Waydoo Kickstarter gathered $268K. Is $4K commercial eFoil realistic?

1: It’s not user error as its in an enclosed part of the foil (It’s a series of connectors that are shorting and there’s an image of them on facebook)
2: It’s not random as there are more people experiencing this now.
3: If Waydoo didn’t block non-backers from the group, I don’t see how you can get upset about it. Unless you are the internet police? Or actually have a vested interest and are just pretending to be a backer…

You clearly have a case of ostrich syndrome. There are loads of design faults with the setup and loads of customer service still outstanding. Maybe Waydoo will pull through and fix them, maybe not… But there’s no point in trying to deny what’s actually visibly happening with the product…

1 Like

My only interest is to see them succeed in offering a lower-cost (safe!) entry-level eFoil but most importantly grow the sport and make it more accessible to those who don’t have the ability to build their own (potentially less safe) eFoil or buy one for $10k++

The ignorant masses will ruin it for all of us just like they did with:
-Ebikes (now heavily regulated with power/speed, limited and throttle type restrictions in just about every civilized place)
-Drones and RC aircraft (FAA registration process, etc.)
-Kitesurfing (launch spots are being lost around the globe due to idiots that won’t take lessons and end up in a road or someone’s 3rd floor balcony)

There are too many people that won’t be able to resist riding these too close to bystanders. If they don’t build them and the buy-in is cheap they have way less of a vested interest in the sustainability of the sport. I see it already on busy beaches with people showing up on jet skis weaving through the crowd who can barely operate the thing. (Maybe their first time on a rental?) These types of people are attracted to crowds because they love the attention.

One thing is for sure… if one of these things catches fire like this aboard a boat and either starts a fire in a marina or burns a large enough vessel down for the coast guard to get involved we may see fast and swift regulation.

Companies selling at these basement prices have a duty to ensure they are making something that does not catch fire. This is very different than a bent mast… They need to halt all operations, address this and correct the issue on all existing boards immediately. If they start catching fire like hoverboards did it will be bad for all of us.

I agree with both of you. This isn’t good, but it isn’t the whole picture. There are lots of WFO’s out there currently in use without issue. The problematic ones are the most visible and reported. They are working on getting replacement parts, hopefully they can deliver. Anyone that complains about delays in original shipment doesn’t understand that Waydoo had to quickly ramp up production, especially in a pandemic. I am concerned that quality control suffered because of this but they have an opportunity to make it right.

I do think the front of the fuselage design is poor with a weak spot where the front wing attaches due to the water inlet. I also think they didn’t test the longer mast enough especially with heavier riders. I won’t be letting anyone over 180lbs ride mine. There were a bad batch of leaking remotes, which Waydoo is addressing. Mine doesn’t leak. If I have an issue I’ll be expecting Waydoo to stand behind their product.

By 2021 there should be a few other lower-cost eFoils on the market, including getfoil.com. This will turn up the heat for Waydoo to improve the quality of their product and ensure any warranty claims are fully and quickly addressed.

It’s obvious why Fliteboard and Lift had to over-engineer and over-build their product (with prices to match) to ensure they are reliable and robust. I’ve heard personally about Lift replacing failed parts (remotes, batteries, wings) well after the warranty period expired. That is how you build a brand. Let’s see if Waydoo can weather this - as an owner of one of their eFoils, I hope they can.

1 Like

Hopefully, Waydoo follow-up on their commitment to these owners.

If it’s a reputable company that cares about their customers they would also put out a public statement or product warning to other owners of the issues and how to avoid them even if there’s a chance it’s user errors before anyone gets hurt or destroy their properties. Buyers should have all the facts for an informed purchase if they’re marketing it as a consumer watercraft.

2 Likes

Hi, anyone that received a Waydoo, can you post a pic of the disclaimer stickers that are on the mast, fuselage, battery, propeller, etc…I am interested in studying the warnings prior to purchase. thanks.

Jeezus. You’re a shill if i ever saw one. I just loathe people claiming user errors for failing equipment. Seen plenty of it on endless sphere, always from someone with financial or personal interest behind the alias

I’d actually like to see more proof from that video that user didn’t run the motor out of the water (without cooling). I’m not saying they for surely did, but it’s not conclusive from the footage making the rounds and I’ve only seen one other Waydoo with a burnt out motor while in use (in water), possibly due to hitting something or something getting stuck in the water cooling intake.

