Alternative ESC with BLHeli32 Firmware 12S 160A

Hi, ESC 12S 160A.
It’s 99$ on Aliexpress:

AliExpress.com Product - 82X34X21mm FLYCOLOR X-Cross HVII 120A 160A 5-12S BLHeli32 Brushless ESC for RC Multirotor X-Class Airplane DIY Parts

FW looks promising, did someone tested it ?

1 Like

I am using a different flycolor esc. But this one should work fine if you add a bigger cooler, or watercooling.
Mine is a FlyDragon V3-150A. I removed the original cooler and placed it on a big aluminum plate which holds my mastplate. Thats all for cooling and it works great.

BLHeli32 firmware seems to be interesting, lot of configs can be ajusted and price is really nice.

Hi all, I use the X Cross ESC 160 A since several weeks, very happy with it.

It’s fitted with one thick heatsink on the battery side and an other thin heatsink on the box wall side I opened to make contact with an outside heatsink glued with 3M 5200.

I kept the original battery cables and I had to weld the motor cable with an angle of 45 degrees to fit in the Foil Drive assist box.

This controller is setup with Blheli firmware, a lot of options are available, I change the setup with a usb dongle connected between my phone BL Heli app and the PWM/GND/PLUS cable. Very quick and easy to do. I use mainly the motor direction, rampup power, acceleration rate, voltage slow down, current limit, temperature cut off. There are a lot of BLheli video on YouTube.

Not possible to read telemetry.

I’m 90kg and use small 40 liters board and medium sized foil and the Flycolor handles the load very well.

5 Likes

The price is only $80.
Yes, the telemetry is not compatible with the remotes.
But it is possible to use this information if you know to write code. The ESC tx output should be connected to micro and then from micro connect for example Bluetooth uart.
Or transform the signal to vesc compatible, or write code for BREmote to read this data.
The fact is that if you can connect the blheli32 to flight controller, then get telemetry through betaflight. So it is possible, but it is small project.

You are probably talking about regular ESC, not BLHELI32?
What do you mean by:

I removed the original cooler and placed it on a big aluminum plate which holds my mastplate.

Could you go in a little more detail on how you mounted the x-cross to the aluminum plate?

Hello,

I didn’t remove any heatsink (because there are 2 ) on this ESC, I just stuck it against an alu plate which replace the plastic meat I removed/cut from the box to open it and stuck it again with thermal paste against the outside heatsink I glued outside my box.

3 heatsinks stuck together with thermal paste in other words:
1 ESC heatsink
1 alu plate for heat transfer
1 outside heatsink/radiator

For me it works very nice, I can efoil until my battery dies.

Cheers

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing!!

Hi @Etiennebzh , thank you for the explanations. Which glue do you use to glue the aluminium plate and the outside heatsink to the plastic box ? How do you make it waterproof ?

I used 3M5200 like many guys here

2 Likes

@Etiennebzh What battery configuration are using eventually?

For the moment, 8S3P but I’ll test 12S2P soon

Just for reference 5200 is designed to be NON removable - 4200 is a better “sealant” and can be removed.

1 Like

Thanks for the info!
I have not found there that 4200FC is better sealant than 5200FC…

I have owned and helped repair multiple sailboats. A common nickname used for 5200 is “devils glue”. There is no way to remove it and/or separate the pieces after it has cured. It has its uses in marine construction for joints that you never want to come apart but from my experience isn’t really more effective than 4200 in keeping water out.

I consider 5200 a glue and 4200 more of a sealant.

1 Like

Thank you. Your experience is invaluable.

I remove the 5200 with a cutter, works super nice.

1 Like

Hello, can you please give a link to the store for baying the USB pc link.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EjvrjfD

1 Like