log to know the foiling speed needed for 2 ?
Also do you compensate by titling the nose up?

No logs for speed yet, sorry. But you are right. Together we need more speed to get and stay on Foil

Thats very interesting! It makes though as I weigh ±90kg and find that I use around 2500W to foil at a comfortable speed.

I actually thought the same to try to keep the board more leveled while planning… but then when you’re flying, it would add extra drag (more frontal area).
As you spend more time flying than planning, it’s better to optimize the first …
You can play with the backwing to get your board leveled in flight though…

I tried to shim the backwing, first 2mm, then 4mm down at the backend, without any noticable changes in flying behaviour!?

That’s strange, that’s how all manufacturers advise to change the behavior of a foil…
especially that your back wing is pretty big…

Yeah, strange. Not what i expected.
Maybe i have to shim more, or even have to turn the Backwing upsidedown. The top surface is quite flat, the side faceing downwards is more Like Aerodynamik Airplane profile.
Maybe even a shim with 4mm wasnt enough to lower the downforce of the backwing?

yes, either upside down or shimming the front to reduce down force…

guys you can as well move the mast closer to the front wing (so closer to CL), makes riding a bit easier and you need less pressure on the front wing, you can as well reduce negative pitch (or angle the back wing a bit more upwards…) this will make system more agil and reduce drag by about 10%

1 Like

I had my Phone with me
My 80100 results so far:
20 km/h 1.7kW
21 km/h 1.8kW (nice stable Speed total 95kg)
25 km/h 2.5kW
30 km/h 3.6kW

2 Likes

Hi V_S,

Any chance we get your logged RPM, A, V for those values ?

Also, what prop did you used for those values ? I guess the above propeller with +10% pitch and shaved 140mm ? Did you tried with the +20% pitch ?

Are you hitting the stated 30km/h at full throttle ?

21 kmh 47,5V 37-38A 56% throttle should be 1600rpm.
30 kmh at 75% throttle 46,5V 80A
Values with 3 Blade 140mm +10% Pitch

The +20 works too, needs more Power to get planing, and maybe just a bit less Power during foiling.
But: +20 is not that responsive on throttle, does not have so much thrust and seems to have more slip. Only my feeling. It is not so responsive like the +10.
Original pitch is very responsive, has plenty of thrust, but needs higher rpm/throttle and more power for foiling. About 2kW for 21kmh

1 Like

Is there anyone who has better values with the 80100 outrunner?

Thanks for your time, I appreciate it :slight_smile:

I’m planning to build my own directdrive 80100 / 130kv system. Asked APS for the motor and still waiting for his answer.

Was asking to know which prop suits best for the motor. Also, I would like to test both the 6" & 7" props from FR on this setup. Waiting for FR too :smile:

I may be wrong but feel like you can hit 40kmh + on 14S or more with the same setup and adapted prop. Maybe the FR 7" one.
Flying Rodeo has a top speed of 55kmh with his 130kv motor after all (at 5,5 kW I think). I am truly convinced we could accomplish such a performance with the 80100 :sunny:

Don’t forget he probably used a Moses Comet 111 race kitefoil for that, able to reach 35+ knots (65kmph) and he added it was not pleasant at that speed…
FR%20SPEEDY