If the ESC failed/shorted and sent full power to the motor as soon as battery was connected that could have also caused the fire - not good if so. I’d be curious to know what would happen with a Fliteboard or Lift motor if you ran one full throttle without cooling.

I’m just an early KS backer. I want to see them succeed so there are more commercial eFoil options out there for (much) less than $10k, and additionally so I can buy parts/upgrades for mine in the future.

I’m not encouraging nor recommending people buy a Waydoo right now - I’d wait to see how things shake out with current warranty claims and quality of replacement parts to be received. By the spring we should have a better idea.

If Waydoo doesn’t honour warranty claims or more boards start to have issues, I’ll be the first to call them out. In the meantime, I’ll be riding my WFO.

How many units do you estimate they have delivered so far?

LOL always the user’s fault, never Waydoo’s! He showed his son putting the battery into the board and it immediately started shooting fire, no reasonable person needs more proof than that.

Nothing would happen because they monitor battery and ESC temps and cut power before anything overheats.

Their rep said they’ve shipped 400 but half of those are probably sitting in the box because it’s too cold to ride.

Out of the ones that have been used there are at least:

• 13 broken fuselages
  • 15 bent masts
  • 3 fires
  • So many water-filled boards, broken remotes and defective batteries that I’ve lost count

It sounds like Waydoo’s email response time is somewhere between 1-3 weeks and that’s the only way to reach them for warranty service.

Small wing and 165 lb. rider, fuselage still broke. Waydoo needs to replace them all before someone gets hurt.

I’m new to foiling and this stood out to me. Why are boards going to be an issue? It seems like given their small size they should be easy to cnc/shape? What are the issues?

It’s the only thing that is not readily available. Sure they can be made…but that’s a process. Already you can find plug and play setups but there are very few boards for sale. This will change, but for right now, I believe the board is the “long pole” in the tent.

is there an akushaper type product that can shape and cut out battery boxes for boards in one pass? If so i’m a buyer down here in puerto rico… ryan.macarthur@gmail.com

For 80usd on aliexpress, you can buy a hot knife cutter with agrooving tool that can remove such a foam rectangle in three 9x12cm wide passes.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001293866433.html

Hot knife grooving tool

1 Like

Looks like Waydoo is selling a white label version of their original “Flyer” carbon fiber model. Price is $13,000 including an extra battery.

Will be interesting to uncover if this is actually Waydoo or one of their subcontracted factories spinning off their own hybrid version based on Waydoo’s eFoil designs (and possibly leftover parts…).

Interestingly, it’s a mix of their pre-KS gen1 carbon battery compartment “Flyer” board and gen2 “Flyer One” mast/fuselage (which is hopefully more reinforced than what Waydoo was initially shipping :grimacing:)

At Fliteboard prices good luck to Taylor Boats and whoever is building/selling the “Warp9 XFlight”, extra battery or not.

Yes question is why should one pay double if you can have the real waydoo for half price… By the way their Foam board does not look as sexy as this warp, but it is way better in handling and weight… i think thats why Foam or inflatable is the future…

Waydoo is now being sued by Lift and their latest shipment has been seized by US Customs Agents. Many owners had already been waiting on warranty parts since November. Sounds like another foiling season will be ruined for Waydoo customers thanks to their corner cutting and shady business practices.

https://portal.unifiedpatents.com/litigation/Delaware%20District%20Court/case/1:21-cv-00091

Oh interesting. So MHL (Liftfoil) is shooting against waydoo now with legal action using their illegal patent! Could be very interesting for us DIY if Us courts will acept this “not correct issued Lift Patent”. So just hope waydoo has good laywers in place that will do the job for us all and beat this Lift patent… Helps us all and will bring more brands stepping into the U.S market, bringing the prices down for US customers… Would definately encourage Pwr-foil, mantafoils and other to show up in the USA…
Really curious to see how getfoil will get the next ticket from MHL (Liftfoil) and how they react…
So long, Thanks to waydoo for hopefully killing this “wrong issued” lift patent! :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

The same way Fliteboard do, pay a licensing fee… Waydoo could have done the same and it would have cost them WAY less than a lawsuit.