Anyone have any thoughts on this setup?

You should try without the prop guard to see if you can get some speed. Seems everyone has similar experience.
DId you try to go fast first just on your knees? On my setup you can go really fast on the surface. Other possibilty is the AOA of the wing is negative sucking you down.

Might be a vesc limit is set too low.

180a/200a & 7000w on the motor settings and 200a/250a on the battery. What other settings should I check?

That’ all sounds good so maybe foil related as @windego mentioned.

What size of Fliteboard do you - I forget ?

It didn’t seem to matter if I was on my knees, laying or standing speed stayed between 6-7mph wot. AOA? I had read it was hit or miss on prop guards but wouldn’t think it would rob that much speed as it doesn’t seem to be cavitating.

@Foilguy same board you have. 100L

I will echo @windego and recommend trying without the duct. There was a thread not too long ago where @maninjo was having some similar trouble with his Fliteboard build (though I think he was up on foil, just using way too much current). he reported taking the duct off made a big difference.

Just read through all of the thread and will be removing before next attempt. One thing I noticed with his was the speed is higher than I’m seeing. On my knees only getting about 7mph or 11kmh hold the throttle wide open so it was pulling 100a or more the whole time with that slow speed. He was seeing lower 20s. I put my friends 11yr old on it who probably weighs 75lb wet and it still wasn’t moving that fast. I’m thinking it’s esc settings or at least I hope. I’ll put it in the pool tomorrow and create a log file to attach.

Angle Of Attack AOA

If the foil is angled down (even slightly) when board is in contact with the water you are creating drag. Try shifting your body weight to the rear slightly to see if it helps…

On my rig if I’m laying on the board with my elbows in front of the straps and hammer the throttle the board will sort of wheely.

I’m thinking it’s the duct. IMO they don’t really add much to the safety factor if you are being careful anyway

Not sure but is it possible your stabilizer is upside down?

This is what my Gong X-Over looks like

This is yours

I thought about that yesteday but its countersunk on one side so the bolts would only work one direction. Unless they drilled it wrong? Heres the stock image so it appears to be correct. @Myndset used the same setup and his is the same as well.

Untitled

1 Like

While you are going through VESC settings, did you watch this vesc setup video made by @ludwig_bre? It’s worked for me, and I know many others have followed the gospel of ludwig.

I sure did. I plan on doing it again this afternoon before logging data in the pool

quick update. It was the prop gaurd causing the issues. Removed and all is well now. Thanks for the suggestions.

4 Likes

Can you tell us what prop guard you were using?

1 Like

What kind of charging times are you guys seeing? From 31v to 41v it’s taking around 10hr with the x12. I have it set for 10a but it’s only charging around 4.5-4.7a for some reason.

I ran a pack down to cutoff V today and then put it on my 5amp PS to recharge after it had cooled completely. There is some bounce back V increase after it sits for an hour.

For reference although elapsed time is similar to yours

This is charge state ~9.5 hrs later. Still not fully charged to the 41V so will take a bit longer

I don’t normally run pack down to cutoff but wanted to know how far I could go after VX3 battery bar showed red and it’s about 3km before limit kicked in. Not sure how far I can go in “limp mode” and don’t plan on finding out😉

Pretty much the same here. Finally ran it to nearly cutoff (remote said 7% reaming) and it’s taking forever to charge at 5a. The i12 is set to 10a but never gets that high. I just place it in the oven and let it charge overnight and still not done by morning.

What PS are you using?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SZSWZ6Z?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details