Begginer E-Foil Build

Thank you so much for this. Its super appreciated. My current build setup was most likely looking to be:

65161 (can I use this prop?) + 75300 + remote kit = $800
However cheap I can get a Slingshot Board = $400?
Pelican Case
P42A battery build? (I own a cheap amazon spotwelder) / something from Genuine Lithium Batteries for DIY Projects – Battery Hookup?

Total Cost ~ $1700 for a very rough, functional build that can easily be upgraded?
Those EML folding props look very very inticing however, so maybe add $150 for one of those lol.

Right now im trying to think of different ways to save costs on battery. 14s8p seems pretty standard for eFoil batteries but Im not sure how safe it is for a new DIYer to build a 112 cell p42a pack lol. 14S8P would leave a lot of room for upgradability, except its gonna be expensive as shit to jump into that.

Thankss so much for you comment its super appriciated. Sorry it took so long to respond, I thought I posted this yesterday only to come back to it unsent on my computer.

I understand that it wouldn’t be a great board to learn on, but would there be any maneuverability disadvantages using a board like that? I’m young so hopefully if I do build something like that, ill develop the skills fast to kinda work my way around that and learn it easily. And as for optimization, the fist thing I’m going to do if I were to optimize this build will be creating/buying my own efoil board to sit the electronics, for sure. I could easily sell the board to some surf friends also interested in foiling. (although if I am going to drill into it, and that affects functionality of the board, then this might be a different story) .

Also I found this site, I wonder if I could literally just cut out a box for the electronics (esc battery etc) and then fiberglass this puppy up. No way its that easy?

The outborder Propeller is too big, better skip the prop and get a proper one. They fit the motor with 12mm shaft and M8 thread.

dude thanks so much for this, and also thanks for that thread. That efoil is killer! You are getting up with <3000W? I have a question reguarding this. If people can get up using 2800W, and max speed also around there, then what makes the 65121 not a good choice for a motor, at max of around 3700W? is it less efficient? I see some builds using them and people usually congradulating them, or being suprised that they made it work with that specific motor

Gotcha, might go for the EML 3 wing prop or the folding prop then, I dont want to drill down an existing prop, that seems like work and probably too much on my plate for this buiild. Thanks so much for that advice

Yes you can cut it out but I think even the smallest blank is too long, I would not go above 1.6m in lenght and 65cm in widht. A board with 100l is easy enough to learn. Clearwater has smaler blanks, 5’0“ or 5‘6“.
See this post: What are your thoughts on the clearwater foil board - #7 by SoEFoil

94 or 82l volume.

Well, i have only seen one build with it and that was with a big board (less sinked, lower drag to get moving), small battery and heavily cut down prop.

In efoil it’s a must to produce the torque and speed to build enough thrust, inrunners are way weaker than similar sized outrunners in this regard. The 65161 is more than enough (=foolproof) while i don’t know the limits for the 65121 (how heavy rider, how small board, how fast wing, how much waves can be acceptable)

With the 6516x you almost cannot fail with your build and this is why it’s recommended. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Another note is that you cannot trust the chinese motor specs, some are roughly true, some are 100% fake - so if there aren’t multiple succesful builds with a particular setup then you take a risk that what you get won’t work.

The front wing surface and rider weight are also important. @jeffM, when you draw 18A flying x3.7x12 = 800W, what is your take-off power with your Veloce XXL (1900cm2 ?) with the different props : cut Yamaha, Flying Rodeo 3 blade, Fliteboard ?

Gotcha… so I’m gonna stick with the 65161. I was just wondering how powerful the 65121 was incase I wanted to build a eSUP or something in the future (I’m addicted).

I think I might go for the Clearwater blanks too, just to make this thing really pretty (plus the blanks are pretty cheap, might come out to the same price as just getting a normal board). Not sure how I’m going to build the box or waterproof yet, gonna watch more videos today to figure it out. Thanks so much for your help, I was half expecting to be shut down by this community and sent home telling me to learn more before coming here or something. Gonna buy that kit today just to set the project in stone and make myself commit to it lol.

For anybody that want to buid cheap and local you also have the home hot-wired cut 2019 @Clarin way, job finished by @Vincentbraillard. I hope they will chime in …
'Videos of electric hydrofoils around the world - #192 by Vincentbraillard

If you are shopping for a package deal this might interest you.

its actually cheaper to buy everything seperate for some reason…
Just got the 75300 water cooled, new 65161 with thread, and remote for 775 after that big shipping punch

I thought you said you were going with 65161 motor.

The 65121 is 1/2 the $ of the 65161 so that’s likely where your pricing difference came from.

Sorry I meant the 65161.

I’m curious how you got a Flipsky 65161 with prop, 75300 and their VX3 for less than the Group 7 price?

here was the cost breakdown

The remote adds $150 to the price in the group order, while only being $100 on site, etc

1 Like

Thanks for that.

My assumption was the “Group” pricing was better than individual part discounted pricing.

I went for the Group 7 deal and am quite pleased with the products. I tank tested the 65161 120 motor with the included prop a few days ago and after some gentle run ups I gave it full throttle and expelled most of the water in my tank in a few seconds. LOTS of zoom zoom!!

Buyer beware on the pricing I guess :grinning:

yeah i was going to go with the group pricing too, I just wanted to stay below $800 as I had a giftcard I wanted to use. You arent saving that much by doing individual pricing, but you do save. I also went without the prop ($30 cheaper) as people said the included prop does not perform well / optimized for efoiling. Have you finished ur efoil? Im super stoked to work on mine!

1 Like

Not finished yet but closing in. Ice just went of our lake a few weeks ago so not in a BIG a hurry :sunglasses:

Looking forward to the adventure as well!! :grinning:

Mind posting some pictures / build details/spec? Would love to know the route u took / skills